buying a viewsonic tab.. need advice though

Which Viewsonic 10" tablet is better?

• Total voters

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am going to get a viewsonic tab... no doubt in my mind i am buying one.. however there are TWO viewsonic 10" tablets out there... the G-tab, and the Viewpad.

the G-tab is the one i have seen most everyone on here talking about.. Amazon.com: Viewsonic G-Tablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2: Computer & Accessories

the other version is their dual boot capable (windows and android)...

Amazon.com: ViewSonic ViewPad10 10.1-Inch Dual Boot Tablet Supports Windows Home Premium and Android OS with Wi Fi/Bluetooth (Black): Computer & Accessories

my question is... which is better? and IF the 2nd one is better... is it compatable with the root/roms available on this site that everyone is raving about???

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
gotta go with the G-Tab in my opinion. yes, the viewpad dual boots, but it is only running Android 1.6. the G-Tab comes with 2.2 which is miles ahead.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
i think the operating system on the gtab is crap...as in useless...
i wouldn't suggest it unless you are planning on installing something like VEGAn instead.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I plan on rooting and romming the hell out of it. Now that ragnarokx got me into flashing and custom stuff I won't go back. I'm leanin toward gtab cuz its cheaper. And actually in stock. I can't find the viewtabs anywhere, even online. The gtab has amazing potetial to be a killer tablet... minus the crappy stock OS.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
VEGAn... beta 2? 3? 4? 5? And did you install using clockworkmod or clockworkmod3 (orange text)? I know how to root and flash my Epic 4g... but I haven't found much on how to do tablet. I plan on flashing it immeditely though.. tapntalk looks worthless. Unbox-screen protector- VEGAn.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
VEGAn... beta 2? 3? 4? 5? And did you install using clockworkmod or clockworkmod3 (orange text)? I know how to root and flash my Epic 4g... but I haven't found much on how to do tablet. I plan on flashing it immeditely though.. tapntalk looks worthless. Unbox-screen protector- VEGAn.

I used this to get me started

[UPDATED GUIDE] Install ClockworkMod, a ROM, Flash Player, and the Market Fix - xda-developers

beta 5.1 is the most current, right now anyway

you CAN use clockwork, i do...but make sure you use the version in the post. The most current one doesn't work right on the gtab

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

One other thing... I can't find any posts with download links, but I saw smewhere that there is an android app that will emulate windows 95- ie I can play my computer games from back then. Any clue about those and where I can get my hands on those .apk's?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!

One other thing... I can't find any posts with download links, but I saw smewhere that there is an android app that will emulate windows 95- ie I can play my computer games from back then. Any clue about those and where I can get my hands on those .apk's?

I haven't seen that. I know there was something out there about running ubuntu virtually...
probably works along those lines i would guess.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
ahhh so excited. JUST ordered my gtab and a screen protector. Next step- finding a folio case that will fit it. cant wait to get it, throw VEGAn on it, and get her up and running :)

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
sweeet deal. i was gonna go for one with a keyboard in it.. but i have a laptop for a reason. i dont need a full keyboard on my tablet.... so that case is perfect. i thought you could only order those in bulk. very cool that i can order just one. thank you! :)

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
sweeet deal. i was gonna go for one with a keyboard in it.. but i have a laptop for a reason. i dont need a full keyboard on my tablet.... so that case is perfect. i thought you could only order those in bulk. very cool that i can order just one. thank you! :)

they are still a little pricey, but i feel like it is worth the money to get one that is actually made for the g-tab. sure, there are cheaper options for other devices out there, but while they may fit the dimensions of the g-tab correctly, they cover up many of the ports/buttons.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
ya i definitely dont mind paying a few extra bucks (has free shipping too, so its not too bad) for something designed for gtab specifically. thats what ive been looking for and its been so hard to find. everything is for ipads. thanks for the link :)

mrovernite

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Newbe looking to purchase and root a gtab. Still trying to understand everything. For instance, ROM stands for Read Only Memory which overlays a newer version of Android OS onto an existing tablets older version. Is this correct? Also, what is an apk??

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
APKs are the file format for applications (like EXE files on PC).

Yes, ROMs are OS versions.

Make sure to read up on how to load the different ROMs based on which boot loader is installed on your gTablet.

- FroYo ROMs will have pretty much everything working: camera, HD video, hardware acceleration.
- Gingerbread ROMs have most things working, but don't have HD video or hardware acceleration.
- Honeycomb ROMs are getting quite good, but don't have the camera, HD video, or hardware acceleration.