Cannot make calls (sometimes)

zoulas

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I purchased the phone from RS the day it was available. Love the phone, upgraded from the Triumph. On occastion, it cannot make or receive calls. The fix is either a reboot or a bounce of the mobile network (off and on). I noticed it first when I was waiting for a call and after an hour or so of not getting the call, I tried to call the other party and the call would not go through. I tried a bunch of numbers and the same thing. It started working again after a reboot. Since I have had the phone for the past 6 weeks, it has happened 5 or so times. Is the phone broken? Should I get it replaced? Or is this a software bug that will get addressed eventually. I read on the VM reviews for the phone some other people having this problem as well. Many Thanks.

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. There is an issue with Ics. If you leave wifi on it causes the no signal issue. The fix uve been toying with is I downloaded an app called network from play store to make sure I I was and am on cdmay only. The second app I installed hidden settings by derrek reynolds. Go into powersaver settings and uncheck reduce cpu speed. So far that seems to have fixed the issue. I think whats happening is the cpu goes into a low power state and mes ses the cell radio up and with out a reboot or if your luck toggoe on and off wifi it cant recover the signal. Uncheckcing the reduce cpu seems to keep the signal stable. Ive been running it this way for a week and so far its working. I installed a db signal meter? as the bar meter is worthless. e db meter by logic monkey. Its free. If it says 120bd you have no service. I dont care what that stock lie o meter says. Lol

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Huh - I hope you are right about this Lance because I have about had it with this situation. My wife and I love these things, but when the phone and texting is spotty it is like having an ipod touch that I have to pay monthly on.

Multiple calls to VM and no fix - very annoying

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
ive had better luck with emailing them. you may have to email back and forth but at least for the most part they have been helpful. email them at saveme@thevirginangles.com. that the email from virgin facebook. they have been helpful for Most part and it english so there is no confusion. haha. I gave up on calling. email seems to he best form of communication.
Aldo you can dial *18 then send couple of beeps which assuming you have cell service will reset your cell connection. its an old Analog code for CDMAw butnstilll works seeing this is CDMA aka edvo 4gnot or what ever There claims are.
Good luck my issue according to them is ufana tower issue. my arse they have been telling me this for alnost two years. lol and if I tell them im somewhere rose they just say there experiance network issues. regardless of zip code provided. really???? anyway what I erige in my 1st post seems to have worked. and I dont leave wifi on all the Time as i had it set to auto connect when I get home. if I Need it turn it on and if not I leave it off. ive seem to had leas issuesw service Wish with it off and doing the tricks I mentioned . I already returned one evo as no Jagger what you Did it never had any service d?a out the Box aside from Test call from Store.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
This is an issue with the crap pri and radio software htc put together. If you want to fix it you can do the "fix everything by turning your into an evo 3d hide" over on android forums. You need to root and have s-off but I can tell you the fix works perfect and now I no longer have any problems.

Htc also said they are working on a fix but cannot out an eta on release. I'm very doubtful they will release anything anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

acbk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow... i got this phone last week... Was good for 3-4 days and then today morning i got two complains about the same issue. People were not able to reach me... My phone was at hand and showed some signal bars...
Had to reboot to make it work.

Am debating if i should return the phone... I love the phone but cannot live with such issues...

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Unless you are willing to root and do the fix above - I hate to say it but I would suggest you return your device.
I called and tried to follow their directions with no improvement and they kept me on the hook just long enough to get me out of my return window

Now all they will offer is a replacement and we all knwo that will not do anything.

I like this device, but if I cannot make or receive texts and calls it could be a real issue - emergency even possibly.

I am stuck and will be selling mine for a loss on ebay - you on the other hand should turn yours back in - and even with how much I liked this device I would suggest buying a different model now if using your phone as a ... phone matters to you.

Personally, for the time being I am switching back to my optimus v - and selling my EVO on ebay as soon as they go off sale on Virgin - then I am leaving Virgin - I was not at all happy with how I have been treated by their customer service.

Yes, I know that I pay crackhead prices and thus should expect less but they are flat out lying about this issue.

I am also going to post a BBB complaint - this whole situation has really gotten ridiculous and they are flat denying this issue - instead of stepping up

I always say that the biggest reason for no contract is so I can leave if I want to - so I am .

Once I get the cash out of these things (I have 2 evos for me and my wife - they both have the issue) I am buying a slightly outdated unlocked device and heading for T-Mobile.

Sorry for the rant, but I have logged over 5 hours on the phone with them for this very issue and followed all of their directions - waited for "tower maintenance" in my area - BS - and then found out that I should have been more of a D!CK at the beginning and just returned the thing.

Learn from my mistake and either get out from under this thing or prepare to just deal with it.

zoulas

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I took the advice of lance1555 and so fat 5 days and its been good. We will see. Guys I think all phones are buggy, they are jammed with features. I would have liked to have seen some help from HTC with some big fixes/patches.

boatman11

Banned
Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I took the advice of lance1555 and so fat 5 days and its been good. We will see. Guys I think all phones are buggy, they are jammed with features. I would have liked to have seen some help from HTC with some big fixes/patches.

They seem way too high and mighty when I called them.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Thought I should update my rant with some results...

My wife and I had written off VM completely and had started shopping for some of last years best unlocked devices to activate on tmobile when I got a call from VM.

Turns out that I had elevated my claim with the customer service that I last spoke with.

Apparently the term to use with them is "escalate" the case - as this got me someone on the phone (2 days later) with the ability to actually think and then act on those thoughts.

I told this lady that the ONLY thing that would keep me at VM would be a complete refund on the Evo 3d's we bought or 2 brand new one v's and a refund of the difference.

After a few boring minutes of her reviewing our account she overnighted 2 brand new one v's and also credited our account (that finally hit today) with $100 a piece for the difference.

Been on the one v for about 3 days now and this is the phone that I should have bought in the first place - true it has lower specs but - IT CAN MAKE/RECEIVE CALLS AND TEXTS wth no issues. So far I notice no difference in speed, but the battery life on the one V blows the evo out of the water!

Also - this thing is really slim and sexy - that evo3d is HUGE in comparison

I am very happy that VM decided to take care of this customer altho it was like pulling teeth at first. They convinced me to stick around - at least until the $100 account credit is gone for sure - and if these phones stay solid we will not be going anywhere.

This situation started as the worst customer service I had ever received, but they saved it at the end.

for me in all ways so far the HTC One V > Evo V

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
ill follow up here. WiFi on at home all the time or when I leave causes the phone to loose signal. Even though the dummy meter says I have service. a third party app that shows true db is at 120 you have NO service. in my case sprint, virgin and boost there are tower issues in my area. there is also KNOW via sprint that this particular device has a radio problem and if and when the ever release an OTA fix that should solve problem. so far I have 98% uptime. I have also been instructed via virgin to do ##clear# tap menu hit reset. basically it just reactivates your device. I've done it twice and it seems to correct signal issues. again leaving WiFi off when you don't need it. and for the most part things have been good.
if you do the ##clear# it takes a couple of mins to cycle. in addition, I still use the *18 trick as mentioned early post. it also does not help that they are removing the old nextel service while at the same time are upgrading and expanding the 3g/4g service. I know other sprint users who have called up sprint for a royal arse chewing being told it network issues with the upgrades they are preforming. so when all the towers are up fixed upgraded what's there excuse gonna be next? the flux capacitor is down? lol who knows.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Literally NO issues since I got my One V. They claimed tower issues with me as well - don't think so.

You need a significant software update or a different phone - I am glad I did the latter.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

dadto7_ac

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I find this thread so interesting. I went through this same mess recently with a different phone and T-Mobile. I had a Samsung Note II and really loved it but could not make call/text at home. I let TMO do their thing many times and nothing worked and had to turn it back in before the grace period ran out (while waiting for TMO to "fix" the tower issue).

It was interesting that the only way a senior tech could get the phone to work at home for me was following her instructions to set it back to "2G" mode and not use CDMA mode. But why have a 4G phone set to 2G so I returned it.

I really wish I had read Lance's post earlier as I suspect it will work on any Android phone. Good job guys.

1smoothcat

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. There is an issue with Ics. If you leave wifi on it causes the no signal issue. The fix uve been toying with is I downloaded an app called network from play store to make sure I I was and am on cdmay only. The second app I installed hidden settings by derrek reynolds. Go into powersaver settings and uncheck reduce cpu speed. So far that seems to have fixed the issue. I think whats happening is the cpu goes into a low power state and mes ses the cell radio up and with out a reboot or if your luck toggoe on and off wifi it cant recover the signal. Uncheckcing the reduce cpu seems to keep the signal stable. Ive been running it this way for a week and so far its working. I installed a db signal meter? as the bar meter is worthless. e db meter by logic monkey. Its free. If it says 120bd you have no service. I dont care what that stock lie o meter says. Lol

Found the app but its saying its not compatiable with my htc evo! Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Steve Over

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem on my Tinji GT-i9300 S3 clone with Android 4.1.1. I've tried all of the suggested fixes and non of them work for me:-
1. Setting the CPU to permanent max did not help
2. Turning off WiFi did not help
3. Signal boosting or auto signal repairer apps don't help

The only thing that stops this problem for me, is leaving the phone in a strong signal area.
I assume that there is a part of the Android system that deals with the signal, maybe there is an update somewhere?

Hartley001

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Found the app but its saying its not compatiable with my htc evo! Any suggestions?

I have downloaded hidden settings. what other setting should i check or uncheck?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance