Used numbers.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a ID monitoring account because some Washington idjet had their laptop stolen. So I get regular updates if my Personal info shows up on "Dark Web" sites and such.
A recent notice was that my cell number showed up.
Verizon of course said that the cell number was pristine when I signed up. Yeah, right. And no I didn't believe it then nor now.
So what to do? Wifie and I are ready to get new phones and since we moved, we'll get new numbers. They will probably.be even less likely to be "secure".
Is it at all possible to get get a pristine number or is that just a dream?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure it is - and yours probably still are.

Robodialers use random callerIDs, and one of them used your number as its callerID.

Is it possible to get a number that no robodialer will ever use? No. Not that it's a dream, they use random numbers, and random includes any number that actually works. (A 9 digit number, in the US, wouldn't be used by a robodialer, but it wouldn't work either.)

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
How do those Robo-callers actually work? I ask because the ID monitoring software actually listed 2 names (previously?) associated with my Verizon phone, complete with an address. Curious I looked for that address with Google maps. No such location. The address had an extra digit, a 10k number rather than the 1k that are on the houses.
Either the software is generating a bogus number or the 2 individuals in question gave Verizon bogus info (and then Verizon couldn't bill a bogus number?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude