Default gov set to performance?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I was just playing around with my GF's Optimus Slider, partly because im a phone addict but also she's been complaining about the battery life. Well I may have just figured out what her issue is ... the default governor on her phone is set to Performance.

performance
Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times.

To put it in a way anyone can understand, this is like driving your car as fast as it can possibly go at all times. You'd get places faster, but would get terrible mileage, gas mileage in this case being battery.

I'm switching her phone to ondemand which should provide significant battery savings in comparison.

crux

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
the governor on my slider was set to performance too, but im not sure that governor was actually being utilized by android. you need a custom kernel to overclock correctly.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the governor on my slider was set to performance too, but im not sure that governor was actually being utilized by android. you need a custom kernel to overclock correctly.

Gov's have nothing to do with OC'ing, all NIX kernels need a governor to operate. The kernel is the controller between HW and SW and without it, nothing would work. The governor tells the kernel how and when to scale. It certainly is using performance. This can also be confirmed by the time in state which was 100% at 800MHz. When a kernel uses a higher clock speed (MHz), it uses a higher voltage to run at that speed. So by this kernel using performance which doesnt allow scaling, and is only used for benchmarking, it stays at 800MHz using the highest amount of voltage possible. This results in battery drain.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site

He's not talking about overclocking he's saying the default governor is performance which is bad for battery life by default almost all android phones come set on ondemand this help with performance and battery.It's all in the scaling of the cpu level. Ondemand scales a lot better then performance gov.

varpness

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Even if I change the gov. to a different setting, when I check the logs it still runs at 800 at all times. Had anyone had better luck?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Even if I change the gov. to a different setting, when I check the logs it still runs at 800 at all times. Had anyone had better luck?

Mine is scaling without any issues.

Time in state:
98304: 44.66%
196608: 2.41%
320000: 3.68
480000: 6.63%
800000: 40.2%

Note: The numbers i typed above won't add to exactly 100% because it was scaling while i was typing so they were moving.

varpness

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine is scaling without any issues.

Time in state:
98304: 44.66%
196608: 2.41%
320000: 3.68
480000: 6.63%
800000: 40.2%

Note: The numbers i typed above won't add to exactly 100% because it was scaling while i was typing so they were moving.

What are you using to change the gov?

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Underclocking was proven to drain extra battery life on the OV (same processor just not overclocked at stock) because it takes longer to process things and keeping the processor awake longer. Best clock speeds for battery life on the OV is to keep it between 600-800.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Underclocking was proven to drain extra battery life on the OV (same processor just not overclocked at stock) because it takes longer to process things and keeping the processor awake longer. Best clock speeds for battery life on the OV is to keep it between 600-800.

I'm not talking about underclocking. Were talking the natural scaling of frequencies controlled by the governor. Not forcing the Max value lower than its intended frequency

oatflake

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this and my battery life has almost doubled!

Fantastic find KSmithInNY, now my phone goes 30 hours on a single charge when I changed it to "ondemand".

Reactions: KSmithInNY

oatflake

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
What do you have it clocked at?

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

Max clock speed is still 800Mhz, min clock speed is whatever the lowest setting it will give me. The only change is using "ondemand" instead of "performance". After a full day, it spends nearly 50% of its time at the lowest speed and 25% at 800Mhz, with some smattering in-between.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Try setting the min freq to 196608. The difference in voltage would be negligible and the reward on the front end is slightly better performance on the UI. You could always change it back if you wanted to. The Optimus S/V/M etc etc are all set to 200 min, 600 max, ondemand by default. They had a 100MHz slot but nobody used it because of poor performance and screen waking issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer