Just installed Honeycomb onto my Gtab and loving it. this ROM has great potential and i cant wait to see what it looks like when it comes out of alpha!!

Anyone else trying this out?

So far i have got Firefox working for web browsing. I could not get the Amazon Marketplace to work, I will try it again tonight though.

05-11-2011 10:30 AM
    Link for the rom?
    05-11-2011 12:22 PM
    05-11-2011 12:37 PM
    Thanks man! How's the stability of the rom? I know it's in alpha mode, but I'm still wanting to flash it and try it out. Is it missing any important functions as of now? Flash, market, etc? Any reboot issues or connectivity problems?
    05-11-2011 12:52 PM
    I'm at work right now btw, otherwise I would just flash it and check it out now haha
    05-11-2011 12:59 PM
    So far what its Missing\Broken is:
    • Gapps
    • gsensor
    • sound
    • browser does not work(have to sideload another browser)
    • USB does not work

it has been fairly stable though considering its alpha and only a few days old. Been using all day and only froze while using FF browser.

the tough part is install and getting apps onto it luckily they now have a working file explorer and WiFi works which was nice! I have only had it for a few hours so i will have more insight after a few days of use.

Regardless this is great progress and pretty cool.
    05-11-2011 03:12 PM
    That is awesome. I was unaware of Honeycomb being available for G Tab owners.
    I'm going to wait until they work out some of the bugs but thanks for sharing the link. Keep us updated with your thoughts.
    05-11-2011 06:41 PM
    Hi all wanted to give everyone a quick update:

after using the Gtab with Honeycomb for 24 hours:

Honeycomb runs pretty flawlessly and the experience is really how a tablet should be.

some apps still don't work and cause crashes which is the major problem.

Even in alpha this is very close to being ready for practical everyday use.

Breaking News: the man behind this project roebeet has gotten Gapps working on the device!!!!! he will be putting and posting and update for this ROM later today. now the only issue will be the camera which i personally don't care about.

Thanks roebeet!!!!
    05-12-2011 10:59 AM
    So far what its Missing\Broken is:
    • Gapps
    • gsensor
    • sound
    • browser does not work(have to sideload another browser)
    • USB does not work

it has been fairly stable though considering its alpha and only a few days old. Been using all day and only froze while using FF browser.

the tough part is install and getting apps onto it luckily they now have a working file explorer and WiFi works which was nice! I have only had it for a few hours so i will have more insight after a few days of use.

Regardless this is great progress and pretty cool.
    What's wrong with the Gsensor? I see your tablet is in landscape mode, you just can't put it vertical? If that's the case, that's not a big deal for me, because I usually have my tablet in landscape anyway.
    05-12-2011 12:57 PM
    What's wrong with the Gsensor? I see your tablet is in landscape mode, you just can't put it vertical? If that's the case, that's not a big deal for me, because I usually have my tablet in landscape anyway.
    With the Alpha 2.0 put up this morning GSensor is apparently fixed(haven't tried it yet). The Gapps fix should be up later today in possibly a beta 1
    05-12-2011 01:02 PM
    I'm still waiting on the Beta this thing is useless without the market.
    05-13-2011 09:25 AM
    I would check again because they have had gapps for awhile now.
    05-13-2011 09:38 PM
    Been using a2.1 for 2 days and this from is almost perfect market YouTube browser no lock up. Once USB camera work it'll be perfect regardless I would never go back this is how tablets were meant to be used.
    05-14-2011 12:49 AM
    The camera thing hasn't been a big deal for me yet because I haven't had a need for it.

The GMail app shading issue is a problem, but I can work around it for now. I got the GTab to mess/tinker with and less than a week after it got delivered an almost completely usable version of Honeycomb is out. Pretty amazing how the Android dev community works.
    05-14-2011 08:05 AM
    Gmail now working!! Clockwork and clockwork mount usb now working as well.

Still no camera open gl and in honeycomb USB support.

But this is now my everyday rom and they have daily updates. Less than a week since it was released amazing.
    05-15-2011 09:15 PM
    gtab.hc.Bottle.of.Smoke.alpha2.2 works well on my GTAB but wonder how to increase desktop font and icons' size. Any hint would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    05-17-2011 06:57 PM
    So is this a beta test for HC on gtab because I really want to get rid of tnt. Its like some one took winmellenium and tried making it into android.
    05-22-2011 10:47 AM
    so if i am understanding correctly from all the reading that i have done would i be able to go back to a cm7 backup just by using cwm if i dont like this? seems like i can but just checking also in cm7 the sd card is what the rom uses for primary then the internal storage as secondary. is that true for the honeycomb port?
    05-22-2011 01:24 PM
    so if i am understanding correctly from all the reading that i have done would i be able to go back to a cm7 backup just by using cwm if i dont like this? seems like i can but just checking also in cm7 the sd card is what the rom uses for primary then the internal storage as secondary. is that true for the honeycomb port?
    I'm doing it now after reading on it for quite a bit.
    I was on Vegan GE which has the stock rom 1.1 Smoke requires 1.2 and there are several warnings about trying to load Smoke or any 1.2 rom on a 1.1 G Tab. I had that issue when I installed Vegan. Didn't realize I needed to load 1.1 first.
    Anyway I've had to load stock recovery on to it (which lost my access to CW), then install TNT plus recovery & finally I'll be able to load Smoke. I'll lose all my apps, data & pretty sure my nandroid as well but I'm cool with that.
    Here is the link for info on the Smoke install
    [ROM] Honeycomb for GTAB 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com
    The link for installing factory 1.2 rom & recovery. You need to do a data wipe/factory reset once this is installed.
    [RECOVERY] GTab recovery firmware (official Viewsonic 1.2-based versions) - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com
    Here is the link to install stock recovery on you Gtab. You will lose CW once you install this but you won't wipe out your rom or data as far as I can tell.
    GTAB legacy recovery options (3588 Recovery Pack, cwm .8, 3588 recovery) - xda-developers
    jaugustu likes this.
    05-22-2011 02:21 PM
    Yeah I know about those sites but thank you tho. For my other question does the honeycomb port use the sd card as the main sd card or does it use the internal storage as the sd card by default? To be more clear I'll give an example. When u download something off the web does it go to the sd card or to the internal storage?
    05-22-2011 07:54 PM
    Yeah I know about those sites but thank you tho. For my other question does the honeycomb port use the sd card as the main sd card or does it use the internal storage as the sd card by default? To be more clear I'll give an example. When u download something off the web does it go to the sd card or to the internal storage?
    Sorry I didn't answer your question that was mostly just general frustration about my install & some tips for those wanting to install. Also I thought CM7 was a 1.1 rom?

To answer your question, the first time I booted it scanned and mounted the internal storage. When I clicked the notification tab it showed as an sd card which I accidentally unmounted. I'm not using an sd card. Obviously I couldn't download anything then but once I rebooted it used the internal. No need for an SD.
    05-23-2011 01:52 AM
    Ok... If I do decide to try it out I will have to switch data from internal to sd card and vice versa which kinda bites since I play alot of gameloft games and other games that use the sd card... yeah I'm just gonna stay with cm7 and patiently wait. Thanks for all the information tho.
    05-24-2011 10:21 AM
    awesome! thanks for the link, gonna have to give this a try. (im using CM7 right now)
    06-22-2011 01:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD