Farewell Optimus..

Raptor5150

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Its been a good run.. but I just ordered a Triumph with the cyber monday deal they had going on..

just heard ICS was loaded onto it recently.. Just need a new kernal and people should be set to go!

i cant wait! finally a 4.2 inch screen of my own.. ive had nothing but an iphone 2g,3g and this V

:)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
were waiting for isaacs latest build of MIUI for the Triumph.

it has wifi tether working, and some touchscreen bugs fixed. should be close to a "final" release. as in, stable and daily driver, although, the previous build 11.4 is already perfectly good and ive been using it since I bought my MT

Dont stick with the stock rom... you WILL hate it. thats just a fact.

the ICS rom is slow progress but there is a thread on AndroidForums where the dev keeps everyone updated on the progress. its a few weeks away from a beta but the CM7 and MIUI roms are ROCK SOLID right now.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Just did the same thing today... I was never a fan of cm7, but I'd like some decent battery life. I have gotten spoiled with my optimus lasting 2 full days with medium use. I'm scared the new phone is going to have issues with battery or else issues with stuff not working, depending on the rom...

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just did the same thing today... I was never a fan of cm7, but I'd like some decent battery life. I have gotten spoiled with my optimus lasting 2 full days with medium use. I'm scared the new phone is going to have issues with battery or else issues with stuff not working, depending on the rom...

the hog is the 3G background data.

JuiceDefender Lite is great, it turns off background data when the screen is off, and re enables it when its on (as long as you can manually turn off wifi, which is another battery hog. turn it on ONLY when your in a wifi hotspot you use often, like home or work)

without JD, I get 8-10 hours of medium heavy use (pulling it out of my pocket every few minutes to change a song, check email, reply to a text, etc.)

with JD, I get 14-20 hours.

in fact, I didnt charge it last night and I woke up with the phone only 4% lower battery over 9 hours of sleep.

you COULD turn off background data and 3G data everytime you turn the screen off, but thats really tedious and JD makes it so easy to increase battery life. the Rom dev themselves recommend it, thats what got me into using it. I turn off the notification icon and its never a problem.

also, ive found MIUI to be better on battery than CM7, but both are wayyyyy better than stock.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I discovered llama for android, I have even less issues with 3g hogging battery on my optimus. Before that, I used Y5 battery saver for the same purpose. I am at work and home 90% of the time, where I have wifi.

I have never used juice defender, and rarely use ATK.

I just am a bit hesitant to change to the triumph when there are these as options:

CM7:

What's known BROKEN:
Hdmi non-functional
The is an interrupt storm if you enable both Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time. Don't.
Front camera does not mirror snapshots or video, but does on preview.
Occasional force-closes when switching cameras front-to-back.

MIUI:

What partially works:

Camera (FFC output during video calling and snapshots is not mirrored.)
MMS (I can send, but not receive. Always comes back complaining about something.)

What doesn't work:

Ambient light sensors
WIFI hotspot (DON'T ASK, WON'T FIX)
720p video recording (Doesn't work in MIUI camera app. I've heard reports this works with a 3rd-party app)
HDMI out/mirroring (I don't have any way of testing this. Maybe it does work.

Known issues:

These builds, as mentioned, are not being built from source. As such, measures were taken to get everything working. Don't be surprised if you get a FC or eleven. Furthermore, these are development builds (a.k.a not stable). Some of you may be able to live with it, some won't.
Being similar to CM7 (at the core), the proximity sensor goes wonky during phone calls.

Seeing things like "WONT FIX" are not good... but I suppose that someone else could always step in.

I mean, CM7 looks more usable, but I have llama set up with a ton of rules such as enabling bluetooth when plugged into a charger, so that when I hook it up at home or in the car, I can tether and use handsfree. Llama is amazing.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I discovered llama for android, I have even less issues with 3g hogging battery on my optimus. Before that, I used Y5 battery saver for the same purpose. I am at work and home 90% of the time, where I have wifi.

I have never used juice defender, and rarely use ATK.

I just am a bit hesitant to change to the triumph when there are these as options:

CM7:

What's known BROKEN:
Hdmi non-functional
The is an interrupt storm if you enable both Wifi and Bluetooth at the same time. Don't.
Front camera does not mirror snapshots or video, but does on preview.
Occasional force-closes when switching cameras front-to-back.

MIUI:

What partially works:

Camera (FFC output during video calling and snapshots is not mirrored.)
MMS (I can send, but not receive. Always comes back complaining about something.)

What doesn't work:

Ambient light sensors
WIFI hotspot (DON'T ASK, WON'T FIX)
720p video recording (Doesn't work in MIUI camera app. I've heard reports this works with a 3rd-party app)
HDMI out/mirroring (I don't have any way of testing this. Maybe it does work.

Known issues:

These builds, as mentioned, are not being built from source. As such, measures were taken to get everything working. Don't be surprised if you get a FC or eleven. Furthermore, these are development builds (a.k.a not stable). Some of you may be able to live with it, some won't.
Being similar to CM7 (at the core), the proximity sensor goes wonky during phone calls.

Seeing things like "WONT FIX" are not good... but I suppose that someone else could always step in.

I mean, CM7 looks more usable, but I have llama set up with a ton of rules such as enabling bluetooth when plugged into a charger, so that when I hook it up at home or in the car, I can tether and use handsfree. Llama is amazing.

THIS INFO IS REALLY OLD AND OUT OF DATE

where did you find this?!?

those problems were fixed.

go to AndroidForums, to the Triumph section, under "all things root" THAT is where the new roms are posted.

from THERE they trickle out to XDA and other forums.

i know XDAs Triumph roms are definately not as current as AFs Triumph Section

here I made it easy

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/

CM7 rom is current.

isaac is within hours of releasing the newest MIUI build (at the time of this reply, its not up) that miui build has touchscreen fixes and wifi tether, but otherwise is identical to 11.4 which is currently posted. you can run 11.4 and its stable and nice.

dont get worried about "touchscreen bugs" it only applies to gaming with two thumbs, when two touch points get close, they "cling" to the same axis until broken by moving them far enough that it breaks again. it does NOT affect any other app, or pinch to zoom. only games like Modern Combat two or gameboy emulators.

*interesting sidenote, there is a thread titled "the road to ICS on the Triumph" where isaac details some of the hurdles in getting ICS ported to the phone.

He mentions other things hes working on, like how close hes getting to getting HDMI to work on CM7, and helping to get the Triumph officially supported by Cyanogenmod

Last edited:

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Triumph Android Development - xda-developers

I would hardly call xda developers out of date... these are very recent threads, but I'll check out what you have posted. I've relied on that site a lot in the past and there has usually been really good info there.

Are you saying that BT with WIFI on works without issue now? And that the cameras are fine and HDMI works? That's great news if so.

EDIT: After reading, I see no difference in what I posted and what you posted. In fact, the CM7 rom is dated 11/19 on both sites. Seems up to date to me. I remain hopeful the issues can be worked out over time as they were with other roms in the past.

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Triumph Android Development - xda-developers

I would hardly call xda developers out of date... these are very recent threads, but I'll check out what you have posted. I've relied on that site a lot in the past and there has usually been really good info there.

Are you saying that BT with WIFI on works without issue now? And that the cameras are fine and HDMI works? That's great news if so.

the XDA roms are out of date becuase the PEOPLE developing these roms post to AndroidForums FIRST.

lol.

your roms are way out of date man.

dont worry, I was in the same boat too until I searched out the triumph section in every android forum I could find and discovered this.

I would have never seeked out AndroidForums otherwise.

even here in Android Central, the triumph forum is DEAD.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I will concede that the MIUI rom looks to have a little more in the way of development since the xda post, however the cm7 is exactly the same rom posted on the same date. I will check out those android forums more often though since they do seem to show more activity there at first glance.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
lol.

I have xda triumph and AF triumph sections bookmarked.

AF had the CM7 11.19 build up a day earlier than XDA. check the "last edited" date on the first post of both threads as proof.

Android forums gets the roms first, the rest follow.

anyways, its a good practice to have these bookmarked and continually check them all, as I do. I'm not a member of AF yet since the roms are free to download, but might become a member to chime in on the rom discussion over there.

Raptor5150

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
images

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I too am leaving the OV world, but I went with the Slider. I have really been missing a KB and I have an Asus TF for the heavy lifting so I do not need the big screen or gig processor. I jumped because I got the half off and then an extra 20% off - Slider for 80 bucks - nice

pwis321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
just wondering.. has anybody purchased a phone directly from the Virgin Mobile USA website? If so how long does your Order Status stay "Submitted" before it is actually shipped? I am not the one to wait..

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
just wondering.. has anybody purchased a phone directly from the Virgin Mobile USA website? If so how long does your Order Status stay "Submitted" before it is actually shipped? I am not the one to wait..

Mine was ordered on monday 3pm, shipped last night, only got the notification email this morning at 2am. used paypal & SAVE20 code, Fatwallet rebate hasn't come through yet, but they say to wait up to 3 weeks before filing a dispute.