arrgghh. need to know if anyone else has this market problem

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
im trying to use my old phone as strictly a wifi device.

its not activated and will never BE activated again.

it was on the stock rom, not set up or signed in for a week on my desk. yesterday i wanted to use it as a second google voice phone, so I picked it up, sign into google over wifi (it worked perfectly, didnt think anything of it) downloaded the apps i needed, rooted, ROM'd

now that im rooted, in stock rom, cm7, any froyo rom. ANYTHING. wifi works everywhere (browser, etc) but not in account setup.

when entering the market, i absolutely cannot sign in to my google account over wifi. the account setup wizard refuses to use wifi and always returns a error about unable to find a reliable data connection. doesnt even give me the option to try the active wifi data connection

anyone have any ideas??

I thought about using titanium backup to restore market app data after signing in from the stock rom, but now its doing it here too!!! i cant sign in. its driving me nuts. spent all night on this.

i dont believe ive ever ran into this issue on any unactivated phone ive ever used before.

ehoser

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Try going into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

Edit: I have never activated my OV. After flashing BACKside it would always go to the activation screen when I rebooted. After turning one airplane mode it stopped doing that.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Try going into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

Edit: I have never activated my OV. After flashing BACKside it would always go to the activation screen when I rebooted. After turning one airplane mode it stopped doing that.

yeah, i did that before i got frustrated enough to make a post about it.

oh well. im restoring the entire phone via emergency mode, becuase thats the only way i can sign in on wifi. then backing up account and market data thru TB

ehoser

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I just flashed a fresh BACKside. Let's see what happens when I boot:

1. "Touch the android to begin" screen w/ Emergency dial and Change Language at bottom of screen.

2. <touch android> Activate your phone screen - select Skip. Select Skip again.

3. Setup Google Account screen. Select Sign In.

4. Enter gmail address and password. "Goes to signing in ... this may take up to five minutes". After maybe a minute (or less) goes to Connect to Wi-Fi screen. Select Connect to Wi-Fi.

5. Select my wifi network, enter passphrase and hit Connect. Connected. Goes to another Google sign-in screen. Account already there, must enter Google password again.

6. sign in to Google and goes to Google Apps screen, then Use Google Location checkbox screen, then Google Backup and Syn screen.

7. Your Google Account is now linked to this phone.

Looks like I'm in on wifi.

ADD: I installed gmail and Google voice. It did ask to link voicemail to the phone but then said it wasn't supported. I gave it my home phone number to use.

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just flashed a fresh BACKside. Let's see what happens when I boot:

1. "Touch the android to begin" screen w/ Emergency dial and Change Language at bottom of screen.

2. <touch android> Activate your phone screen - select Skip. Select Skip again.

3. Setup Google Account screen. Select Sign In.

4. Enter gmail address and password. "Goes to signing in ... this may take up to five minutes". After maybe a minute (or less) goes to Connect to Wi-Fi screen. Select Connect to Wi-Fi.

5. Select my wifi network, enter passphrase and hit Connect. Connected. Goes to another Google sign-in screen. Account already there, must enter Google password again.

6. sign in to Google and goes to Google Apps screen, then Use Google Location checkbox screen, then Google Backup and Syn screen.

7. Your Google Account is now linked to this phone.

Looks like I'm in on wifi.

mine follows that exact pattern, except after the screen where you choose the wifi and go back to entering the password again, it just continues to say it cant find a data connection. over and over and over.

on a related note, i went to a LGNPST restoration of the firmware, signed into account over wifi, backed up account AND market data with titanium backup. installed BACKside. flashed gapps.

tried restoring market data alone, then account data alone, then both.

when i did both, i could see my account in "accounts and sync" settings, but when i start the market, it keeps telling me no data connection, please retry. so i tried clearing market data. no help. side-loading new market APK. no help either.

even when on airplane mode and connected to wifi.

is there a modified market apk that forces wifi use? or is this something in the roms framework telling it to prefer 3G over wifi???

this is driving me mad!

ehoser

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
That's about the limit of what i can do. I'm still pretty new at this Android/phone stuff.

Maybe an expert can help?