Tether to Xbox live possible?

docliquid

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to successfully tether their android to Xbox live via Pdanet, Barnacle, wifi tether for root, or any others? If so ...which one and how. Found several threads and even videos with a Google search...but nothing really solid ...decided to ask our wonderful V community ;)

Sent from Santa's Sleigh using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Encerspay45

docliquid

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
In case someone knows how, but hasn't actually done it, this is done (in theory) by tethering android to your computer and then either sharing or bridging that connection with your Xbox via Ethernet hookup to your comp.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It can be done, haven't personally but I know it can be done. Even XBL makes mention of not using this technique on the xbox website.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Gonna be a PITA when the throttle kicks in right in the middle of your game. But have fun trying. Burn your 2.5 gigs up quick, and the rest of us won't have to worry about you the rest of the month.

docliquid

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
No intention of gaming with it, don't think that would be very fun...for anybody. Want it to run video apps like Hulu and Netflix thru my Xbox that's hooked up to an older model tv

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried streaming Netflix before, out of curiosity. Mind you, this was with a netbook, not an Xbox, but there was way too much buffering. Probably not watchable for most people.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I played my PS3 online through wifi tether. Actually worked decently, I get decent speeds at my place. But the 200+ ms response times made it pretty laggy, made me harder to shoot though. Worked fine for netflix, low quality.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I tethered to my comp and bridged the connection to my 360, only game i was able to play was modern warfare 2. Didn't lag even on minimal signal. Only time i saw lag was when i got a text. It would be lag lag vvvv vvvv vvvv(phone vibrating lol)

Over a 8hr session used 40mb.

Sent from your mom's phone.

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

SsjAndydroid

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
You really don't use as much data as everyone claims Xbox live does. It obviously varies between game to game but about 20 KiB/s upload and download to play Call of Duty and Halo smoothly. That size of bandwidth needed is below the data cap limit. If you do the math you'll find that you use quite a bit less data tethered to Xbox Live than if you spent the same time watching YouTube on your phone.

SuppliedRelic

Android Fanboy
Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish you people would quit hogging bandwidth on the already congested Sprint network by tethering to gaming consoles.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_MLS v2.2.04-EXT using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish you people would quit hogging bandwidth on the already congested Sprint network by tethering to gaming consoles.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_MLS v2.2.04-EXT using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

If you're only talking about tethering for console gaming, 20kB/sec is less than Pandora, so there's really nothing to complain about.

niftypixel

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
My friend does this (on the Newer Xbox w/ Wifi built in) to update his achievements and nothing more. However, it should be noted that xbox is a bw hog (as far as I'm aware they try to cache all ads/vids that are displayed on dash to emphasize this 'flow' effect). So be careful with the new bw limits.

But in theory, yes, absolutely it's possible, using the same principal as sharing via bridged or ICS methods, using the android as the hotspot, etc.

Pleasant Pain

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
in theory, yes, absolutely it's possible, using the same principal as sharing via bridged or ICS methods, using the android as the hotspot, etc.

In theory, anything is possible... in reality everything conceivable happens all the time. That said, I have successfully tethered my mobile device to my Xbox numerous times, using various connections depending on the desired results and I'd like to mention the results here. Not every method will operate in the same manner.

For example, bridging the network either tethered or wireless is the simplest way to connect your Xbox to Xbox live via mobile device. However, using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) also allows the host computer to access internet while the Xbox is also connected. You can also fool the NAT compliance with the server by manually opening ports. Meaning, a user can play without restriction on Xbox live, with all the undesirable gaming impact forced upon other players on the same server. However, this is much more difficult to achieve, and is not as stable a connection as bridging. This connection is also very prone to hacker attacks, especially if you do not know how, or which ports should be opened for configuration.

I should also mention, that even before attempting... I recommend the user obtain UNLIMITED mobile internet access. Only a small handful of carriers even offer it, and usually their requirement is paid contract mobile service for 5+ years. But otherwise, a user will incur overages on their mobile plan... I use easily 20GB in less than a week connecting my Xbox to my mobile device, it is a bandwidth hog.

The steps for ICS and bridging are very different, and even different depending on OS. If you're attempting ICS be prepared for hours of troubleshooting, even then your mobile carrier may begin to restrict your subnet mask, your allowable max IP count, and even begin issuing a temporary IP that renews every hour to kick off devices. After two days of use, I experienced all these attempts to minimize bandwidth consumption, requiring me to adapt as various technological obstacles were electronically dropped on me. Unless you have a degree in communications technology, do not attempt an ICS... you will be fighting your own OS, as it seems Microsoft did not develop nor refine any user features for this function, in addition to your mobile carrier once your usage is audited.

To bridge your network, connect your PC to your mobile device and establish internet connection via tether or wireless. I achieved this using the stock tethering app, not PdaNet, or any other internet connection app. Then connect your Ethernet cable to your PC and Xbox, wait one moment for this to resolve IP address', it should come across as an unidentified network on your Ethernet adapter. Verify the devices are connected, view devices on computer, verify that file sharing is enabled but the internet connection for your mobile device is NOT shared. Or, run command prompt and type, 'ipconfig/all' and confirm the media connections enabled have IP address' assigned. (Note: a IP of 169.254.xxx.xxx to the Xbox is OKAY! If you have an IP of 198.162.x.x then you may actually be already to go through ICS! DO NOT continue to bridge connections if a 198.162.x.x is automatically assigned to the Ethernet connection. But, popular internet myth is a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP means no connection, THIS IS NOT TRUE! It means, no connection to internet only to local, but that's okay... we haven't bridged connections yet!)

Open Network and Sharing options, select both active networks, the internet connected network and the local one to the Xbox, right-click, and select 'bridge networks'. Give it about 2-5 minutes to bridge the connection. And attempt to log-in to Xbox live. The first attempt will not succeed (none of mine have), but after troubleshooting wired connections through Xbox it should resolve the network connection on the first attempt. It seems, this is a way of connecting without restarting the Xbox... I believe the network adapter for the Xbox resets before each attempt during troubleshooting which will resolve the connection.

Hope this information helps, and answers any questions you might have. It's very possible to achieve, in a variety of different ways, both tethered and wireless, with or without a router. Some connections are easier than others, but the end result SHOULD always be the same... with your carrier or your wallet screaming for wireless mercy.

Have fun folks!

Reactions: Encerspay45

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I was able to bridge my wifi from my laptop to my Xbox no problem. Worked just fine. Here's my question, since my Xbox is the old school Xbox. So I was thinking there has to be a way to USB tether directly to the Xbox...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

YoshinJaa

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to bridge my wifi from my laptop to my Xbox no problem. Worked just fine. Here's my question, since my Xbox is the old school Xbox. So I was thinking there has to be a way to USB tether directly to the Xbox...

Or find the old xbox wireless adapter

Sent from my Optimus V via Tapatalk

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Or find the old xbox wireless adapter

Sent from my Optimus V via Tapatalk

Yes I am aware of that however I really don't want to spend $55 on that piece of hardware knowing that in the near future the Xbox will red ring in some way. Its my third Xbox 360.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000