Different CPU setting recommendations

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to get a thread started to share what settings we use with a description of why those settings work for us. Also what app do you use to change the CPU?

I usually set mine as:
App: No-Frills CPU
CPU: InteractiveX
Min: 196mhz
Max: 800mhz

With those settings my battery last about 12 hours on one charge from being used often, usually to go online to check XDA Android Central Facebook Opera or just use Tapatalk, and I usually text with Google Voice. Data is really the major battery hog in my opinion, performance is damn fine with everything with these settings.

I'm trying something else today:
App: No-Frills CPU
CPU: InteractiveX
Min: 800mhz
Max: 800mhz

Battery isn't draining as fast as I thought it would, my device isn't overheating at all, the way it performs now makes me not wanna revert back. I thought maxing out the CPU would kill the battery, though InteractiveX does put the device into deep sleep pretty fast and wakes up fast as well, I'm guessing that's what's evening things out.

Sent from my LG-VM701 running Mobster Rom via Tapatalk

jetteye

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been using set CPU, but I just just removed it for the one you are using, because it has governor settings. I dont see a interactiveX choice on the governor settings. I heard running the minimum at really slows speeds is the same as a mac truck trying to move up a hill, its not a good idea.. I guess it takes alot more power to get it up to speed.. I am not sure about that, but I trust the source.. I heard leaving it near or around the same speed is best.. Like I said I am not a 100% sure, but it came from a good source.

gladesofsummer

GladesofSummer
Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been using set CPU, but I just just removed it for the one you are using, because it has governor settings. I dont see a interactiveX choice on the governor settings. I heard running the minimum at really slows speeds is the same as a mac truck trying to move up a hill, its not a good idea.. I guess it takes alot more power to get it up to speed.. I am not sure about that, but I trust the source.. I heard leaving it near or around the same speed is best.. Like I said I am not a 100% sure, but it came from a good source.

In order to use InteractiveX, you had to have a different kernel other than stock. So far as I know the only one that works for the slider is Gingerkernel, which adds SmartassV2 and InteractiveX.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I use SetCPU with a performance governor, and then create a screen off profile (eg when the screen turns off) my cpu (still set to performance) but with the governors max speed set at 480. This stops horrible lag at wake and doesn't cause a noticable reduction in battery drain, since the cpu isn't being strained while asleep. A performance governor always keeps your CPU running at whatever speed the max is set to. By creating the screen off profile my phone runs at 800mhz when in use at all times, and then throttles back to 480 when the screen locks. With this setup I ran for 3 days on standby without a charge last week while out of town.

amazinglarry

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
by default the Q and the slider run at 800mhz performance, meaning the cpu never stops having a freq of 800.

Having a governor that ramps up and down is useless if you set the minimum and maximum to the same frequency.

the way governors work:

ondemand
Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.

conservative
Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance
Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking.

powersave
Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times.

interactive
Available in many kernels, and becoming the default scaling option in most official Android kernels. The interactive governor is functionally similar to the ondemand governor with an even greater focus on responsiveness.

smartass
Included in some custom kernels. The smartass governor effectively gives the phone an automatic Screen Off profile, keeping speeds at a minimum when the phone is idle.

Reactions: kenbrasensei

jetteye

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
In order to use InteractiveX, you had to have a different kernel other than stock. So far as I know the only one that works for the slider is Gingerkernel, which adds SmartassV2 and InteractiveX.

Thats funny I was trying the GingerKernel over the stock today and was getting a couple FC's. I have used all the ROMs available, but I seem to get better battery life out of the stock thats been optimized.. The only way I can make the stock efficient is to clear the caches once a week for some reason, and I can get up two days out of the battery, I dont know go figure..

gladesofsummer

GladesofSummer
Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Thats funny I was trying the GingerKernel over the stock today and was getting a couple FC's. I have used all the ROMs available, but I seem to get better battery life out of the stock thats been optimized.. The only way I can make the stock efficient is to clear the caches once a week for some reason, and I can get up two days out of the battery, I dont know go figure..

Maybe clearing the caches is that needs to be done then, I'll try it. I got this phone thinking it'll be the same as the Optimus V but with a keyboard. And then I got it and figured out it wasn't so. At least I've learned a bit more about phones since then. But then there's the battery life...