G-Tab or Archos 101 ?

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was looking to pick up a tablet and could not decide between the Viewsonic G-Tab or the Archos 101. I definitely want a 10? tablet.

Which do you guys think is the better one?

Thanks,

watersrules

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
It really depends (sorry, crappy answer). In all honesty, unless you root the G-Tablet, its not really worth it. I own one, have rooted it, and love it. Are they actually selling the Archos 101 tablets again? I had the same question when I was looking to buy, but couldn't find an Archos anywhere.

I vote G-Tablet if you root.

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I actually do not mind experimenting with root and trying a custom rom.

I was all set to buy the G-Tab and then I saw the story for the Archos 7" and did some quick research to see they had the 101.

Seems like the G-Tab has much better quality. Now to find one locally or on eBay for a decent price. Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours?

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine retail for $399 this week. They were on sale pre-christmas for less, but I missed the boat. I love mine. I've got it running VeganTab and it just flies. My boss has an iPad and he thinks it's great too.

Be warned, that the stock ROM is almost unusable even after the latest update. The think that pushed me towards this device is that it has really good dev support for Roms. I believe there are 3 or 4 roms for the G tablet and they are very far along. They update quickly and I have no doubt that this thing will get 3.0 and further, though unofficially. It's ridiculously easy to root and flash a custom rom. There are just a few things to know first.

1) Be aware that the internal memory of the device is /SDCard and the Micro SD you add is /SDCard2 (This is important to know)
2) The latest Clockwork recovery DOES NOT work properly with the G tablet so make sure you flash the correct one. There are guides with links here and on XDA.
3) Make sure you partition the internal SD Card after you load up Clockwork Recovery according to the suggestion by the ROMS devs. Viewsonic did not partition the internal SD Card and Android likes it to be done. The devs have recommended the settings. This is done in Clockwork Recovery.
4) After you flash a rom you may need to apply two patches. Lag-on-wake fix and G-sensor fix. VeganTab Beta5.1 includes both, but others may not. Make sure you look through the threads on XDA that pertain to the rom you are using.

After that you can enjoy a blazing fast tablet with great hardware. Really the only niggle I still have is with the viewing angles and they're really not that bad in everyday use.

ibod

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
screen was marginally better on the 101, but not a lot in it. much lighter and the bezel makes handling it quite nice. not sure how long battery would last.
biggest problem is it's too fragile. The case on one I looked at had split from handling during shipping maybe. packaging looked ok but a corner had popped and split. it isn't going to take a drop too well.
the gtab was a touch faster, the screen was the marginally lower contrast and better made/heavier.
the gtab wasn't a difficult win, both handled 'big buck bunny' video fine.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
i just ordered the Gtab off amazon for 349 shipped. i chose this tablet because it has a pretty decent and active dev community and also it having the same chipset as most of the high end tablets just being released it should have a very good chance at getting honeycomb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol