After seeing a good price on Circuit City's website and reading all the good reviews of this thing after it's been rooted, I ordered mine last weekend. Should be here this friday.

Anyway, I'm planning to Root it right away, but I have a few questions:

1) Is there an easy to way to back up and/or restore to factory ROM and software in case I decided I wanted to return it?

2) Where's the best place to get the step by step instructions on how to root it and get it setup with the latest and greatest?

3) What's the most stable option that will let me run most/all of the Android apps?

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide. I'm going to want to jump into updating it right away and worry about learning more in depth about it later. I am an IT technical type using both Windows and Mac, and I have an iPhone. I'm not worried about doing the updates, just finding the best place for info and hoping to get most of the info in as few places as possible with concise details.

Thanks.
    08-16-2011 05:26 PM
    Hope you enjoy your tab. I would check out either xda or Slatedroid. I am running Honeycomb(flashback over at slatedroid). It is laking hardware accelleration(check the videos) and camera but everything else works. It does netflix and other apps.
    08-16-2011 09:01 PM
    I'm running vegan tab gingerbread edition with no complaints. I would go for the honeycomb but I stream content from sites and didn't want to mess around with trying to get it to work. Overclocked to 1.4 without issues.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

Edit: Xda or slatedroid are your best options. Also, you need to see which version of your bootloader you have. There are different options for both.
    08-17-2011 02:00 PM
    What is hardware acceleration? Is that overclocking the CPU cuz Ive read plenty of people up to 1.6mhz.

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk
    09-14-2011 10:53 PM
    jedibbq

overclocking is a means of forcing the CPU to cycle at faster than normal speeds. There are pros and cons in doing it, but mostly good. Hardware is a little different. In the case where a graphics card can do some tasks more efficiently than the CPU, passing on those tasks would to the graphics card would be an example of hardware acceleration. This tends to be a very good thing.
    09-16-2011 07:24 AM
    Just to pile onto this thread (sorry), but I've been looking at these as I was close to getting a Nook Color, but these are now available for a comparable price. The only negative in the specs I really see is the 512MB of RAM. How does is effect/limit the tab?
    09-16-2011 01:00 PM
    I personally own both of those and I like them both. 512mb has not been a issue because I have nor seen an issue where that has come up.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-20-2011 10:41 PM
    Okay here is what I don't get. Can't I just download z4root,clockworkmod, and rom onto an SD card then place that in my Gtab and install them? Wouldn't I just boot into cwm and install (rom) from SD?? What's this whole nvflash and SD partition hoopla I keep reading about?? All these YouTube vids show usbs and computers but I'm wondering why? I rooted and installed cm7 all from just my phone I never once used a computer. I downloaded zip files from my phone and installed cwm from the market from my phone. Why all the confusion??

Sent from my M860 using Tapatalk
    09-26-2011 08:46 PM
    I think the reason they talk about nvflash is because if something goes wrong, you can get back up and running by reloading the OEM files within a couple of minutes.

Pretty much all the mods I did were done on the device directly. All I had to do was get the files onto the internal memory and start flashing in recovery. The first time I did it, I did mess up. Nvflash made it easy to back out and start over.
    09-26-2011 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD