HTC Evo V pictures

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Post your awesome pictures (2d and 3d) from your awesome new phone ;-) .

62fda70a-a572-192c.jpg

Stock pic :)

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I discovered today that the EVO 3D camera is rolling shutter. Nice, because it tends to result in sharper pictures even when you're not perfectly steady. Kinda trippy because, uh, well... if you're steady but moving fast... things tend to stretch. :)

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Heads up on another issue I've found with the EVO's camera.

If you shoot in Widescreen mode, you're not using the full frame of the sensor.

16:9 = 2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels (3.7MP)

4:3 = 2560 x 1920 = 4,915,200 pixels (5.0MP)

And yes, the image is top and bottom cropped in Widescreen mode rather than reframed.

V9MeX.jpg
fIr1O.jpg

16:9 versus 4:3 at the roughly the same height. (As well as my hands would allow, using the black lines as a guide)

Last edited:

MrJedi

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Twelfth: noticed that as well. I am still questioning the amount of data the CMOS sensor is capturing. Many of the pictures I took with my OV have a file size almost 2x that if this phone. Other than having a flash. I have yet to take a picture that is better than my OV. Hopefully I will be able to do a fee tests this weekend.

Just kind if bothers me that a higher resolution picture has a lower file size (even on the 4:3 format). It means the OV had a lot of noise, or this phone is using a lower end .jpg compression.

Just doing a quick check it looks like the OV was using JPEG90 and not JPEG100 the file sizes are roughly double between the two (500Kvs 1MB). Based on the the few photos I have taken the picture aren't even being saved at JPEG90 on the 3D. Seems closer to JPEG80 as most files seem to less than 500k ( the one I just took in the dark of my dog with flash was 387k). I need to take more pics in full sunlight to compare, but I am not impressed so far.

It is nice to have a flashlight but that seems to be the only upgrade from the OV.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Twelfth: noticed that as well. I am still questioning the amount of data the CMOS sensor is capturing. Many of the pictures I took with my OV have a file size almost 2x that if this phone. Other than having a flash. I have yet to take a picture that is better than my OV. Hopefully I will be able to do a fee tests this weekend.

Just kind if bothers me that a higher resolution picture has a lower file size (even on the 4:3 format). It means the OV had a lot of noise, or this phone is using a lower end .jpg compression.

Just doing a quick check it looks like the OV was using JPEG90 and not JPEG100 the file sizes are roughly double between the two (500Kvs 1MB). Based on the the few photos I have taken the picture aren't even being saved at JPEG90 on the 3D. Seems closer to JPEG80 as most files seem to less than 500k ( the one I just took in the dark of my dog with flash was 387k). I need to take more pics in full sunlight to compare, but I am not impressed so far.

It is nice to have a flashlight but that seems to be the only upgrade from the OV.

It's using more compression. JPEG100 is still lossy but it's fairly uncompressed relatively speaking. JPEG90 will chop it down a bit. If you notice, in the camera settings, there's no option for "Fine" detail or any other settings for picture quality. So yes, the images are more compressed than they could be and without a setting to change how much compression is used.

The two grid pictures I took indoors with a CFL bulb skewed towards warm light. What's interesting is that the red lines fluoresce a bit. It's a standard red sharpie marker, meaning deep red. The paper it was drawn on is white, but I expect yellow due to the bulb's color temp. It just demonstrates that the auto white balance is rather... well... e.

I wonder if we can have better results by using a different camera app altogether.

If noise were the issue, the file sizes would actually be higher. Pictures I've taken were generally soft all around but it doesn't look like it's due to smoothing. Best way I can describe it is that the in-focus range for the camera is extremely limited.

Sadly, still a step up from the Optimus Slider's (which is technically a newer model) camera. Everything on that had a tinge of blue and nothing was ever in focus.

Like most cellphone cameras, outdoor and bright and sunny light tends to produce the best images.

While playing around with the white balance and ISO settings, I noticed something when the camera was aimed at my LCD monitor.

You can see the direction the shutter rolls when you've got the camera aimed at something that also has a refresh rate. When holding the camera vertically, there is a slightly darker wave that rolls from right to left. (When in landscape mode with the button on top, that means it rolls from top-down.)

Knowing which direction the sensor scans can make for some interesting effects if you know how to exploit it (as I unintentionally did with my skewed building picture from the train)

In the end: Serviceable, good lighting will produce usable shots. Everything will likely have to be resized down to 1/4 for it to look nice. (eg, Facebook uploads) But still another crappy cellphone camera sensor.

DG3

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I was using the Optimus V before getting the HTC V. I was hoping for a better camera, but it is a tad better than the Optimus, even if it's just because of the flash.

I'm still amazed at the photos friends take with their iPhones, so I'm a bit jealous still.

DG3

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Took a photo in town of a burger joint's sign. My friend's grandson is called Leo, and he likes to see his name.

IMAG0038.jpg

Anyway, the photo is sharp enough, just noisy/grainy as all get out, especially for a bright sunny day.

Oh well, I know that if I want to take great pics, I need to bring my point-n-shoot along. These cell phones are just for those times when a stellar image isn't a priority.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I found an interesting trick the other day.

If you're trying to play with the light levels on the camera but want it to be darker or lighter than it's adjusting for...

Aim it at something to get the desired brightness, hold down the button one stage and then move it up to what you want to capture at that brightness.

Example: Picture of the sky during the day is too washed out. Aim at the grass in a shadow, press the button down one stage and then aim at the sky, press it down to the second stage to take the shot.

End result will be a slightly darker shot of the sky.

My other phone cameras didn't do this, so this was new to me when I discovered it by accident.

Bluntsworth

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Good find. I will try it out sometime.
Lot of people hate on the 3d feature but i find it flippin cool as hell. This pic of the sunset looks neat in 3d. Couldn't upload it though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084