Can't enter recovery mode

arch_angel

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems I've bricked my phone after attempting to flash the Xionia bootloader... I'd like to apologize now if I misuse some terminology, I'm new to this.

Basically, I cannot enter recovery mode. The button combo doesn't work, I can't do anything with adb, and the phone just sits on the LG logo. No black screen or anything. Only the emergency mode works.

I've tried every solution I can find on the web, the only thing I thought might work is using KDZ to flash the stock firmware onto my phone. But I only have a .cab file and it wants a .kdz file.

I've also tried romtools, which can't see the phone, and LGNPST which sees the phone but I can't do anything.

Thanks,
Arch

EDIT:
Took it by radio shack and told them the battery died while doing a software update. They said contact virgin mobile, but if it's fixable I'd rather not risk exposing my void warranty.

Last edited:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It seems I've bricked my phone after attempting to flash the Xionia bootloader... I'd like to apologize now if I misuse some terminology, I'm new to this.

Basically, I cannot enter recovery mode. The button combo doesn't work, I can't do anything with adb, and the phone just sits on the LG logo. No black screen or anything. Only the emergency mode works.

I've tried every solution I can find on the web, the only thing I thought might work is using KDZ to flash the stock firmware onto my phone. But I only have a .cab file and it wants a .kdz file.

I've also tried romtools, which can't see the phone, and LGNPST which sees the phone but I can't do anything.

Thanks,
Arch

EDIT:
Took it by radio shack and told them the battery died while doing a software update. They said contact virgin mobile, but if it's fixable I'd rather not risk exposing my void warranty.

You're phone is not bricked beyond repair. There are a number of reasons why I say use KDZ only as a last resort. Try this first

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/364080-unbrick-phone-lg-screen.html

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Is s/w upgrade mode the same as emergency mode? Pressing the buttons indicated in that thread does nothing, still just the lg logo.

No sw upgrade mode is how you install ota updates, which you do not want to do rooted.

Recovery mode - you are using volume down, home, and power all at the same time? You have to hold it down even after the lg screen comes up until you see it disappear. That is what you are doing?

Just to be sure hold down the volume and home keys, then while holding them down, push the power button and keep holding them all down.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

arch_angel

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
But the thread you linked to says to enter s/w upgrade mode and using LGNPST.... but you're saying I don't want to enter s/w upgrade mode... I'm confused :(

EDIT
Also that tutorial is for a different phone, do I use the same .dll and .bin for my slider?

Last edited:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
okay I see now. What the post is referring to as s/w upgrade mode is the download mode. I was confused because there is also an s/w upgrade in the settings menu when you have the phone on. So yes that's the other mode besides recovery

If you are doing that back key plus camera, you have to keep holding those two buttons down while you plug the phone back into the computer

arch_angel

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My recovery mode is toast, it simply does no work any more, the combination of buttons results in the same LG logo just turning the phone on results in. It used to work, but no longer. The ONLY function I have is emergency mode.

EDIT

also again about the .dll and .bin, do I use those for my phone?
The .dll in that thread is not on my computer, the only one that shows in LGNPST is called LGNPST_utility3.dll

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
when you unzip/extract the file that you downloaded, it should be in one of the files in that pack.

EDIT: it won't show up until you extract everything from the downloaded file

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you already have a custom rom on there before you flashed the recovery? I read one forum that said if you turn it on and just let the phone sit for about twenty minutes that eventually the phone boots. Then you could just use flash image gui to install the recovery

arch_angel

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I had LGNPST installed previously and apparently differs from the version in that post. I'm going to download that and install it from that source while I let my phone just sit and see if that works. If it doesn't I'll use LGNPST with the .dll and .bin and see where that lands me.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well Great. After using LGNPST I now get a black screen. The phone will not turn on. My computer does not see it. Is this the end?

I'll get you the next step, just need to dig it up. Im assuming you still can't get into recovery mode? You get an lg logo and then the screen goes black?

Last edited:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand why you're not getting at least emergency mode. Try pulling the battery out, put it back in, and then home + camera + both volume buttons + power.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Again, the phone does not turn on. I have tried everything within my knowledge of phones and the screen simply remains off.

I actually do remember seeing someone over on androidforums with this same problem. Might have subscribed to it, can't remember for sure. Also I know you said the phone wouldn't turn on. Sometimes you luck out and get it to cycle after you try a few times, and sometimes holding down a button combo while plugging it in makes it kick on sometimes also.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums