Custom Recovery: Any Stability Issues?

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that the current release of CWM for the OS isn't completely stable yet. Is this true? Will there be a better version released shortly?

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: Custom recovery stable? Unstable?

I've found a couple of little quirks but the custom recovery is more than stable and does exactly what a custom recovery should. It wipes /system /data and /cache. It's flashes zips. It makes and restores backups of your phone.

I think where people get the idea that certain recovery images aren't stable is because on select devices, such as LG's, once you have a custom recovery in place doing a factory reset the "normal" way through Menu>Settings>Privacy>Reset will land you with a $200 paperweight. The good news is, you can factory reset the device right through that custom recovery so you havent lost a feature, you just have to do it a different way.

The only issue's i've encountered with the recovery are:
1) The message ( E:Bad boot message) on the bottom of the recovery screen. As far as i can tell, it is a display issue and has no impact on functionality.
2) The backups are usualy named with the timestamp of when the backup was made. With this recovery the timestamp of my backups are wrong, but they still restore.

These are the only issues I've encountered thus far and neither prevent the custom recovery from performing the functions we need it to which is flashing unsupported builds :D

EDIT - It wasn't my intention to bump an old dead thread. I wanted to reply in case someone new visits the forum, they don't read the OP and think theres issues with the recovery. It's times like these i wish i was a super mod again so i could adjust the thread title to something a little less scary like

[Q] Any stability issues with the custom recovery

OP if you ever come back and read this, you can edit the thread title by clicking edit on your post, then click "go advanced" and edit the title of your post which will edit the title of the thread.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Any word that those issues may be fixed? Doesn't seem bad to me but I always like things to be as least buggy as possible :B

To be quite frank with you, these are non-issues and I believe bob is working on a different project right now. If these were anything more than display issues and impacted functionality in any way I'd agree, but they don't. For the 30 seconds you may spend in a recovery per week, I wouldn't let a couple of visual issues keep you up at night.

I'm sure he'll, or someone will get to it sooner or later but the work being done now, by just a couple people which are likely the same people who would fix it, is much more important for the betterment of this phone and this community right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz