[How-To] Install a custom (and good!) ROM on the gTablet

Roknese

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i tried what you said, i downloaded the tnt lite v3.10. i unzipped it, and i placed the folder that said recovery and the zip file that says udate directly onto the root directory of my gtablet. i unplugged, i turned it off, then i rebooted by pressing the volume + and then the power key. it says

detect recovery key pressed

booting recovery kernal image

then it goes through the viewsonic see the difference screen with the 3 birds. then the gtablet screen with the oval.

it then goes to a black screen with a box and an arrow comming out of it as if its unpacking.

at this point, it recycles back to the viewsonic see the difference page. and as long as i hold it down it keeps doing this. recycling and recycling. the most recent time i let go and it asked me to do the end user agreement, the date and time and wi fi connections again. but they were already the settings i had, and it went right back to the original display and luckily i guess didnt even change anything on my tablet.

so what am i doing wrong? im aware that im doing SOMETHING incorrect but i cant figure out what.

at first i didnt root it. this time i did, but the page says to pick permanent root when the option is given to me but it doesnt give me an option for that when i run the z4root app

Last edited:

circustravis

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, i tried what you said, i downloaded the tnt lite v3.10. i unzipped it, and i placed the folder that said recovery and the zip file that says udate directly onto the root directory of my gtablet. i unplugged, i turned it off, then i rebooted by pressing the volume + and then the power key. it says

then it goes through the viewsonic see the difference screen with the 3 birds. then the gtablet screen with the oval.

it then goes to a black screen with a box and an arrow comming out of it as if its unpacking.

at this point, it recycles back to the viewsonic see the difference page. and as long as i hold it down it keeps doing this. recycling and recycling. the most recent time i let go and it asked me to do the end user agreement, the date and time and wi fi connections again. but they were already the settings i had, and it went right back to the original display and luckily i guess didnt even change anything on my tablet.

so what am i doing wrong? im aware that im doing SOMETHING incorrect but i cant figure out what.

at first i didnt root it. this time i did, but the page says to pick permanent root when the option is given to me but it doesnt give me an option for that when i run the z4root app

This same thing happened to me. Hopefully you have a SD card. There are recovery instructions earlier in this thread. Recover back to factory, and try again is all the advice I can give.

ladymeggs#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Got my gtab a few weeks ago and its my first time using the android platform being a long time die hard blackberry user. With no android experience, I was able to get tnt lite 3.1.4, the market fix and flash all working. Soon I hope to feel comfortable enough to try doing the clockmod, doing the partitioning and trying out the Vega rom. All and all its a great device and I'm having fun.

weare

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
recovery mode

at this point, it recycles back to the viewsonic see the difference page. and as long as i hold it down it keeps doing this. recycling and recycling. the most recent time i let go and it asked me to do the end user agreement, the date and time and wi fi connections again. but they were already the settings i had, and it went right back to the original display and luckily i guess didnt even change anything on my tablet. ....

I have a quick question for you. In your listing above you never say that you took your fingers off of the power on and volume up keys. I assume you know that you should remove them as soon as the recovery key detected message appears.
Hope this helps :)

Roknese

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
i did try to let go once i got the message, but nothing happened. i know i rooted it, i downloaded z4root and rooted it before i even tried. :mad: so infuriating

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site

Are you still having problems? The first step is flashing Clockworkmod recovery. This will not change anything visibly until you boot into CWM. Don't let the fact that you see no difference deter you. Try powering off. Power back on holding down Vol+ and Power again. When you see recovery key detected let go. If CWM flashed correctly you will enter into it.

The next step after that is to flash a rom of your choice. This guide recommends TnT lite, but I recommend VeganTab as it has really gone leaps and bounds ahead of the pack IMO. Roebeet works on this one too. There is an update guide at XDA here.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

ShiftyBob#WN

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
rooted and flashed using this procedure yesterday, everything worked perfectly... for about 24 hours. I booted it up this morning and now I am getting a force close message saying "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

after I click on "force close" the message goes away then pops back up about 10 seconds later. it won't let me open some apps now either. Anyone know what could be causing the FC? I already tried reflashing and that didn't work (i didn't go back to vanilla though).

another thing... when it WAS working fine, anytime the screen would time out (set for 10 mins), I can't get it to wake back up. I have to force it to power down by holding the red power button, then reboot.

ShiftyBob#WN

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I booted it up this morning and now I am getting a force close message saying "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

after I click on "force close" the message goes away then pops back up about 10 seconds later. it won't let me open some apps now either. Anyone know what could be causing the FC? I already tried reflashing and that didn't work.

ended up flashing recovery and going back to Vanilla and that didn't help. I'm still getting the same error message. I used "Uninstaller for root" to uninstall ALL of the third party Apps, but one wouldn't uninstall, which was "lockscreen widget". When I try to uninstall it says "Uninstall not successful". Also when I try to go into system settings the same FC pops up again and it won't let me access the settings menu.

ShiftyBob#WN

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
**WARNING**
You WILL lose your contacts by doing this and you will have to restore them. I am not responsible for any errors that may occur in the process. I am not a developer or a hacker, I'm just a guy who had a problem and fixed it with a VERY long google search. Cheers.

After HOURS of searching... I finally figured it out. Flashing Vanilla, switching Roms, rebooting, all that will not help as it does not erase personal data (which is where the problem lies). If you don't have it, I STRONGLY suggest you keep a copy of the Titanium Backup apk on your G-tab. If you have this force close problem, you will not be able to DL via the market, so you will have to sideload via the link I provided. (You MUST be rooted to use Titanium Backup).

Once Titanium Backup is installed, go to the "Backup/Restore" tab, scroll down to "Contacts 2.2", click on it, then select "wipe data", then scroll down to "Contacts Sync Adaptor 2.2.1" and do the same. Once you have done those it should have fixed your FC problems as I described in my previous post.

Somewhere in the process of switching Roms, your Contacts file becomes corrupt. When the system tries to update (which it is doing constantly) it causes a Force Close because it cannot access the file.

process com.android.acore FC and how i fixed it (source)

Viewsonic G-Tablet Rooted with z4root flashed with current Tnt Rom

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance