Evo 4g vs Optimus V (just for wifi tethering)

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I use an optimistic V, and my cousin asked me about wifi cards- I told her a tethered vm phone would probably be cheaper since she just wants it for email on her ipad.

After a quick search, the evo 4g. Seems to be the cheapest vm 4g phone.

I'm posting here for opinions...
would the difference between 3g and 4g be noticeable?

Also, would the HTC require root like my OV did?
Is there a reliable rooting program for the evo
like gingerbreak on the OV?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes 4g is notable if it's available in your area. Root is required unless you pay virgin the added tethering fee. Root is a but more complicated than on the OV, see my thread in the all things root section.

You should check out the Wi-Fi hotspot hardware virgin puts out specifically for this kind of thing.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know what the most low-end (read, cheapest) 4g vm phone is?

Preferably one gingerbreak works on... (I rooted my ov without a PC. Ill need to do my cousins without a PC too.)

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what the most low-end (read, cheapest) 4g vm phone is?

Preferably one gingerbreak works on... (I rooted my ov without a PC. Ill need to do my cousins without a PC too.)

This is the cheapest 4g phone. I'm pretty sure this and the S2 are the only 4g phones available.

Again I recommend you look into virgins specific hotspot service and devices.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

ssiebor14

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The s2 is a great phone over all but, its all on preferences. The HTC evo v has its flaws and so does the s2. HTC rooting takes more than the s2 and I dislike the fastboot bootloader on it. I can't even find a reliable download link for the 4ext recovery and I really like that one let alone I can't install some of the roms I want with the hboot I have and can't figure out how to downgrade or upgrade it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

rgcaok

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I use an optimistic V, and my cousin asked me about wifi cards- I told her a tethered vm phone would probably be cheaper since she just wants it for email on her ipad.

After a quick search, the evo 4g. Seems to be the cheapest vm 4g phone.

I'm posting here for opinions...
would the difference between 3g and 4g be noticeable?

Also, would the HTC require root like my OV did?
Is there a reliable rooting program for the evo
like gingerbreak on the OV?

rgcaok

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I love my EVO, solid, dependable,fast. Have not tethered yet, but looks easy to do. I use mostly home wifi as 4G is a little weak in my house. But when I have used the 4G with good signal it is on par with wifi. If you are only in a 3G area should work for email and such but streaming probably not. If I could have anything I wanted I would have a Galaxy Note II on Verizon, not happening. For the money I think I have a sweet deal. I am clueless on hacks and root stuff, honestly havent seen a need

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams