Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
According to the picture of the only phone they offer right now - republic wireless - join It is a Optimus V, well the button bezel shows it to be a V but.... it is running a pure Gingerbread out of the box for $99.99!!! Why can't LG offer that to us since it is on that phone already?

Last edited:

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the button bezel shows it to be the Optimus S, not the V. Key layout is identical to the S. God help them if they're running the stock ZVH baseband 2.3 version that Sprint put out and then recalled 5 days later.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the button bezel shows it to be the Optimus S, not the V. Key layout is identical to the S. God help them if they're running the stock ZVH baseband 2.3 version that Sprint put out and then recalled 5 days later.

Exactly, let's 'wait and see' before anyone starts getting envious of this Republic Wireless phone (or the service that comes along with it).

Sent via VM670

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Apparently the S and the V have the same bezel, both have the chrome ring around the buttons. Either way it has a pure GB rom on it, well almost pure since it has Republic's wifi software on it.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the S and the V have the same bezel, both have the chrome ring around the buttons. Either way it has a pure GB rom on it, well almost pure since it has Republic's wifi software on it.

Same bezel, yes, but the Home and Option keys are swapped between the S and the V. Republic's seems to match the S layout.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's an article I found about it: Republic Wireless relies on Wi-Fi for dirt cheap $19 mobile service | VentureBeat

Most of us are surrounded by Wi-Fi connectivity at work and home, so it makes sense to rely on those cheaper (and much faster) networks. Once you leave a Wi-Fi network, the company’s phones switch to traditional cellular access (relying on Sprint’s network).

Makes you wonder what kind of crappy service you'll get off Wi-Fi at $19 for unlimited everything. But otherwise this is just a step down from the $25 VM plan with Groove IP.

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's an article I found about it: Republic Wireless relies on Wi-Fi for dirt cheap $19 mobile service | VentureBeat

Makes you wonder what kind of crappy service you'll get off Wi-Fi at $19 for unlimited everything. But otherwise this is just a step down from the $25 VM plan with Groove IP.

True, but unless your an older VM customer you will be paying 35 a month, plus it is supposed to be better wifi calling than using a voip like GrooveIP and the off-wifi service is full Sprint and not leftovers like VM as per a reply I received from Republic.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Spiral_ouT#AC

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
True, but unless your an older VM customer you will be paying 35 a month, plus it is supposed to be better wifi calling than using a voip like GrooveIP and the off-wifi service is full Sprint and not leftovers like VM as per a reply I received from Republic.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

That's what I've read too, that it's full Sprint service when off WiFi.

The Catch:
You're not a "customer" when you sign up for their service, you're a "member". That gives them the ability to kick you off of their service at any time if you don't limit your off WiFi usage to what they deem fair.

What's fair?:

"While not on Wifi, you're limited to 550 minutes, 150 SMS messages, and 300MB data monthly while on Republic Wireless' 3G network. Go over those numbers, and you've violated Republic's fair use policy"

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
That's what I've read too, that it's full Sprint service when off WiFi.

The Catch:
You're not a "customer" when you sign up for their service, you're a "member". That gives them the ability to kick you off of their service at any time if you don't limit your off WiFi usage to what they deem fair.

What's fair?:

"While not on Wifi, you're limited to 550 minutes, 150 SMS messages, and 300MB data monthly while on Republic Wireless' 3G network. Go over those numbers, and you've violated Republic's fair use policy"

well for those talkers out there, this is a great deal (as long as you don't go over)

But for those data/text people like me, we should stick with VM or T-mobile. lol

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well the whole point of the post was that it had a pure GB Rom on it. If your like me and are around wifi at work and at home then it's not that bad of a deal. The overage doesn't automatically mean they kick you off, they will help you figure out how to not go over.

skealoha86

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
150 texts and 300MB of data? DEAL BREAKER!!! Haha I would get kicked off of their network in less than an hour..

Port your cell number to Google Voice and do your texting through it using data only... then hang around a lot of open wifi hotspots...

What about voicemail - do they integrate with Google Voice seamlessly? VMo doesn't let you forward unanswered calls to Google Voice... I'm very interested!

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What about voicemail - do they integrate with Google Voice seamlessly? VMo doesn't let you forward unanswered calls to Google Voice... I'm very interested!

I beg to differ. I have my google voice set up to go to my VM cell and then it goes to google voice. I unfortunately get a VM voicemail with the announce call thing "press 1 to accept, blah blah"

But it works

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
150 texts and 300MB of data? DEAL BREAKER!!! Haha I would get kicked off of their network in less than an hour..

They call it unlimited, but they put definitive limits the service. Wow.....sounds like a crap shoot to me!

Agreed, plus after taxes it comes out to be the same amount as I pay for VM although I'm planning to switch to the new Tmo plan anyway cus these data speeds kill me

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ. I have my google voice set up to go to my VM cell and then it goes to google voice. I unfortunately get a VM voicemail with the announce call thing "press 1 to accept, blah blah"

But it works

There's a workaround for this. Just set your VM outgoing greeting to a minute long (I just use recorded music), GV will keep ringing and your VM voicemail should never pick up if someone calls your GV number.

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Port your cell number to Google Voice and do your texting through it using data only... then hang around a lot of open wifi hotspots...

You need to read more about how this deal works. The republic phone is designed to take advantage of wifi anytime it can.. automatically. Then it routs all voice, text, and data through the wifi instead of through the cell.

The limits imposed by republic ONLY apply to what's being transmitted through cell. In other words, if you're in a wifi zone and send 1000 texts and then go outside of the wifi zone and send 20 texts, then only those 20 texts count against your "limits".

The whole operation is supposed to be seamless to the user.

It sounds pretty smart to me. I've heard of people buying the V and not even bothering to activate it - and using it for communications only through wifi. IIRC even unactivated phones by law have to work with 911 calling so emergency calls are taken care of too.

It seems to me the $20/month republic deal is a nice compromise for those who don't want to spend a lot of money and for those who don't want to be without service.

For those people complaining about data speeds I have to ask... WHAT THE HECK DO YOU USE YOUR PHONE FOR?! Really if 3G speeds aren't good enough then you really must be downloading a lot of crap.. or tethering - either way even the Virgin plan isn't going to be good enough for you!

ryuusei94

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
For those people complaining about data speeds I have to ask... WHAT THE HECK DO YOU USE YOUR PHONE FOR?! Really if 3G speeds aren't good enough then you really must be downloading a lot of crap.. or tethering - either way even the Virgin plan isn't going to be good enough for you!

I use my phone to show my grandfather replays of foot ball games when i visit him.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci