Virgin Mobile Vs. AT&T

alexarena

Jun 27, 2011
alexarena.com
I just switched from AT&T to Virgin Mobile...this is what I have to say.

+ It's $25 a month per line...on AT&T we paid $190 a month for 4 lines, that got us 750 shared minutes, unlimited texting, 2 lines with 2gb of data, 1 line with 250 mb, and one feature phone data-free line. This compared to VM which gives us unlimited data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes of talk plus unlimited GrooveIP voip for $25 buck a month ($100 for 4 lines).

+ I can pay for my service using old gift cards- I just dug out a bunch of old gift cards that I am using to pay for phone service. It's great. I'll have phone service for the next 5 months for free basically thanks to some gift cards I never would have used.

+ Service in my area is on par with AT&T, certain areas a better and certain are worse, so it evens out. I have yet to drop a single call.

- The data is much slower. I'd say that its probably 25-50 percent slower in many areas. We live in an area with outstanding AT&T coverage so the VM speeds may be similar to AT&T in the rest of the country.

- The phone selection on VM is far more limited than AT&T. I miss my iPhone sometimes and lets be honest, the Samsung Infuse is a beast.

+ Theres no contract...if theres ever a great deal on any other carrier I can pick up and leave. I love this because Virgin Mobile knows that they can't just leave me hanging after I've signed a contract.

+ I can get a new phone whenever I want. I think its safe to say the the Optimus V is the best VM phone out there, but when the Triumph comes out (or any other better looking phone), I can just put the optimus on eBay and upgrade. Hassle free.

+Unlimited Data, the main reason why I switched. Its amazing. I love using the mobile hotspot feature and my Macbook Air has never been more useful.

Did I miss anything? Let me know.

All things being equal-they're not. AT&T and VM are two different carriers, VM seems to be working for me but there are some people who just can't justify the switch.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind AT&t if they had unlimited data, didn't block sideloading, and they always complain about how their always overcapacity and then turn around and in their advertising and say
"We have more customers than any other wireless provider. Why don't you switch to us?"

Yeah...No Thank you.

My youtube must have broke yesterday because I saw the same at&t tmobile merger video ad eighteen times yesterday. I don't want to hear about the merger, okay?

Give me unlimited data on an at least half-reliable network with an android phone that doesn't lag (not the old mytouch, intercept, or that weird keyocera phone on cricket) be able to rip out the bloatware and I'll be okay.

Sure we all would want an evo or an iphone or whatever but I think the thing we learn from being on VM is that we don't really need all that. If I had the VM Optimus Black which is rumored to be released Q4 2011 with flash, a 1ghz, and a larger screen I'd be set for a very long time (or at least until android becomes laggy and unuseable like the mytouch 3g on stock froyo). If VM made mobile data just a little bit faster for streaming I would be set.

When people start talking about my VM phone I respond with "I'm getting unlimited everything for $25..and you're paying how much..thought so." I almost wish I was on a contract with VM for a deal this good.

And that's my extended rant for why I'd pick a prepaid carrier over at&t any day of the week.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
When people start talking about my VM phone I respond with "I'm getting unlimited everything for $25..and you're paying how much..thought so." I almost wish I was on a contract with VM for a deal this good.

A lot of my customers are shocked and act like I'm a genius and spend all this time figuring this out.
Um, no, I looked at each carrier and didn't discriminate against prepaid is all.

Of course the next thing they say is "well how is coverage" and "but I like my phone".
Decent phones, same coverage.

People are just too lazy to look into it (or so enamored with their Iphone to switch).
Of all the people I have discussed it with, which is quite a lot, only one was better off on another carrier and not one has switched.

It amazes me the dedication to Iphones, even when an Android user is showing you features you want and dream about on a phone and monthly bill that is only a fraction of yours. I'm beginning to think the Iphone must cook dinner and clean bathroooms because otherwise, I don't see how it's that good.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'll be looking at Virgin again after my Sprint contract is up. I doubt the plans will be as cheap by then though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol