[How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup

DaveM6

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how I can find out which commands the run.bat executes, so I can manually execute them with terminal emulation?

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I may root my daughters LG Optimus V Slider. I had a couple questions.

I have rooted my LG Optimus V (NOT slider) and installed Harmonia 1.8 ROM on it.

It appears many people just root their Optimus V Slider phone and don't install a custom ROM. I thought part of the reason for rooting was to remove the VM Bloatware by installing a custom ROM. Instead, after rooting, can we just use Titanium Backup to remove some of the VM installed apps? Or if not - and a custom ROM needs to be installed, what is a good one? Is Harmonia compatible with the Slider Optimus? I haven't really seen a list of ROMs for the slider phone. I don't want to loose any phone functions due to not fully developed ROMs.
My daughter wants to sell her VM Optimus Slider phone. We did get it rooted, though did not put a new ROM on it - still kept the original VM ROM.
In anticipation of selling the phone, she did a factory reset/wipe from the Android menu instead of from the CWM Recovery. Now, it only boots into recovery mode. Are we hosed? Any chance to get it back to booting up all the way?

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I found some .zip files on the Android Central forums that I think were supposed to either be a custom ROM or the original VM ROM. Most of them gave an error when trying to install them. One of them didn't. It's called StockRootedQ-0dexed.zip and it doesn't give an error when applying it, but the phone still boots back into recovery mode.
I'm using CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 in case that makes a difference.

When rebooting after installing the Stock Rooted Rom 0dexed, it finishes and says: Enjoy. Install from sdcard complete.

But when reboot the phone, it goes back into recovery mode and I get the error:
CWM-Based Recovery v5.0.2.7
E: Bad boot message
"recovery "

Can anyone help?

extatic

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To} Root, Custom Recovery, Backup, Flash ROMs

I tried doing what you said and i'm copying and pasting it and getting an error
2013-09-05-17-14-14.png

misstoxic

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I found some .zip files on the Android Central forums that I think were supposed to either be a custom ROM or the original VM ROM. Most of them gave an error when trying to install them. One of them didn't. It's called StockRootedQ-0dexed.zip and it doesn't give an error when applying it, but the phone still boots back into recovery mode.
I'm using CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 in case that makes a difference.

When rebooting after installing the Stock Rooted Rom 0dexed, it finishes and says: Enjoy. Install from sdcard complete.

But when reboot the phone, it goes back into recovery mode and I get the error:
CWM-Based Recovery v5.0.2.7
E: Bad boot message
"recovery "

Can anyone help?

That's normal. Just ignore that and flash any roms.

misstoxic

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
My daughter wants to sell her VM Optimus Slider phone. We did get it rooted, though did not put a new ROM on it - still kept the original VM ROM.
In anticipation of selling the phone, she did a factory reset/wipe from the Android menu instead of from the CWM Recovery. Now, it only boots into recovery mode. Are we hosed? Any chance to get it back to booting up all the way?

O no she wasn't supposed to do that. Only do a factory reset from the CWM recovery. U can unbrick her phone. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=298147

raquel101

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for this tutorial. Followed all the steps exactly and didn't have any trouble. One thing I noticed though is that the VM701 recovery file downloads as "BobZhome_VM701_recovery.img" but no worries I just typed that into the code. One question though, I am learning Unix and on the part where you chance the file permissions for the recovery image to 777, wouldn't that allow for a hacker to easily screw up your image file? Shouldn't only the user be able to access it?

Dawn Dabinett

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Press and hold volume down and power until at custom recovery.

What if you cant get into recovery to flash I the 1st place how do you flash something then.
Or better yet when it does reboot it doesn't loop back it boots up and deletes every program you had installed all your contacts and puts you back at out of the box status>

What do I do then>>>>>>

Amory1380

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I just tried to download the second link, and Google Chrome told me that the file is completely malware.
do you have a safer link to download from? I don't trust this link.

neato

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello, just need to rename the recovery file before transferring it to SD card, or change to the correct file name on that command line.