Contacts: Not showing up after sync?

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen on all my phones after I get a new one. When my contacts sync onto the new device, not all of them show up in my contact list. However, they're all still in my phone somewhere, because when I want to type out a new text, I get all the missing names.
I've always wondered why they wouldn't all be in my contact list where they belong....

To make it more clear, in case some don't understand.. For example: I added john Smith into my address book. A month later, I got a new phone and synced all of my contacts to the new device. I went to my contacts list, and his name and number wasn't there... Most of the numbers I had before were, but his and a few others weren't. However, I went to open a new SMS. I started typing john in the "send to" section, and blam, his name and number popped up. But he's still not in my address book... :(

Yeah, that's basically it :p
Seems to be something I've been dealing with Android for quite some time now. Never could find a solution.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same issue, but I can't really remember how I got my contacts to come back...
I either:

1. exported the contacts, then imported them again, then rebooted.
OR
2. I synced them with my Facebook/Twitter and it brought them all back.

Reactions: charkswitlazers

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same issue, but I can't really remember how I got my contacts to come back...
I either:

1. exported the contacts, then imported them again, then rebooted.
OR
2. I synced them with my Facebook/Twitter and it brought them all back.

How did you do option #1?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have Gmail, get it. In the Gmail page you can add or delete your contacts,preview your contacts(make sure all contacts are there before tying to import), there are options for import and export etc.
There's more, just can't remember.
This should help.

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have Gmail, get it. In the Gmail page you can add or delete your contacts,preview your contacts(make sure all contacts are there before tying to import), there are options for import and export etc.
There's more, just can't remember.
This should help.

Gmail is all I use.. Where exactly is the gmail page? Sorry for the dumb questions...
The more detailed instruction the better :)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It's the page you have to be on to check your E-mail. If you look on the left side of the page, just under the muti- colored Gmail. There's mail,contacts,tasks. Click on contacts.

Reactions: JerryScript

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried going into contacts, pressing menu button, selecting display options, and messing around with the verious settings there?

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I went to contacts in gmail, and the missing ones aren't in there... But they're still hidden in my phone somewhere, because they show up in the SMS section... Weird

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Add them into your contacts on the gmail page and then make sure you turn on autosync in the phone settings for about 30sec.

agamy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a setting in my contacts that has a checkbox to display only contacts with phone numbers. I can't see the entries that only have email addresses, but they are accessible via email. Could this be partially your issue? (I'm on Harmonia though not stock so idk if the apk is the same for both)

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There's a setting in my contacts that has a checkbox to display only contacts with phone numbers. I can't see the entries that only have email addresses, but they are accessible via email. Could this be partially your issue? (I'm on Harmonia though not stock so idk if the apk is the same for both)

The settings are set to show all contracts, I'm guessing it may be a google server issue? It can't be the phone since it did this with my triumph too..

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I got them to show, by exprting to sd the importing back in. But now, my phone has the permanant option to store contacts either only in-phone, or synced with gmail.... It used to sync with gmail by default w/out even asking, and I liked it a lot better that way. Is it possible to remove this option? I was messing around and couldn't find anything to get rid of it.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The fact that this problem persists no matter what phone you've had would indicate your problem is with your Google account.
Try setting up a totally new account, this can be done by going to menu/settings/accounts and sync/ select add account/ select creat new account. Then go into your new account add/ import your contacts.
In as much as this is not a regular problem setting up a new account and returning settings on phone back to default should cure your problems.
You might have to go to the market app to finish. If it ask you to sign in give it the info for the new account.
I personally keep auto sync turned off until I need it as it's such a battery drain. When I want to add a contact I turn it on let the contact sync then turn it off.

Last edited:

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The fact that this problem persists no matter what phone you've had would indicate your problem is with your Google account.
Try setting up a totally new account, this can be done by going to menu/settings/accounts and sync/ select add account/ select creat new account. Then go into your new account add/ import your contacts.
In as much as this is not a regular problem setting up a new account and returning settings on phone back to default should cure your problems.
You might have to go to the market app to finish. If it ask you to sign in give it the info for the new account.
I personally keep auto sync turned off until I need it as it's such a battery drain. When I want to add a contact I turn it on let the contact sync then turn it off.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much for your help!