[KERNEL][GB] GingerKernel v07.1 (NOW FOR THE OPTIMUS SLIDER!)

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
is there any big change on the main home screen or at the notification pull down bar? and will this enable wifi hotspot?
could someone please post some pictures how it looks like?

It doesn't change any "looks" or ui to your phone. Its main perpose is to make it run better, more stable. If you're thinking of a custom ROM or theme, that's what you're looking for. But also, I do reccomend this kernel, extremly reliable and stable not also is it snappy.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

Neodemon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
This essentially made my phone useless. I only noticed 2 issues, the Menu, and Home buttons on the face of the phone (and on the keyboard) are reversed.. It's awkward, but I could totally live with that.
But the main problem is that I can't use WiFi. I can't even try to turn the WiFi on, when I tap the check box, nothing happens, it just displays error where it would normally display connection status.

I'm using the lgl55c Dirty Alpha ROM

Flashing that ROM back over this kernel fixes the issue, but I guess it also removes the benefits?
Also kinda off topic, but how would I update to newer gingerbread versions? like 2.3.6, I'm currently on 2.3.4. Just wait for someone to make a ROM including that update?

Last edited:

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
im trying to use this on my slider, i get into recover but this is what i get when trying to apply this.

E:Cant update using GingerKernal-VM701-v07.1-sigmed.zip

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
im trying to use this on my slider, i get into recover but this is what i get when trying to apply this.

E:Cant update using GingerKernal-VM701-v07.1-sigmed.zip

Don't try installing through the "install update from zip"

Install through "install zip from sd"

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This essentially made my phone useless. I only noticed 2 issues, the Menu, and Home buttons on the face of the phone (and on the keyboard) are reversed.. It's awkward, but I could totally live with that.
But the main problem is that I can't use WiFi. I can't even try to turn the WiFi on, when I tap the check box, nothing happens, it just displays error where it would normally display connection status.

Flashing that ROM back over this kernel fixes the issue, but I guess it also removes the benefits?
Also kinda off topic, but how would I update to newer gingerbread versions? like 2.3.6, I'm currently on 2.3.4. Just wait for someone to make a ROM including that update?

I was about to ask if this kernel can be used on the LG L55C, but your post totally confused me. This topic was started pre-l55c and since the kernels are the same I'd assume it could be. But I dont want to be the guinea pig for it. You completely confused me with this post... care to elucidate? Or can anyone tell me if this kernel would work on the l55c? I know this is like a taboo question on this forum but I am genuinely curious. And if not why would it not?

Edit: Okay I reread this for the third time and I get what happened. A kernel tells the hardware how to interact with the software... if im understanding correctly. It's like drivers on a pc... So you decided to flash this kernel on an LG L55C which would be my initial question...obviously it doesnt work. If not I'm guessing you're using a vm701 and you flashed the dirty alpha rom of an LG L55C onto the VM 701... hence the reversed Home key and Menu key. This is really confusing.. could you elaborate more on your post please?

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

First off, this kernel is meant for the LG Optimus Slider (VM701), NOT the LG Optimus Q (LGL55C). Since you flashed the kernel on an unsupported device, I can't help you.

As for updating to newer Gingerbread versions, you can't. At least not until someone ports CM7 to the Optimus Slider. And no I don't know when that's going to happen.

rwgast

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Im sorry this is probably not the best place for this but i cant send PM's yet and you had no info on GitHub so here it goes

Hi there, I stumbled upon your kernel on accident but im glad i did! I am also a kernel developer working on the optimus v vm670. My girlfriend own the slider though and im somewhat jealous of how snappy the thing is compared to my optimus v running ginger bread. Ive done alot of homework and these two phones are exactly the same except the software and the slider uses an msm7626T instead of an msm7626 chipset, the T version meaning turbo, obviously becuase it runs at 800mhz.

Anyways I have downloaded your rep and the the vm701 source from LG and im having the hardest time figuring out how to configure it. When i make menuconfig on either source tree, there is no ARM or MSM hardware options its all x86/amd stuff. I figured cloning your repo would have solved that problem. Im assuming i need the correct Android.mk or something for the options to show up? Id really appreciate any pointers on getting the config system for the kernel working properly. :) Thank you

rookie407

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
no it doesnt easier would be for me to include this in the rom before i bake it and just credit thoughs who worked on it! making ppl flash the rom then flash this is alot of flashing and not easier...

brian117

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why adding it would hurt anything. It's stable, not to mention the ONLY kernel for the Slider at the moment, it shouldn't do much harm to include it. Just be sure to give thanks to Drew in the post and link to this kernel thread saying "Thanks to Drew for making the Gingerkernel" or something. That way you're linking the kernel source and giving thanks/credit at the same time.

rookie407

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
drewwalton19216801 said:
rookie407 said:
hi there i was just wondering if you had any issues with me including ginger kernel into AreaSlider aka [AreaRom] its a new and upcoming rom for the slider and i want it to be the best rom it can be!

I personally prefer a link to the kernel thread (as opposed to including it directly) but since it is GPL software, you may use it as you wish. Just make sure to give proper credit as well as a direct link to the source repository.

BOOM!