looking for new sd card

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If 8GB will suffice, head over to Target and pick up one of their $9 Dane-Elec card/USB adapter/SD adapter combos.

Many people on Slickdeals, myself included, are getting impressive benchmark results from theirs. My "Class 4" gets 14 MB/s write and 20 MB/s read in Atto. Others have reported results much higher.

Dane-Elec probably just rebadges other manufacturers' cards, which would explain the variance.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
If 8GB will suffice, head over to Target and pick up one of their $9 Dane-Elec card/USB adapter/SD adapter combos.

Many people on Slickdeals, myself included, are getting impressive benchmark results from theirs. My "Class 4" gets 14 MB/s write and 20 MB/s read in Atto. Others have reported results much higher.

Dane-Elec probably just rebadges other manufacturers' cards, which would explain the variance.

there's been some talk that some of them are slow and some are fast. but it seems like they're using them for cameras other devices, so maybe it doesn't make as much difference on our phones?

also, is there a huge difference between class 4 and class 6, 8, or 10? what class is the LG Optimus V's stock 2gb card again?

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice much of a speed difference on my phone, but then my day-to-day usage isn't very intensive.

An SD card's class refers to its advertised minimum write speed in megabytes per second: Class 4's minimum is 4 MB/s, Class 6's is 6 MB/s, and so on. The Optimus V's stock card isn't labeled. Knowing what I do about Virgin Mobile, I'd guess it's a Class 2. Its read speed in Atto was on par with the Dane-Elec, but write speed was considerably slower.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the info. i think i'll stop at Target later tonight.

now i've never done this before, but i'm guessing that the best way to install it is to first copy the contents from the old sd card to the pc and then copy them to the new sd card using the adapter? should i format the sd card as well? if so, how do i do that?

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty much what you said.

Connect the SD card to your computer using one of its included adapters. Format it as FAT32 using SD Formatter, a program available from the SD Card Association.

If you're interested in trying Link2SD to take advantage of your new storage space:

1) Download Easeus Partition Master.
2) Launch Easeus. Right-click on your new SD card's partition and choose Resize/Move partition.
3) We'll need to make room for a new partition to hold your apps' information, so resize your existing partition as you see fit. 1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes. My Link2SD partition is 1GB.
4) Right-click on the SD card's unallocated space and choose Format. Format it as a FAT32 primary partition.
5) Click the blue checkmark in the upper left corner.

After that, transfer your old card's file to the PC and then to your new card.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks, so you would recommend formatting it through that program over your phone? that's the second time i've read that. thanks!

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Dane card at target, I got the 8gb for 12.99. The 4gb one was 14.99, I wasn't complaining. I parrtitioned 1gb and run link2sd and now space will never be an issue for me

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks again for the suggestion. i picked one up at Target last night and it's working great. i didn't do the link2sd thing because space really isn't a huge issue for me. i normally only carry between 50-60 apps at a time.

the speed is good too. my apps seem to load faster at boot.

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is the Dane hcsd the right card?

I think you mean SDHC, which stands for Secure Digital High-Capacity. SDHC is "version 2.0" of the SD memory card format; it was created to move past its predecessor's capacity limitations.

Regular SDHC cards are too big to fit in the Optimus V. Our phone takes Micro SD and Micro SDHC cards, which are about one-fourth the size.

The bundle you're looking for includes an 8GB Dane-Elec Micro SDHC memory card, a Micro SDHC → regular SDHC adapter, and a thumbnail-sized USB memory card reader.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay