TnT Lite or Vegan?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered this tablet from Amazon (J&R). So the only question is whether to flash it with the latest TnT Lite or Vegan, I guess.

Can we have a civil thread with pro's and con's of each? I doubt it's a clear-cut answer as to which I should use.

Thanks in advance for the input.
-AJ

Reactions: Infoknow

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
VEGAn here. the ability to use alternate keyboards (swype, thumb keyboard, swiftkey, etc) is reason enough for me to use it over TnT lite. i also prefer the stock android experience just because i am already used to it. navigating through the settings menus on TnT was just frustrating to me because i already have so much muscle memory built up with the stock android menus. as fas as i am concerned, the only reason to use TnT over VEGAn is that you can remove and reinsert the SD card without rebooting... something i never do anyway. even if i did have the need, a reboot takes all of 45 seconds, so no big deal on VEGAn.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Awesome info. I have some exp with my (rooted) D2 Global, so I guess going closer to "stock" is better.

Have you seen anything about Honeycomb on this device? That would put it (almost) on par with the Xoom, I suppose.

Thanks again,
AJ

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
A stable version of Gingerbread should be available any day now (VEGAn 6), i would imagine that the devs will start working on a Honeycomb version as soon as the Xoom comes out. As quickly as they were able to port ROMs from the Advent Vega and NI Adam, i would bet we will start seeing alpha builds within a week of the Xoom's release. I am still in awe of the fact that Honeycomb is already on the Nook Color. No AOSP has been provided and it is not running on any available device, so the developer on that one must be some kind of wizard, lol.

Last edited:

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I guess the NC port or Honeycomb was what made me wonder. That truly is amazing, but for the price, this hardware seems a much better value.

Now if the other wizards at VLC would bring their android app so we can show off the media capabilities, all will be right in the world! ;)

scottder

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess I would expand this to, what version of VEGAn or TnT are people running, I started following the VEGAn thread on XDA, and it seems there are people having issues with the 5.1.1 supplement, but 5.1 still seems fairly stable for most. Any thoughts? (Looks like I'll be getting my gTab around the 28th...can't wait!)

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious on an update to this thread. What versions of both are people using and what did scottder end up using?

I'm about to pick up on these tablets today so just wondering what ROMs to try when I get it. My dad also was playing around with the "Notion Ink Adam" ROM for this tablet last night. Does anyone have any experience with it here? It looks really impressive, but I'm not sure if it has the features of these more tested ROMs.

Reactions: mvasser#AC

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Vegan all the way has a much nicer android feel to it dont get me wrong tnt and the guys behind it are great and all i just did not care for the feel of it...

scottder

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am running Vegan 5.1.1 with the Clemsyn Kernel (v9) at the moment and am quite happy. Market is fiddly as always, but not an unsurmountable issue with patience.

Scott

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
After running the Adam OS for a bit, I flashed to Vegan 5.1.1 and have been loving! I really can't wait for an OS that is obviously made FOR a tablet, but at least I'm super familiar with Froyo. I'm really digging it so far and other than a few oddities havn't run into any issues.

One question: Scottder you mention you're running the Clemsyn Kernel (v9). I never saw a any mention of switching the kernal or how to do it when I was trying out different ROMs yesterday. Is there a Kernal/method you recomend, and what are the benifits? Like I said its mostly running okay, but I would love to see some things improve. Also, maybe the kernal was part of the ROM I flashed and I just didn't realize. I am using clockwork if that matters.

scottder

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading the Kernel is very simple, you get the Zip file here (current is v9) if you are running 5.1.1 then you want the Froyo kernel. Put it somewhere on your sdcard, boot into CWM and install it like you would a ROM, reboot and done. As far as benefits, mostly I wanted the Wifi to behave better, and stop it from dying when going to sleep, so far v9 accomplishes this nicely!

Scott

Reactions: Marshmallow713

drum747

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Calkulin. I like the layout of Vegan but man! The Calkulin is so snappy and has been running flawlessly for 3 days. I highly recommend it. The Clemsen kernel fixes the sleep issue as well so I recommend that also (clear dalvick cache after flashing the kernel) Run Calkulin's format all before flashing the rom and no issues, nice and clean.

Sent from my Calkulinized and Clemsynized G Tablet

Last edited:

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading the Kernel is very simple, you get the Zip file here (current is v9) if you are running 5.1.1 then you want the Froyo kernel. Put it somewhere on your sdcard, boot into CWM and install it like you would a ROM, reboot and done. As far as benefits, mostly I wanted the Wifi to behave better, and stop it from dying when going to sleep, so far v9 accomplishes this nicely!

Scott

Thank you for noting this... I've been having bad WiFi issues, and you never know if it is going to wake up from screen off or have to start new. Will try that this weekend.

My only issue is the market. I can't access some basic apps like Facebook or LauncherPro. I was able to get LauncherPro from their website, but I haven't been able to find a working Facebook.apk. Any help there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech