Hi there...

I have a question concerning the ViewSonic gTablet. Is it unable to sync my Gmail and Google Calendar? I see there is an Email application that will allow me to "check" my mail, sort of like a desktop Pop3 app would. And I see the calendar app allows me to import another calendar via a URL to an .ics file. But none of this is the same as syncing.

My phone is an HTC Incredible. It syncs seamlessly with my Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts. This may be a naive assumption on my part, but I was expecting that since the Froyo phone does it, the Froyo tablet would too. IMO, this should be a basic operation of an Android OS device...I must be missing something.

As has been posted already the UI is just awful. I really want to like this device--the hardware is great--but I can't seem to get it to do some things that I need it to do.

So...with the custom ROMs that are available, will the gTablet sync Gmail and Calendar? Or are there apps that need to be loaded that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!
    12-01-2010 03:13 PM
    Hi there...

I have a question concerning the ViewSonic gTablet. Is it unable to sync my Gmail and Google Calendar? I see there is an Email application that will allow me to "check" my mail, sort of like a desktop Pop3 app would. And I see the calendar app allows me to import another calendar via a URL to an .ics file. But none of this is the same as syncing.

My phone is an HTC Incredible. It syncs seamlessly with my Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts. This may be a naive assumption on my part, but I was expecting that since the Froyo phone does it, the Froyo tablet would too. IMO, this should be a basic operation of an Android OS device...I must be missing something.

As has been posted already the UI is just awful. I really want to like this device--the hardware is great--but I can't seem to get it to do some things that I need it to do.

So...with the custom ROMs that are available, will the gTablet sync Gmail and Calendar? Or are there apps that need to be loaded that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!
    Nealb,
    Same issue here. Heck, I can't even get the Gmail contacts import to work. It fails at step 2 of 5 saying "the service is not available. Please check your Internet connection." I saved them as attachments onto the SD card, but it still doesn't recognize them....

I believe there's a threat on the XDA developers site that discusses custom ROMs and this issue, though I can't put my finger on it...
    Anyone figure this out yet?
    Irish G
    12-01-2010 06:02 PM
    I flashed TnT lite and have not had any problems with sync gmail. I don't use calendar on my gtab so I don't know about that. I assume if gmail works, then calendar should work also.

Flash TnT lite, you won't be disappointed. It is much faster than stock.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk
    12-01-2010 06:17 PM
    The stock ROM does not allow for Contact or Mail syncing. Flash TnT Lite. It's very easy and there are good instructions both on this forum and XDA. It's faster and includes syncing now.
    12-02-2010 12:20 PM
    The G Tablet does not ship with any Google apps because Google requires devices to have 3G service before allowing their applications to be distributed. If you head over to XDA there is an update you can use to add these apps as well as the Android Market (which needs further tweaking).

I highly recommend flashing the device with a custom ROM (TnT Lite, ZPad, or CM6.1b4) but I don't think it's necessary to get GApps installed and running.
    12-02-2010 12:59 PM
    12-06-2010 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD