T-mobile $30 Unlimited data, Text, 100Min Voice

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting development. Any GSM Android phone that uses Tmobile's 3G/4G frequencies works, and using a VoiP app like Groove IP could give unlimited calls. If I didn't already have $25/mo on VM, I would probably do this. Will see if better deals come out in response to this by other carriers.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe it actually drops to 2g, not 3g.
I had been looking at Simple Mobile, but this is mighty interesting.

One issue I have is that Walmart loves to get in bed with this sort of thing and then drops it a year later. They did online music and movies and both failed.

Edit:
confirmed, it drops to 2G.
I would jump if I knew what the extra minutes would cost. Knowing T-mobile, they won't be cheap.

There is still the issue of the T-mobile AT&T merger, if that happens, what happens to this? What happens to T-mobile. I'm not exactly a fan of AT&T. Though I suspect that deal won't happen, but that then leaves T-mobile still in disarray.

2nd Edit:
10cents per minoute for extra minutes.
Now they just need a plan with 300 or so to start.

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My previous Android phone (Acer Liquid) ran on Tmobile's prepaid EDGE network, its 2G data was about 200 kbps, which isn't too bad considering VM's spotty speeds & soon-to-be throttled speeds as well.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My previous Android phone (Acer Liquid) ran on Tmobile's prepaid EDGE network, its 2G data was about 200 kbps, which isn't too bad considering VM's spotty speeds & soon-to-be throttled speeds as well.

200kbs is good enough for my pandora so that is fine. My only concern is the 100 minutes. I average 150 minutes a month so it might be costly or I'll need to watch my minutes which I dread doing.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
50 minutes of overage would only be $5. That's still not bad if you're coming from just about anywhere except VM.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Unless you live in a 4G area. VM is sill a better deal.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

If this post helped you don't forget to say thanks!

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
200kbs is good enough for my pandora so that is fine. My only concern is the 100 minutes. I average 150 minutes a month so it might be costly or I'll need to watch my minutes which I dread doing.

Same exact situation here. The 100 minutes is just insanely low. I use between 100 and 175 minutes a month. Usually closer to 100 but always over 100. If it were 200 minutes I'd seriously consider a switch.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If there was a good arm7 phone under $200 I would switch. I avg 300 mins every month tho

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Whether or not this new deal seems good to you, it's definitely a good sign that some competition is finally coming to prepaid. Virgin Mobile has been the only game in town for a while (with their $25 plan). It enabled them to up it to $35 and still have people say "it's still the cheapest plan out there". Not anymore. I'm thrilled to see another top carrier enter into VM's price-space.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe a VoiP app like Groove IP uses only 64 kbps (128 kbps at most), and Tmobile's data is a bit smoother for VoiP than VM from what I remember (don't hold me to this though). So 100 voice mins can be worked around.

DF3

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Whether or not this new deal seems good to you, it's definitely a good sign that some competition is finally coming to prepaid. Virgin Mobile has been the only game in town for a while (with their $25 plan). It enabled them to up it to $35 and still have people say "it's still the cheapest plan out there". Not anymore. I'm thrilled to see another top carrier enter into VM's price-space.

Yea, it is definitely a nice break from seeing companies increasing their charges while cutting back on services simply because they know customers don't have any other options.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I believe a VoiP app like Groove IP uses only 64 kbps (128 kbps at most), and Tmobile's data is a bit smoother for VoiP than VM from what I remember (don't hold me to this though). So 100 voice mins can be worked around.

Does Groove connect faster on GSM? It's unusable for me on CDMA because the other person has several seconds between pickup and first hearing me. I've been hung up on because they thought I was pranking.

Skype, on the other hand, works great.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does Groove connect faster on GSM? It's unusable for me on CDMA because the other person has several seconds between pickup and first hearing me. I've been hung up on because they thought I was pranking.

Skype, on the other hand, works great.

Reduce the Mic Buffer. It will reduce that delay.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks but no it doesn't. It's a problem the devs acknowledge and didn't have a solution for last time I checked.

jmart981

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i saw this a few days ago, and i decided i'm jumping the bandwagon say if T-Mobile gets the nexus prime, that would be pretty sweet. I usually don't use much minutes at all, but texting and data are a must. So this plan would work great, it would be nice to have a bit more minutes becasue you never know, and 4g is a plus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2