What happens after 2015?

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious, this phone runs on sprints wimax network and sprint said they will only be supporting 4g wimax until 2015. So what happens then, does the phone become basically useless since it will not be getting 4g anymore or will the phone just convert over to the 4g lte network?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wimax and lte are two seperate chips your phone won't magically convert to lte, by then theyll be far better phones to upgrade to anyway. My suggestion since your evo is a good phone wait and save up money to see if virgin mobile gets better phones.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I actually still have my optimus v on virgin. I always wanted an evo 3d but now since they're discontinuing wimax, i think I'll be waiting for an lte device.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Aww, that kinda blows, but I don't think wimax ever REALLY took off. Regardless, the phone should still have 3g in case you're not in an area covered by wimax.
If I ended up getting one(breaking down and buying), I'd have to find a way to shut it off because the nearest place that has wimax is over 100miles away(in Baltimore).

But the rest of the phone is amazing as far as I can tell.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Aww, that kinda blows, but I don't think wimax ever REALLY took off. Regardless, the phone should still have 3g in case you're not in an area covered by wimax.
If I ended up getting one(breaking down and buying), I'd have to find a way to shut it off because the nearest place that has wimax is over 100miles away(in Baltimore).

But the rest of the phone is amazing as far as I can tell.

Same here, there is wimax a few minutes from here but that obviously still does me no good since my brother can't even pick up the 4g signal on his evo(sprint). It just sucks knowing that if i ever would buy the evo, it will just be as slow as my optimus and it will never get wimax.

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Just my two cents: you shouldn't be buying the Evo V just for wimax. You should be buying it because its damn nice for a no-contract phone. I don't get wimax at my house but its not a big deal just to use wifi (in fact wimax is just like extended range wifi). So yes I'm paying $10 more a month for the same data speeds, but to me its worth it. The Evo V makes the Optimus V look like a child's toy. ;)

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Just my two cents: you shouldn't be buying the Evo V just for wimax. You should be buying it because its damn nice for a no-contract phone. I don't get wimax at my house but its not a big deal just to use wifi (in fact wimax is just like extended range wifi). So yes I'm paying $10 more a month for the same data speeds, but to me its worth it. The Evo V makes the Optimus V look like a child's toy. ;)

Hey i completely understand, i myself wanted the evo 3d ever since it came out on sprint and i still may break down and get it sometime in the future. The only thing is, with the google nexus tablet so close to release id much rather get that since my current tablet broke and it was the main thing keeping me busy at work, lol.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

Agreed! It is a pretty cool phone, but for some people, that makes or breaks a phone, if they can get better speeds. I'm still paying $25/mo for my triumph, and that is a major reason why i don't think it's wise to buy a new mobile for me. That said, if there was wimax here, I'd be much more likely to bite the bullet, sell my triumph and get this thing, even tho I got the triumph back in december.

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! It is a pretty cool phone, but for some people, that makes or breaks a phone, if they can get better speeds. I'm still paying $25/mo for my triumph, and that is a major reason why i don't think it's wise to buy a new mobile for me. That said, if there was wimax here, I'd be much more likely to bite the bullet, sell my triumph and get this thing, even tho I got the triumph back in december.

Yeah I think coming from a Triumph is a lot less of an upgrade than an Optimus V. I did consider just moving up to a Triumph or Optimus Elite, but I wanted to future-proof myself from wanting to upgrade in the next year or so.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think coming from a Triumph is a lot less of an upgrade than an Optimus V. I did consider just moving up to a Triumph or Optimus Elite, but I wanted to future-proof myself from wanting to upgrade in the next year or so.

If someone would want to upgrade to the elite or triumph now, would they lose their 25 dollar plan?

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded in December from the intercept, so yeah xD I've seen how amazing a phone can be compared to a prior model and graaaahjh xD

But yeah I'd lose my plan. But if my triumph broke and I used insurance and activated even another triumph, I'd have to pay $35/mo. If it breaks, I'll upgrade in that case.
I do love my triumph tho, but new phones graaaahhh xD

Sent from my Triumph using Android Central Forums

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If someone would want to upgrade to the elite or triumph now, would they lose their 25 dollar plan?

I upgraded in December from the intercept, so yeah xD I've seen how amazing a phone can be compared to a prior model and graaaahjh xD

But yeah I'd lose my plan. But if my triumph broke and I used insurance and activated even another triumph, I'd have to pay $35/mo. If it breaks, I'll upgrade in that case.
I do love my triumph tho, but new phones graaaahhh xD

Sent from my Triumph using Android Central Forums

The Triumph will allow you to stay on the $25 plan, no matter when you buy it. The new plan rates only apply to NEW smartphones RELEASED after May (or June, can't remember, whatever month the Evo came out) 1st.

SNad508

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
A better question is, in this day and age(and with phone lovers such as ourselves), who plans on owning the same phone until 2015?

In 2011 and 2012 alone, I've owned 6 Virgin Mobile phones lol.

If you still have a wimax phone in 2015, you can still use the phone, but only on 3G, which most people are probably doing anyways, due to wimax's spotty coverage.

KombatPat

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually still have my optimus v on virgin. I always wanted an evo 3d but now since they're discontinuing wimax, i think I'll be waiting for an lte device.

you're gonna wait three years for a new device? i dont know how you can do it bro.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
...since they're discontinuing wimax, i think I'll be waiting for an lte device.

If you still have a wimax phone in 2015, you can still use the phone, but only on 3G, which most people are probably doing anyways, due to wimax's spotty coverage.

So, uh, exactly where are you guys getting the idea that WiMax is CERTAINLY going to be switched off for Virgin users in 2015? Because 2015 is when Sprint's current contract agreement with Clear expires... you guys should know that these kinds of partnerships are renewed and/or renegotiated ALL THE FRICKING TIME.

Reactions: dwappo

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Let's just hope we get LTE with are "unlimited" data plan by 2015 if you think about it when the phone came out you would get WiMax for 2.5 years and I think that you should have saved up some money for a new phone by then.