Optimus Slider Just Delivered!

scanf

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh, my very first smartphone–new again! I just couldn’t resist buying my first and favorite smartphone I’ve ever owned: the LG Optimus Slider on Virgin Mobile.

Brand new and complete with HUUUGE aftermarket extended battery next day shipping came to $115 and change. I am very happy!

The LG Optimus Slider was obsolete the day it was issued, lol. With only 157MB–that’s right MEGABYTES–of internal storage even back in the non-retina days of 2011 the thing was pretty much finished by the time you updated its native apps never mind downloading things from the Google Market.

So why did I buy it and why am I so THRILLED about owning it? Why, its magnificent QWERTY keyboard, that’s why! This is the phone that started it all for me. My first smartphone ever and was chosen specifically for that wonderful and spacious QWERTY keyboard.

I put up with its horrid problems: low resolution display, laggy, force closing software, microscopic amounts of internal storage and its awful beyond imagining battery life (hence the extended!). I put up with all that because it had one of the best physical keyboards around in a time when the iPhone had made them scarce.

This is also the time I started playing role playing games online and quickly discovered the joys (and horror) of texting other players I met through the games. My online friends became real life ones and I still communicate with many of them to this day. :)

Yes, this phone despite its low end nature, really holds a lot of memories for me and all of them happy. Though its flaws spurred me onto a search of non-laggy, larger screened variety, I have come full circle and still have not found a phone that simply recreates the simple joy of texting and messaging those close to you.

More expensive and better programmed devices sometimes function better but that onscreen keyboard never gets out of your way, always reminding you through the backspace key of its inefficiency at simple typing. Dreaded memories of my iPad 2 and its crappily placed spacebar causing me to send into global chat sentences filled with the letter “B” instead of my intended response.

I plan on using my Slider but without activating any Google services on it. The internal memory is so small that I cannot even begin to download data-stealing third party apps even if I wanted to. The Slider is just going to be a messaging phone and that’s that.
20150212_144514.jpg
20150212_151402.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Dang, that thing is a tank!:) Did you actually find it new somewhere, or was it an eBay find?

scanf

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Dang, that thing is a tank!:) Did you actually find it new somewhere, or was it an eBay find?

Tank indeed! :) And thank you for the welcome. Yeah bought new off of Amazon including the aftermarket battery, I'd been watching for months hoping to get it cheaper but no dice. I sold my Windows Phone and scooped it up next day delivery.

Last edited: