Security update?

youhsf12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Me too, about a minute ago.

"3rd party application's ability to access code that could be used to exploit data on the handset."

How much you wanna bet it's a root patch? Either way I'm willing to say that this lame update is probably lightyears behind any security features in CMx both on the basis of newer android versions, and the work of the devs. I don't even know what would happen if you tried to install this on a custom ROM.

Last edited:

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
If there s security flaw in 2.2 on the Optimus V flash 2.3 or even 4.0. Not this bs update. It will most likely patch one small issue and then break root

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a radio update, that much I can confirm, which if I remember right, brings the radio software up to match the Optimus S.

It might also have a PRL update, as well as the 2.2.2 update for older phones.
Regardless, you can almost bet that this will destroy root, and tether. It could also destroy your phone if you are rooted.

This is NOT a small patch, this is a full rom, plus radio update.

Give me a few to pull it apart and then I can say more.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly as I thought.

It is a radio update, not sure if it matches the Optimus S or not though.
I can pull the radio img and make a flasher if anyone wants that, but it may need a different radio driver. Which could break compatibility with all current roms.

It is a full rom, 2.2.2, while not GB, it shows VM may intend to keep this phone around a bit longer. So we may see GB yet. The radio may contain a PRL update but I have no way to check without flashing it.

This WILL remove root.
It may not destroy your phone, and it won't destroy your data, it WILL remove Superuser and the ability to tether. Superuser is easy to replace with a flash, if it doesn't remove the custom recovery, but I can't be certain that it won't destroy that.

Edit:
Yes this destroys recovery as well.
So all root will be lost.

It can simply be repackaged to not lose root, but other than the radio, there is really nothing here for rooted users.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So I never got a text from VM about a update. Is this because I am using IHO backside rom? And will it matter if I have this update or not?

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I can see from a post on Android Forums, it also patches the gingerbreak root exploit. Someone installed the update and now cannot root his phone using it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you want the radio update, wait for one of us devs to pull the package apart and make it a flashable that won't ruin root or anything else. It's a simple task, I'm just am not in the mood at the moment to do it right this minute.

We can pull this apart and get everything, and make it flashable without ruining root, that's not an issue. In fact it's extremely easy, so please...

Don't use this until one of us devs makes a flasher for rooted users!!
It won't be long, but really we don't need it.

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Aren't these roms already malaware'd patched?

Also, the V now has a radio?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Yes, by nature of being the latest versions of Android our roms(well, except maybe the Froyo ones) already have Google's security patches. Malware is just a scare tactic VM is using to try to prevent us from rooting.

And the radio is the cell radio, not the FM radio (which has been disabled at the hardware level on the OV for reasons I haven't been able to figure out).

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The FM radio is missing parts for cost reasons.

The radio update has been around a while, there was just no way to use it. They aren't doing it to ruin root, they are bringing older OV's up to current when compared to newer ones.

One nice thing this will do though, those wanting it, can now do a wipe/reset in recovery, then flash this and it will return their phone to factory stock.

Please people, stop with the conspiracies.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

The radio update has been around a while, there was just no way to use it. They aren't doing it to ruin root, they are bringing older OV's up to current when compared to newer ones.

One nice thing this will do though, those wanting it, can now do a wipe/reset in recovery, then flash this and it will return their phone to factory stock.

So is rooting impossible if you flash this update? How will you test roms on your ov leslieann since you flashed the update?!?! :'(

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

This would be awesome to have for people when they sell/gift their OV away. Are they providing a link for the update file or is it OTA only at this point?

Nevermind I figured it out. I don't plan on installing it but if I ever get rid of my phone I'll definitely put it on.

Last edited:

VariantVT

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
So if I'm not rooted (yet) should I go ahead and install this and wait for the devs to adapt their ROMs? My phone is 2.2.2 and SW version VM670ZV5 so I expect they will try to push this to me at some point. Thoughts??

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So if I'm not rooted (yet) should I go ahead and install this and wait for the devs to adapt their ROMs? My phone is 2.2.2 and SW version VM670ZV5 so I expect they will try to push this to me at some point. Thoughts??

The update might make it harder to root. So I'd root now.