Which ROM is right for me?

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a LG Optimus V for $99 at BB yesterday (got a $35 top off card thing whatever).

So what I dislike is this drain bug and it's inconvenient fix, I assume the custom ROM's fix this?

Also, I am interested in OCing this handset, and is it possible to forcibly install apps in the market place marked as "incompatible" just wondering?

I assume everyone here recommends a nice MicroSD card? What's a good 32GB one?

This is my first smartphone btw, but I am tech savvy and have done CFW on PSP and such.

I don't mind being stuck with 2.2.2, and I prefer stability and fully working drivers and such over bleeding edge gingerbread stuff :cool:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I would say get a 16gig card, they are pretty cheap and you may not need as much room as you thought. 32' are still up there in price, more than half what you paid for the phone.

As for roms,
There is pretty much only two you want to mess with, IHO (available in various configurations) and Harmonia. Being a new phone, Harmonia may black screen on you, but I am working oan a version fix it. Both roms have far better battery life and address the TWS issue but Harmonia has even better life.

For now your only real option is either IHO or flash Harmonia and then a Xionia kernel over it. Which is likely how I'll fix the problem for newer Optimus users.

Reactions: Z Overlord

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I would say get a 16gig card, they are pretty cheap and you may not need as much room as you thought. 32' are still up there in price, more than half what you paid for the phone.

As for roms,
There is pretty much only two you want to mess with, IHO (available in various configurations) and Harmonia. Being a new phone, Harmonia may black screen on you, but I am working oan a version fix it. Both roms have far better battery life and address the TWS issue but Harmonia has even better life.

For now your only real option is either IHO or flash Harmonia and then a Xionia kernel over it. Which is likely how I'll fix the problem for newer Optimus users.

Ah so newer Optimus's can't use Harmonia as easily? Thanks for the info :D

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but it only takes about 30 seconds to flash the xionia kernel after flashing the harmonia ROM, so it's not that much more difficult. ;)

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but it only takes about 30 seconds to flash the xionia kernel after flashing the harmonia ROM, so it's not that much more difficult. ;)

So you can flash the kernal even if the phone is black screening? I guess it's since I haven't personally done this yet that I am unsure of the procedure, I'll read up on that sticky.

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm reading the instructions to flash Xionia, I think I'd rather just use IHO for now. Any idea when Harmonia will include Xionia?

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't that drain bug corrected in the 2.2.2 release?

Aside from being rooted with the GingerBreak method my phone is still stock. If I don't use my phone much I've got a good 90% + left over at the end of the day. If I use it a lot I still have 60-70%+. I've been able to go three days without recharging it although I usually charge it every night.

I just got mine about a month ago. Paid $120 for it through a retailer on Amazon. I'm tickled pink to be done with AT&T overpriced mess! I was paying $70/month for only 200 texts, no data, and an assload of minutes I could never possibly use anyway.

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't that drain bug corrected in the 2.2.2 release?

Aside from being rooted with the GingerBreak method my phone is still stock. If I don't use my phone much I've got a good 90% + left over at the end of the day. If I use it a lot I still have 60-70%+. I've been able to go three days without recharging it although I usually charge it every night.

I just got mine about a month ago. Paid $120 for it through a retailer on Amazon. I'm tickled pink to be done with AT&T overpriced mess! I was paying $70/month for only 200 texts, no data, and an assload of minutes I could never possibly use anyway.

No, appearantly only some people have it, there is a test to see if you have it too, I definitely have it :'(

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The 50% "Time Without Signal" bug has been around for both 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 LG Optimus "V" releases.

A quick fix is to turn phone off. Turn phone on,then turn airplane mode on for 30sec. Then turn off.
This will have to be done everytime you turn your phone on.

A long term fix is to install a custom ROM like Harmonia which has the bug fixed. It also can now be installed through ROM Manager if you have the "V" screen.(the only supported ROM you can safely install on the Optimus "V"through ROM Manager)
If you have the "S" screen I wouldn't attempt to use ROM Manager to install Harmonia just yet. Wait until Leslie Ann adds the xionia kernel,and see if there are any brave souls that will try to flash it with ROM Manager with good results.
Harmonia is a really good solid ROM, with everything working, that gives you more App memory on the phone than any other ROM out there.
Leslie Ann also has a IHO CM-7 Gingerbread ROM you might look at latter on.

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm ok so I was gonna try out IHO, but my phone won't reboot into recovery mode, it shows the LG logo, but when it goes aways I'm left with a black screen.

Yes I had wifi on, and yes I read stickies and such.

Last edited:

Derek McNelly

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm ok so I was gonna try out IHO, but my phone won't reboot into recovery mode, it shows the LG logo, but when it goes aways I'm left with a black screen.

Yes I had wifi on, and yes I read stickies and such.

Having the exact same problem with my V. Followed instructions to a T and it's just not working.

(I did just pick it up yesterday, so perhaps I'm being a bit hasty.)

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Go to the rooting subforum and check out the sticky "how to fix black screen with custom recovery and roms". It looks like you have one of the newer V's with the new screen and drivers.

Derek McNelly

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried those instructions, and I've still not gotten past the black screen. I think I might have to try the Screencast method.

EDIT: Okay, it installed properly, however, I DID have to use Android Screencast (I'm on a Mac, so it was just the easiest way to do it rather than fool around with dual booting) and the IHO-Purity-X ROM.

EDIT 2: *sigh* Okay, it works, but the WiFi doesn't. Gotta figure that out ASAP.

Last edited: