G-tab on sale or NC?

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I see that the 10" ViewSonic G-tab is available at the local office supply store for $380. I've read through some of the threads in this forum and wondering if I should pull the trigger on this deal or the $250 NookColor. Sounds like the G-tab has superior hardware but the NC is $130 cheaper. Is the G-tab worth the premium in price? Help me decide on my first Android tab.

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So in my opinion the G-Tab is superior, only because of the amazing efforts of the development community over at XDA forums. The hardware runs circles around the Nook, yes the viewing angles are pretty bad, but for a single set of eyes it's very usable. If you enjoy tinkering with your device the G-Tab rocks, but if you are scared to root and flash a custom ROM then I'd advise looking elsewhere.

Sent from my Viewsonic G Tablet running TnT Lite 4.2.1 w/ Clemsyn's Kernel using Tapatalk Pro

neilept

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I am considering getting the Viewsonic, if only because of the screen size. 7 inches is too close in size to my EVO.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I am considering getting the Viewsonic, if only because of the screen size. 7 inches is too close in size to my EVO.

Hmmm, that is something to think about since I have an Evo too at 4.3 inches screen size. The ViewSonic might also be better suited for future iterations of the OS (Honeycomb) due to the better hardware right? So far I'm leaning towards the Gtab since I don't see the viewing angle as being a big issue. Thanks for the feedback so far.

tcoker79

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I too was debating this very decision. Let me say after deciding to buy the g tablet this weekend, it was the right choice. The 10" screen is perfect size, the hardware is incredible, and even for a first timer rooting and flashing the process was very easy. As for the viewing angles, in my opinion are fine, i have no problems. I definately recomend the g tablet.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0B5.1 using Tapatalk

ebbydo

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have both devices. The g Tablet is a superior tablet. The nookc does not have the processing power.

It will be intresting to see what B&N offers as upgrades in the near future, if they do upgrade to Android version 2.2 then the nookc may be worth the price for some people.

Lazorlink

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah that stinks. Yeah nearest store that has one to me is in GA. Im in OK. Wasnt able to buy one however much I do want one anyways so I never checked.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link Lazor (hehe)! They have one at the Sears in Greeley,CO up the road from where I live in Denver. I might just bite the bullet and buy it for the hackability alone.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have owned both, I personally liked the 7" size better and found the NC with honeycomb to be much better then the Gtab with any of the OS I ran on it (TNTv3 was the last I ran on it I think and what ever was out around that time)

bdgriff

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Bought my wife the NC, rooted it and it's def better now...Just ordered a Gtab for me TODAY!! Be here Monday!! 399 @ circuitcity.com

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I had no idea on the amount of development going on with the GTab. When i originally read about this tablet i looked the other way when reviewers were saying it was laggy. But after checking out xda and some youtube vids, i was sold on how the hardware handled custom ROMs. It is an ELITE device in my opinion, even better than the Galaxy Tab.

I got a rockin deal from a guy on CL for a mint GTab for $250 (already rooted; didn't matter, i would have done it anyways). I gave him some pointers on how to unbrick his VZW Galaxy tab, thus he dropped the price for me. I really lucked out on this deal. Hands down my best investment in the past year+.

There are many Pro's to this Gtab(future development on its amazing hardware being #1), but here are my only Cons:

-The viewing angle COULD bother some people, its not a huge issue for me tho.
-some G-Sensor based apps work with opposite tilt controls, making it a pain to use those apps. I know VEGAn Tab has mostly fixed this issue, but some still don't seem to work correctly because the tab runs the app upside down. (this issue i'm SURE will be fixed in future releases. its all just a matter of time with these amazing devs)

Thats pretty much it. Oh did i mention the battery life is phenomenal? yeah, it is. I actually get 10 hours of straight use, like flashplayer and games and browsing. Shoot, standby could probably go for a week! but i can't not touch this thing for a week! I love it!