best buy....

puma1988

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
OK since I bought my optimus v at best buy with the 2 year warranty.
n now my 3g is mess up cause I accidently flash sprint radio.img update.zip

so do you think I still can get a new phone with that warranty?....

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
When you rooted your phone you voided any warranties you had. This is clearly stated on all of the rooting threads I have seen. Any attempt to return your phone because of a mistake you made from having root permissions would be fraud. Learn from your mistake, buy a new phone, and don't do it again. By the way I believe they are sale at Target for $49.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, you probably could. HOWEVER you shouldn't. You and you alone accepted the responsibility that should something go wrong during your modding, it was all your fault.

Since this isn't a factory defect I'd say just own up to your mistake, wait until black Friday and buy a new OV, and be more careful the second time around.

puma1988

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I know insurance n warranty is different but I went once for a crack LCD screen best buy for some reason won't cover for it.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
That's because unless you got the accidental protection plan it's not covered.

The standard warranty protects against manufacture defects and normal "wear and tear" on the device. A cracked LCD screen is not normal wear and tear. But the accidental protection plan would cover things like dropping your phone, spilling liquids on it, etc etc

Of course this is all moot point since the device is rooted, the warranty is void and no longer covers it.

Ronin Wolf

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
That's because unless you got the accidental protection plan it's not covered.

The standard warranty protects against manufacture defects and normal "wear and tear" on the device. A cracked LCD screen is not normal wear and tear. But the accidental protection plan would cover things like dropping your phone, spilling liquids on it, etc etc

Best Buy's "Warranty" is a scam. When I got an iPod touch from there, the salesman said that it covered everything, including accidents. I paid the extra 30 bones because I thought that was a good deal. When my screen got a small crack in it, I took it to them and of course, they wouldn't replace it.

The worst part was I didn't drop it or anything. It just came out of my pocket like that one day, and of course, the small crack spread until the whole screen was one big crack and the iPod was unusable.

And this isn't just one salesman that will lie to you and tell you that either. When I went to buy my V the salesman tried to sell me the warranty. I told him what I related here and he said "That's weird, they should have replaced it."

I don't doubt what you are saying is true, but the salesman are either uninformed or straight lying. Eitehr way, its a scam. Don't bother buying it.

At least on the V you can buy the insurance from Virgin. OP if you get another phone, get the insurance and leave it stock.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't doubt what you are saying is true, but the salesman are either uninformed or straight lying. Eitehr way, its a scam. Don't bother buying it.
This.

They just want to upsell you, nothing more. They make a bundle on insurance. Often times as much or more than the device itself.

If you want insurance, buy it online, at home, after you leave the store. It's cheaper and you can read what all is covered before you buy it.

With electronics, never buy insurance that costs 25% of the device.
Within a year odds are the device will be worth half what it is when you bought it. A year and a half and it's worth less than the insurance usually. So while you break even around the one year mark, if you didn't use it, you saved money and if you do need it, chances are it's either covered anyhow, or it's not much more to just replace it and possibly upgrade.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The most important thing is dont try to replace the phone. You and you alone broke the phone, not best buy, not virgin, not a authorized repair facility. YOU broke the phone.

However if you can live with your conscious and knowing you defrauded a company because you failed to read the directions and follow instructions then go ahead.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I only went with the buy back plan because I probably will get a new phone around Christmas, and then I'm still guaranteed at least $75, which is almost the price of a brand new V (and what I could get if I sold it myself)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12