Tip for noticeably better speaker sound.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I read the first post and thought this was total BS.

got out my old OV, started playing some music, covered the earphone jack hole and the sound became clearer, bassier, and better overall.

goes to show engineering a phone is more than packing a cpu and some ram inside. have to design the shell and chassis to be acoustically sound to make the best use of the hardware inside.

very interesting find.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It's because the headphone jack and speaker are so close together. Covering the hole just insures all the sound comes out the speaker holes. (two holes next to the camera)

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow, just tried this... you are right! Now to experiment. What to stick in the headphone hole next... :D

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

rwcordell

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I found out that this worked by accident. I was listening to a podcast and when I picked up the phone I covered the hole with my thumb. I noticed right away how much the tone/loudness improved.

The sound waves from the back of the speaker are coming out of the headphone jack and canceling out the ones from the front.

For now I just put a piece of scotch tape over the hole. There are some headphone jack plugs on eBay for the iPhone that might work if you cut the little wire off of them.

I was very unhappy with the speaker when I bought this phone. It's fine now.

fearfeasog

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i have the otterbox commuter case and it has a flap that covers the headphone jack. i never listened with it uncovered as i put the case on right after i unboxed the phone! i'll have to check this out.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I always knew this.

When I watch netflix, I hold the phone in both hands, with my hands around cupped around the back to focus the sound from the back speaker to me.

The sound is also better with the 3000mAh battery and the "extra space" cover it comes with.

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
When I'm listening to music, I put my phone in a bowl, box, or something to act as a "band-pass" speaker enclosure. Helps the bass become more noticeable and focuses the sound.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk. Suckit.

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I read this and i was like, really?
I just tried it, it does make a difference, it sounds clearer, not as much static and not muffled.

And i saw that 2 ppl said they have an otterbox, and im like, Nahhhh, they're BSing.... so I'm gonna Google it right now(;

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Niceee, otterbox. Now i know what im gonna get next. XD
When i get home I'm gonna clip the 3.5 plug off of any of my billion broken heaphones and leave them in the phone... xD Not. Itll look like it has an antenna. Lol. Maybe if i get mad enough, ill clip the plug off of my SK Skullcrushes xDDD JK.
But, really, good find. I would've never found that.

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Niceee, otterbox. Now i know what im gonna get next. XD
When i get home I'm gonna clip the 3.5 plug off of any of my billion broken heaphones and leave them in the phone... xD Not. Itll look like it has an antenna. Lol. Maybe if i get mad enough, ill clip the plug off of my SK Skullcrushes xDDD JK.
But, really, good find. I would've never found that.

I do believe that the plug in on the optimus v is not a 3.5 it is a 2.5 and Ive noticed it was made to push sound from the jack rather than the speaker.

I did notice that the optimus v does have good speakers. My issue is certain songs, videos and ringtones have different quality making some louder/softer than others.

Never thought about covering the jack but yeah amazingly it works.

My only question now - Is there an app for unrooted phones (In process of rooting and had problems.) to make the speaker on the phone louder. Distortion or not I am looking for amplifier apps for the songs and videos that are not so loud because of quality or size issues.
I am not looking for a mp3, ringtone, video, downloader with louder sound. Audio Player, Youtube, Zedge, and Optimus Pre installed Audio App are working just fine and have no issues.

I just want to make it louder without holding my finger over the hole or putting it in a bowl.

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, some ROMS like the one im using (Backside) have DSP Manager installed. Its an equalizer that lets you tweak the speaker sound and headphone sound.

And, i swore the phone has a standard 3.5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad