Virgin OTA update on rooted EVO

pokiepup

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Y'ello all,

I am getting pestered by the OTA update from Virgin Mobile for ICS with filename:
OTA Shooter ICS 35 S Sprint WWE VM 1.14.652.0-1.13652.2release 291083f0wrax77ry0w073p.zip (misc underscores omitted)

3 Q's -
1. is there a way to apply it to a rooted phone? (it just reboots to the Nandroid menu.)
2. Is it worth installing the update?
3. Has anyone posted a version that can be installed on a rooted EVO V 4g?

okay... back to my Cap'n Crunch.

Thanks,
Pokie

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You need to relock your boot loader and run the ruu.

The update includes the radio fix but if you haven't been having any radio problems I wouldn't bother with the update.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

Rudo

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted on stock ROM with 4EXT recovery. I successfully installed the update OTA by just restoring the stock recovery first. The OTA update appears to only check which recovery is on your phone before it will install. I Did not have to do the RUU or relock the bootloader first (I am S on).

arrechin

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I am rooted on stock ROM with 4EXT recovery. I successfully installed the update OTA by just restoring the stock recovery first. The OTA update appears to only check which recovery is on your phone before it will install. I Did not have to do the RUU or relock the bootloader first (I am S on).

Did you root by flashing superuser or by flashing the rooted stock ROM?

I restored using the stock recovery found on the RUU, however, it didn't install the OTA.

Can you post the exact steps that you followed? And the stock recovery image that you used?

Thanks

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

salemblack

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone yesterday. I want to root it. I am seeing this update but have not installed it. If I do it before I root will I still be able to or will it take out my ability to root? Sorry about bothering everybody with questions.

arrechin

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I just got this phone yesterday. I want to root it. I am seeing this update but have not installed it. If I do it before I root will I still be able to or will it take out my ability to root? Sorry about bothering everybody with questions.

You should install the update before rooting. You will be ok after installing the update as it is firmware as opposed to just software.

So just go ahead and install it then root it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes update first, after root it takes a few more steps to update, save the headaches and update first....

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

salemblack

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I thought that would be the way to go but wanted to ask around and be sure. I am coming into this phone from the OV and its a whole new ballgame. This is the place that taught me how to root that phone so I knew it was where I was coming for the new one. I waited awhile to root the OV. Read everything here first then went into it prepared. These forums are great for information.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci