[How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup

sharepass11

Banned
Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
while trying to root my atrix 2 it stops at daemon started successfully and never does anything it even says daemon started successfully when i dont have my phone connected to if some one could help me and magicly make my life easier so i dont spend a year on this it would be appreciated greatly

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
>Optimus slider section

>Asks about atrix 2

All of my wat..

Dude please go to the right section.....
Sent from my LGL55C using Android Central Forums

mmandhbo

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am new to droids & this is my first attempt at rooting. I believed that I was following the right instructions, but the result was very bad. This (http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html) is the place where I found the directions, but after the first section where the phone disconnects & reconnects, I typed adb shell and got the message error: device not found. I have since figured out that I should be using the directions from here (http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ls670zvd-zvh-100-automated-zvj-automated.html). My big problem is that I cannot get my computer to recognize my phone. I have uninstalled & re-installed the usb drivers & when I turn on the storage function, the computer recognizes the device, but when I turn it off it does not (debugging is enabled). The phone says that it is connected regardless of the settings, but the command prompt continues to give the error of device not found. I am sorry for bothering you, but your posts seem so incredibly nice & helpful & I have looked everywhere I could, literally spent hours searching for what to do with no luck. Any advice you may have would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry, the other thread was closed...

May 28, 2011
Visit site
i have followed these steps exactly and still can't boot into cwm recovery on my lg optimus q. my Q is rooted with rom manager installed and cwm recovery version 5.0.2.8. i have tried to flash 5.0.2.7. to no avail. i just want to be able to make a backup before i flash a new rom.

iAMsalm

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Same boat as tribulationwolf, never had an issue like this that I can't get passed. Optimus Q from Tracfone. I have the phone rooted, but just will not boot into recovery even after installing CWM 5.0.2.7 manually. with adb shell or "recoveryflash" method. Just stays showing LG logo until I reboot. Have even tried to boot into recovery with adb reboot recovery and same end result.

I will keep digging and will post if I am able to get passed this.

Edit: Nevermind, finally got it. I just re-downloaded a 5.0.2.7 from another location "http://androidarea51.com/***-all-things-root-***-113/clockworkmod-lg-optimus-slider/" and installed via adb shell, and rebooted into recovery from adb shell and all was well. I don't know what took me so long to just try another source for the cwm 5.0.2.7, but it's working so that's all I care about lol. Thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:

mac_rmm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi - I am still not rooted - finally got the phone to be recognized by the computer so that Daemon would run and just not sit there like it was doing for a while, but now nothing installs. I am just getting a bunch of messages that say things are not found. Any guidance is appreciated.

lgslider.jpg

Lurchmonster

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, first things first...thank you for this thread.

Now, I have gone through and step by step done each of the three things. Rooted, then Custom Restore, then NANDroid, though I did not know what I was doing as I was doing them.

Terminal didn't scare me because way back when I used to play in UNIX, and like DOS and hate that it's only in Windows now as a "pretend" thing, so I got the terminal lines right first time out (yay).

So, now that I have done all of this (though my superuser says it's outdated and fails every time I try and let it update itself internally) and in theory have a backup of my phone on the SD card in it...where is this backup so I can copy or move it off of the phone...both to free up some space on the SD card, and more importantly, to secure it in another 2 locations, so that I still have it if something happens to the SD card.

And...can I delete it from the card once I have copied it elsewhere, or does it HAVE to stay there?

Now that I have rooted the phone I installed (before I backed it up...bad of me, I know) "Wifi Tether for Root Users" from the google play store, tested it, and got it working. One of my two goals accomplished. My other goal was to remove the Virgin Mobile bloatware that comes with the phone (LG Optimus Slider, of course)...how do I go about doing this safely? Is there something I should NOT remove? There are things on there like Poynt, SCVNGR, Virgin Mobile Live, etc...stuff I will not use and do not need. How do I get rid of them now?

Is there any other benefit to my having rooted the phone? I am fairly satisfied with the phone and do not wish to change the way it operates if it will negatively impact the phone at all...I don't want a later OS that will run sluggish or crash, I do not need pretty graphics or silly noises added in, I just need a fully functional smart phone...and I needed it to be able to be a hotspot because I am hoping to end up with a Nexus 7 soon, and will need the ability to make use of it away from my home wifi.

Thanks in advance...

khabibul35

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what happened but my recovery screen is now just the LG screen

The process seems to complete just fine as I get no errors, but the recovery either didn't write correctly or isn't booting correctly.

I've done it twice exactly as was outlined in the guide and got the same result both times. the phone itself loads fine, but the reboot recovery command doesn't work and the Home + Vol Down + Power goes to the LG screen. Any suggestions?

Edit - Redownloaded the file (though I couldn't find a different source), reformatted the SD card and then tried to flash again via terminal emulator and same results.

Edit 3 - Tried to get it into fastboot so I could flash recovery via adb shell but the "adb reboot bootloader" command resulted in the phone resetting and that's it. When I tried to "reboot bootloader" via terminal emulator just got a reset.

Last edited:

calypso817

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
i tried this on my optimus slider and it said it worked (it didnt though) all the talk about zurglings happened and my phone shut off and came back on but my computer said i need to put in the disc that came with my phone (which didnt) and said to contact manufacturer to about the drivers. im new at this (like u cant tell) and i really would like to root my phone. can u help?

derrek22

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am new to droids & this is my first attempt at rooting. I believed that I was following the right instructions, but the result was very bad. This (http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html) is the place where I found the directions, but after the first section where the phone disconnects & reconnects, I typed adb shell and got the message error: device not found. I have since figured out that I should be using the directions from here (http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ls670zvd-zvh-100-automated-zvj-automated.html). My big problem is that I cannot get my computer to recognize my phone. I have uninstalled & re-installed the usb drivers & when I turn on the storage function, the computer recognizes the device, but when I turn it off it does not (debugging is enabled). The phone says that it is connected regardless of the settings, but the command prompt continues to give the error of device not found. I am sorry for bothering you, but your posts seem so incredibly nice & helpful & I have looked everywhere I could, literally spent hours searching for what to do with no luck. Any advice you may have would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

You need to make sure you have the drivers installed correctly and your phone is connected as charge only and usb debugging is on

Sorry, the other thread was closed...

derrek22

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
i tried this on my optimus slider and it said it worked (it didnt though) all the talk about zurglings happened and my phone shut off and came back on but my computer said i need to put in the disc that came with my phone (which didnt) and said to contact manufacturer to about the drivers. im new at this (like u cant tell) and i really would like to root my phone. ca=n u help?
Www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK4IJ4yZQGM or http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gK4IJ4yZQGM

Use this video worked for me first try go by her instructions in the description

Sofakingdumb

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
need an expert.
Okay I need a way to change the windows based batch files located in that zip file and execute them in an android based format that can be executed by an android terminal emulator in order to run those commands safely on my slider.

funsley

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
the link for the .img sends to me to MediaFire where i can download a WinZIP file and WinZIP says it cannot open .img files unless they are an ISO. any way around this??

fwuts

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To} Root, Custom Recovery, Backup, Flash ROMs

Background:
I have a Optimus Slider that is rooted. I bricked my Optimus V with clockwordmod and am now paranoid.
I want to create a backup so that I can recover if necessary. I am not trying to install new ROMs.
Question:
Can I create a backup by using the Power | Volume Down | Home button trick with out flashing or getting a custom recover?
Do I have to first flash the VM701_recovery.img file?
What is the advantage of a custom recovery?

Thanks for making this available.

DaveM6

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok so theres SDK's, and JDK's, and drivers and ..... ahhhhhhhh!!!!! lol all this stuff to know! Don't worry, when it's laid out in an easy to read way, and you actually take the time to read it (<-- Key), this is all fairly simple.

Requirements:
-Make sure you have a good charge on your phone. I suggest starting with a full charge.
-From the home screen of your phone press Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark "USB debugging". This is necessary to root the phone.
-You need to download Android Terminal Emulator from the market (free)

Instructions:
Root
1) On your computer, download and install THESE DRIVERS on your PC
2) On your computer, download LG_Esteem_Root.zip.
3) On your computer, make a folder right on your desktop and name it "fun" or anything you want.
4) On your computer, using 7zip, winzip, winrar or whatever tool you want, take the contents out of Lg_Esteem_Root.zip that you downloaded in step 2, and place those contents into your "fun" folder you created in step 3.
5) Plug your USB cable into the computer and then into your phone.
6) Assuming you followed instructions and enabled USB debugging, you should see an icon in your notification status bar on your phone that says "USB Debugging". Pull down notification status bar and select "charge only"
7) Inside of the "fun" folder, double click a file called run.bat ...

You should see the following on your computer screen:
IMPORTANT: Please notice below the same code is repeated 4 times when this exploit is run. Be aware of this. You are not stuck in a loop. This is intentional and how it's supposed to work.
Code:
[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00017118
[] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[] Trying a new path ...
[] Trying a new path ...
[] Trying a new path ...
[+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x401219c4 0x0054
[] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
[+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd260a9 0xafd39f9f
[] Poping 24 more zerglings
[] Sending 173 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
[+] Killing ADB and restarting as root..enjoy!

Can the same commands be executed via terminal emulator without a PC?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463