Evo V Battery Life?

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Someone on craigslist has posted they want to buy a moto triumph(I can probably get ~150$ for it, which is only ~75$ less than I paid for it) It's rooted, running CM7.2.

Anyway, I was wondering, cuz a MAJOR factor of a phone for me is Battery life. How would you say the Evo(on VM) is compared to the Triumph?
Also, I know it's another re branded Sprint phone, so extended battery and otterbox?

I've been drooling over this phone for days and not too many people appear to be complaining about bad phones being released.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Someone on craigslist has posted they want to buy a moto triumph(I can probably get ~150$ for it, which is only ~75$ less than I paid for it) It's rooted, running CM7.2.

Anyway, I was wondering, cuz a MAJOR factor of a phone for me is Battery life. How would you say the Evo(on VM) is compared to the Triumph?
Also, I know it's another re branded Sprint phone, so extended battery and otterbox?

I've been drooling over this phone for days and not too many people appear to be complaining about bad phones being released.

Nope, nobody's complaining ^^. And I average 8-10 hours (on wi-first where I am) and still have around 35-45 battery left.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I leave Wifi on pretty much all the time, light call usage, moderate data/text usage.

According to Battery Left with a Moderate accuracy level, I'm averaging out to 34 hours battery life.

Not doing much beyond toggling things like GPS, Bluetooth and AutoSync off and keeping brightness to its lowest usable setting.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Woah, nice! I do keep autobrightness on, but I generally keep ALL GPS off, never use BT, and have autosync off.

I don't have wifi at work tho, so I'm stuck with 3g there, so I just toggle that to be off while I work(but I do listen to podcasts via earbuds when I work for ~7.5 hours a day(.5 hours to talk to coworkers lol) so it's often in airplane mode since I'm not using it to chat with my boyfriend while I'm working(like a good employee).

But 34 hours is pretty amazing, and makes the desire to get this android even stronger! Gaaah, and the potential buyer(i contacted them) said they had already gotten another phone, meaning no upgrade for me, w/o dropping the full price.
I mean, I'm not just gonna let an accident happen to my phone(insured). :(

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's mine for today, music all day, moderate usage:
62fda70a-92ca-8d3c.jpg

Reactions: Kale Blossom

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
As the screenshot from dwappo shows, the screen uses the most battery by far. If it doesn't bother you set the brightness as low as it can go, and you'll get 1.5-2 days out of battery with moderate usage.

Reactions: Kale Blossom

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's mine from today,
WiFi and 3g on all day but I didn't play any games or listen to music,mostly just texting facebook and tapatalk.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. My battery life takes a noticeable hit when I up the screen brightness when trying to use the phone during the day/outside/in the sun. I tend to see better in the dark so I generally have my brightness set to the lowest setting. Still quite readable even then. I'd go lower if I could.

My Battery Left stats have dropped a little bit since I've had to use the phone a bit more in the last few days, but my average is still holding out to about 31 hours. Each day the average life changes less so I think I'm firmly above 24 hours with my habits. Very decent considering I averaged about 22 hours on the Optimus Slider and the EVO is certainly more power hungry.

With my Slider, I tried seeing how long it could last until the phone powered off. The phone remained at 1% for over 4 hours. Never rely on system battery percentage. Battery stats can get a little skewed especially if you put your phone on charger often. Ever see that perfectly diagonal discharge line on your battery graph? That was estimated (system percentage) battery drain rather than an actual reading.

So the Battery Left widget is worth installing just so you can have a rounded average estimate of battery life with its own percentage instead of relying on the system percentage... which can be inaccurate.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I've tended to keep on auto-brightness with my androids, although I doubt it really saves battery life. I do tend to use my phone outside quite a bit, and it's rather frustrating trying to fumble my way around on my phone hunting for my brightness widget :p

Even so, this shows that this phone still has the same issues as all the other androids I know of. :(

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This is typical for me:

ScreenShot.png

The OP mentioned turning stuff off: that's a non-starter for me, I don't want to spend time "managing" my phone and it's one of the reasons I was ready to drop the Slider like a rock. So to be clear the usage in the screenshot is with EVERYTHING enabled (GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, you name it, except 4G) including Weather syncing every hour, email set to push or whatever the shortest interval is.

But we should also be clear that HTC's SmartSync is at play here. When posting your usage, post the graph, not the app list, you get a better idea of what someone's usage is because it shows how much awake time and screen on. But anyway about SmartSync, it's an HTC "feature" that disables the data connection from ~midnight to 7 AM. You can see this in my screen shot when the "Wifi" is off. I didn't do that. Apparently it's not currently user-configurable. There's a thread (or three) on XDA that discusses it and how to remove it but it's a serious hack to remove. It doesn't actually bother me because I'm asleep and it's probably one of the reasons this phone lasts so long.

As others have said, the display is by far the biggest battery consumer. If you're like me and you don't use the display all that much you will easily get 2 days out of a charge. This phone is pretty much perfect so far (for me).

snookay

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my triumph for $150 and purchased the evo v. Batteries are not comparable. The evo is far far superior. I use 100% brightness. When using the wifi, bluetooth, 4g this bad boy sucks the juice down. However today I am acutally doing a battery test. With moderate use and no phone calls wifi on, full brightness, it's going 13+ hours and I have 30% of the battery left.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my triumph for $150 and purchased the evo v. Batteries are not comparable. The evo is far far superior. I use 100% brightness. When using the wifi, bluetooth, 4g this bad boy sucks the juice down. However today I am acutally doing a battery test. With moderate use and no phone calls wifi on, full brightness, it's going 13+ hours and I have 30% of the battery left.

So we're looking at about 15-18 hours with full brightness. Interesting, but not surprising.

With Battery Left, my average has been stuck on 30 hours with no change over several days. Wifi always on, light calls, moderate data usage... but lowest brightness setting. I'm curious to see how much your battery life would improve if you cut the brightness down by just half.

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
For the average user, that actually uses their phone.. expect about 9-10 hours.

There are very few people that sit on wifi all day and telling anyone to expect a 30 hour battery life is very misleading. People have trouble getting that kind of life out of a Rzr Maxx, which has over 3k mh.

The battery in this is 1730mh and will at best get you through a full day. Expect to top up more than once through out the day, or at the very least.. to charge once a night.

It's average for an android. Not good, not horrendous.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There are very few people that sit on wifi all day and telling anyone to expect a 30 hour battery life is very misleading. People have trouble getting that kind of life out of a Rzr Maxx, which has over 3k mh.

It's not misleading when it can be done in practice.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For the average user, that actually uses their phone.. expect about 9-10 hours.

The battery in this is 1730mh and will at best get you through a full day. Expect to top up more than once through out the day, or at the very least.. to charge once a night.

It's average for an android. Not good, not horrendous.

Post screen shots of your usage. The rest is just conjecture/opinion.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc