woo hoo! (sarcasm) new phone officially announced

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
i am so leaving the OV for this. i wonder how the specs compare to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus or the new Razr series? i'm guessing better.

Reactions: zires

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Everyone should prepare for network congestion at biblical proportions after everyone flocks to vm over this beast. It has a 2mp camera (you heard me right 2mp) lookout for Nikon's and Cannon's stock to plummet after this announcement

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Sweet! Good luck getting one of these babies when they hit stores. I bet people line up to get em, they won't be able to keep up with demand. Any ideas when it does hit stores. Need to get my tent ready!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
IF this gets rooter, I may grab one to try convincing my mom to leave her Blackberry.

But that is only if it gets root and I can find one on sale for cheap and only so I can get her on Android and 3g (for tether).

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
IF this gets rooter, I may grab one to try convincing my mom to leave her Blackberry.

But that is only if it gets root and I can find one on sale for cheap and only so I can get her on Android and 3g (for tether).

My mom isn't smart enough for a smartphone, if I got her a phone more advanced than a jitterbug I would be getting more troubleshooting calls than the Philippines virgin call center

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I was once against a smart phone just like my mom simply because I didn't want to be carrying an expensive phone, and frankly I didn't need it.

I only got the Blackberry so I could tether when I was at customers houses with dial up (WTF! how can you have a home business on dial up!). Meanwhile, my moms dumb phone without camera started becoming an issue, so despite her reservations I got her one with a camera. It was the best flip Virgin had at the time. She found she liked the camera, but still didn't want a smart phone. I started looking at the Intercept for faster speeds and I was told Android had better apps (it didn't at the time and other than games, still doesn't), but kept putting it off, the BB was working well, then the Optimus came out and I jumped on it.

Not long after I got the Android my mom asked me one night if the Blackberry could get her internet access at work (tether), and I said yes, so she immediately jumped on it. Surprised the heck out of me! Even after she got the Blackberry, she hated the idea of a smartphone, she just wanted a dumbphone with tethering. Then her co-workers saw she had a Blackberry and started texting her. By the end of the first week she was texting more in a day than she had in the last 4 years of owning a cell phone.

She loves the Blackberry, she uses it for music streaming, pictures, tethering and texting way too much. I don't think it has dawned on her just how much of a smartphone she actually uses or how much she would miss it. She still is opposed to a touchscreeen, but I'm working on her. LOL.

You have to go in baby steps sometimes. Throwing her onto an Android from her no-camera dumbphone would have been a disaster, it's too large of a step. The Blackberry is pretty simple to adjust to, and from there, it's still a big step to touchscreen Android, but not too bad. At least you know more of what to expect. I won't go back to a dumbphone at this point, and neither will she, not that I would let her even if she wanted too.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I hope you all are being sarcastic...

(lol *looks at title*

^^ this phone us 100x better than the OV!

But seriously, this is a sucky phone compared to the "supposed" new touch screen phones they have. However, the keyboard is OK, but if I needed that I would of got the Optimus Black.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I seriously hope (and I'm sure they are) that Cnet is wrong when it says the SD slot only supports up to 2gigs.
That would mean it is SD, not SDHC, and would really cripple this phone.

Edit:
I just checked, Cnet is wrong, it supports 32gig.

Reactions: itsrayray

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I was once against a smart phone just like my mom simply because I didn't want to be carrying an expensive phone, and frankly I didn't need it.

I only got the Blackberry so I could tether when I was at customers houses with dial up (WTF! how can you have a home business on dial up!). Meanwhile, my moms dumb phone without camera started becoming an issue, so despite her reservations I got her one with a camera. It was the best flip Virgin had at the time. She found she liked the camera, but still didn't want a smart phone. I started looking at the Intercept for faster speeds and I was told Android had better apps (it didn't at the time and other than games, still doesn't), but kept putting it off, the BB was working well, then the Optimus came out and I jumped on it.

Not long after I got the Android my mom asked me one night if the Blackberry could get her internet access at work (tether), and I said yes, so she immediately jumped on it. Surprised the heck out of me! Even after she got the Blackberry, she hated the idea of a smartphone, she just wanted a dumbphone with tethering. Then her co-workers saw she had a Blackberry and started texting her. By the end of the first week she was texting more in a day than she had in the last 4 years of owning a cell phone.

She loves the Blackberry, she uses it for music streaming, pictures, tethering and texting way too much. I don't think it has dawned on her just how much of a smartphone she actually uses or how much she would miss it. She still is opposed to a touchscreeen, but I'm working on her. LOL.

You have to go in baby steps sometimes. Throwing her onto an Android from her no-camera dumbphone would have been a disaster, it's too large of a step. The Blackberry is pretty simple to adjust to, and from there, it's still a big step to touchscreen Android, but not too bad. At least you know more of what to expect. I won't go back to a dumbphone at this point, and neither will she, not that I would let her even if she wanted too.

Speaking of baby steps, my two year old nephew has been playing around with my mother's Galaxy Prevail and knows how to use it much better than she does :p

But seriously, I don't think I'd ever see myself using this phone, not even if both my Optimus V and Optimus Slider were too damaged to use. I would just save up for another Optimus V.

Sent from my LG-VM701 running Mobster Rom via Tapatalk