location not accurate

rockcandymountain

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a g-tablet and I installed an app that requires that the tablet have the ability to show the location of where I am. I cannot find a setting in the tablet that will allow me to do that. Under Settings/Location & Security/ I have tried several combinations of whether to use wireless network location or internal GPS sensing. Nothing seems to work. What is weird is that when I launch the app that I want to use, it will bring up my home location and if Im a long ways from home, it still brings up my home location. Without being able to find out where I am using the tablet, I cannot use my app. PLEASE HELP

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

The easiest way to tell if your tablet is sensing your correct your location is to open Google Maps and see where it locates you. Make sure to press the target icon to prompt Maps to find your location, if it doesn't show it automatically. If Maps can't find you, then something is wrong. Are you in the US or another country?

Under Settings/Location, you just have to make sure Location Services is on, and you should be able to use either Wifi network location or GPS. In order for the Wifi location service to work, though, you have to be connected to a wifi hotspot, and then Google can figure out where you are based on that router's MAC address. In order for GPS to work, the GPS has to get a good signal--maybe your GPS sensor isn't working well. You could try testing it with GPS Test.

rockcandymountain

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
This tablet does not have Google Maps on it. I'll check and see if I can download it. This is running Android version 2.3.7 Not sure how current this is. When you mention to go to Settings/Locations I don't get the option called Location Services. I get Location and Security Settings. I wonder if my OS version is older. I did download and install GPS test and I had to set the location on the tablet to Use GPS Satellites before the GPS test would function. Once I did that, the GPS Test would NOT show my location. But here's the real twist. The GPS feature of the tablet had to have been working when I first set this thing up. Otherwise it would not show my home location when I launch the app I want to use this tablet for. I may end up doing a reset. If I can figure THAT out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
2.3.7 is Gingerbread--pretty old, and very unlikely that you'd be able to update it to anything more . The GPS doesn't have to be functioning when you first set up a device. It probably knew where you were by using your home wifi router information. So at least its location sensing works sometimes. Not sure why it can't figure out where you are when you're away from home. That's why I asked if you're in the US or another country--maybe it has more difficulty with figuring out location from wifi if you're outside the US.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a g-tablet and I installed an app that requires that the tablet have the ability to show the location of where I am. I cannot find a setting in the tablet that will allow me to do that. Under Settings/Location & Security/ I have tried several combinations of whether to use wireless network location or internal GPS sensing. Nothing seems to work. What is weird is that when I launch the app that I want to use, it will bring up my home location and if Im a long ways from home, it still brings up my home location. Without being able to find out where I am using the tablet, I cannot use my app. PLEASE HELP

A good question is did your device get equipped with GPS?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol