minutes used calling on wifi

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I discovered that calling on my home wifi network still used up my limited minutes. How does VM know that the data being transferred via wifi is voice data.
Is there a way to make calls on wifi without using limited minutes?

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're using groove ip, check in the settings for a mobile network fallback. It's possible that in that situation groove ip failed to connect and used VMs network.

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
What were you using to call on wifi?

I have a few questions about groove ip.
1. Does it matter,VM minutes wise, if you use 3g or wifi calling out using groove ip
2. Can you call international numbers using groove ip? Again any difference, minutes wise, 3g or wifi?
3 How about incoming calls? Any way for calls to my VM number be changed to come in via my google number?

thanks in advance

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions about groove ip.
1. Does it matter,VM minutes wise, if you use 3g or wifi calling out using groove ip
2. Can you call international numbers using groove ip? Again any difference, minutes wise, 3g or wifi?
3 How about incoming calls? Any way for calls to my VM number be changed to come in via my google number?

thanks in advance

1) When using groove ip, unless you have it set to fallback to the native dialer and the cell network (in case groove ip fails to connect for some reason), then groove ip should never touch your minutes, whether you're on 3G or wifi.

2)as for international numbers, the developer might have to answer that one, as international calls aren't free through google voice, they're just really cheap. So my guess is as long as you have money in your google voice account it should work.

3) the only way to get incoming calls to your VM number to go to your google voice number would be to port your VM number to google voice, but of course, you'll lose whatever VM service you had on that phone. (so if you're on the new $35 plans you could just get a new VM number after porting the old one to google voice, but if you're on the old $25 plans then you'll have to switch to the $35 plan)

Otherwise all you can do is tell people to start using your google voice number instead.

Reactions: stevek28

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude