Probably a noob question..

lizardurine

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I realize that this question is probably really nooby sounding, but how can I make a rom, particularly for the VM701? I know you need Ubuntu, and you need some sort of Linux Environment set up, but I have no idea how to do any of this. Can someone please point me towards a guide that actually covers all of this?
If someone wants to teach me how to do this personally, I can be reached on MSN messenger at Suz124@live.com

Mobstergunz

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If you want to theme a Rom for the VM Slider like changeing the colors, icons, fonts, etc..... you can use my Deodex Rom as a Base and modify the "framework-res.apk" in system>framework and "SystemUI.apk" in system>app its just a matter of changing .png files and when you get a little more experienced you can edit .xml files to change other things in the UI

EDIT: Its not necessary have to Linux to make a Rom you can use a zip manager i use WinRAR other helpful tools are APK Manager and Notepad++

Last edited:

lizardurine

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, but that's not exactly what I want to do. I want to try to make my own rom for the VM701, as in something completely its own, like the team hydro gelato rom. I've had an incredible of free time on my hands lately, and this sounds like something I can use it on, lol.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I really recommend 7zip, apk manager, notepad++, and google. You won't compile a rom.com without a case sensitive mac or linux os... but you can edit a rom using the tools listed above.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

estabien

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I really recommend 7zip, apk manager, notepad++, and google. You won't compile a rom.com without a case sensitive mac or linux os... but you can edit a rom using the tools listed above.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

I also found Dsixda's Android Kitchen to be very helpful to me as a beginner (which I still am).

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
There's a thread in the Optimus V forums called "Building your own ROM." You'd have to use a repo specific to your phone, but the basics are still the same. I'll post a link when I'm near a computer.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Building your own ROM

This is a nice tutorial, walking you through from the ground up. I used it myself, just last night, and successfully built a ROM from source. You're going to have to find the appropriate repo for your phone (or one of the appropriate repos, I'm not that familiar with the Optimus Slider). Hope this helps you out!