Future expansion of WiMax network???

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Sprint has plans to expand their WiMax network, or just keep it around until 2015 or so...? I live near Milwaukee and have no "4G" coverage :/
... according to a sprint customer I know, Sprint was suposed to bring WiMax to milwaukee by February of this year, which they clearly haven't...

Vladabeast

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
False. Sprints Wimax contract ends early 2014. They are already launching their LTE network this month but they will also no longer be releasing phone with Wimax. Only LTE.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
False. Sprints Wimax contract ends early 2014. They are already launching their LTE network this month but they will also no longer be releasing phone with Wimax. Only LTE.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
Sprint's contract for wimax ends in 2015 not 2014

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Sprint's contract for wimax ends in 2015 not 2014

And Clear has already expanded into additional markets this year. They went from 72 to 88 markets. Most recently expanding within New York State.

People who scream ZOMG ZOMG SPRINT KILLS CLEAR AT 2015!!! need to pay more attention.

joeguru#AC

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Everybody is correct. WiMAX is not dead, but none of the wireless carriers (except Clear who is building a complement LTE network) is planning on using it post 2015. The nice thing about Clear right now is the available bandwidth. Theoretically, WiMAX has a higher throughput than LTE (but not as Clear built it). Clear is expanding the WiMAX network but not at the rate they (and the other wireless carriers) are sinking money into LTE. Why LTE and not WiMAX? Because WiMAX is an open standard and easier for potential market entrants to use to build and compete. Why is this bad? I don't know. Ask the device manufacturers? :)

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Everybody is correct. WiMAX is not dead, but none of the wireless carriers (except Clear who is building a complement LTE network) is planning on using it post 2015. The nice thing about Clear right now is the available bandwidth. Theoretically, WiMAX has a higher throughput than LTE (but not as Clear built it). Clear is expanding the WiMAX network but not at the rate they (and the other wireless carriers) are sinking money into LTE. Why LTE and not WiMAX? Because WiMAX is an open standard and easier for potential market entrants to use to build and compete. Why is this bad? I don't know. Ask the device manufacturers? :)

Hi.

Japanese company SoftBank is buying Sprint.

One of the terms was that Sprint would have a controlling stake in Clear so that they would be part of the deal.

For at least a week before your post, Sprint now has a majority, controlling stake in Clear.

WiMax has poor penetration and is extremely power hungry compared to LTE.

Since EVERYONE is moving towards LTE, WiMax will be dead eventually.

Clear is no longer an independent company. Clear's spectrum will be repurposed for LTE once the buyout is completed.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi.

Japanese company SoftBank is buying Sprint.

One of the terms was that Sprint would have a controlling stake in Clear so that they would be part of the deal.

For at least a week before your post, Sprint now has a majority, controlling stake in Clear.

WiMax has poor penetration and is extremely power hungry compared to LTE.

Since EVERYONE is moving towards LTE, WiMax will be dead eventually.

Clear is no longer an independent company. Clear's spectrum will be repurposed for LTE once the buyout is completed.

Clear is still an independent company Sprint just had a majority share. This is in case they want to do a take over.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci