Jumping ship tomorrow ...

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So I love my sturdy little OV, the OV community :), and generally have had no complaints with VM's network. BUT, I've been itching to just try something different. I wanted a phone with a slightly larger screen, but NOT a four inch one that feels like a big $600 brick. I also wanted a chance to test drive some other wireless prepaid carriers (hey it's no contract, so I can always just switch back right?) So I looked around and did a little searching and eventually decided on... the Nexus One. It has a 3.7" screen (wanted 3.5 but oh well), it works on T-Mobile bands (AT&T too but f*** them, never going to the Evil Empire), and it's called a "developer" phone so I guess it's very customizeable friendly.

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to pick one up. They regularly sell in the sub-$150 range so that is cool. My plan? To try out T-Mobile's 5GB/mo prepaid plan. I am going to do a one month experiment of a more data-heavy, VOIP plan and see how it works. I have no idea how VOIP is because I've never used it before. But I'm open to some compromise if it means more freedom...

So I wanted to know what you guys think. Is this a good idea or not? What tips should I use to make this work? I've never been on T-Mobile before, but like I said, this is just really a chance to dip my toe in the water. I'm going to be hanging onto my OV, Virgin has been generally great and I have no beef with them.

Thanks y'all :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
if you are hoping to use grooveip, gvoice, or any of the many other voip solutions out there over 3g - I have not had much luck there. Let us know how it goes.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
if you are hoping to use grooveip, gvoice, or any of the many other voip solutions out there over 3g - I have not had much luck there. Let us know how it goes.

That is my plan, initially at least. U think that it won't work? I may be stupid for believing in voip since I've never used it before, but it seems bandwidth would not be a problem right? My worry is with how compatible it is, ie who and what it works with.

But it's all good, in any case I can always go with StraightTalk $45 a month as a contingency.

tapatalkn on yo b****a**

SuppliedRelic

Android Fanboy
Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you are currently grandfathered on one of the old plan rates and you switch you will have to pay ten dollars extra if you come back to Virgin Mobile.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_MLS v2.2.2-EXT using Tapatalk 2

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
In terms of performance, the Nexus One got one of the 1st gen 1Ghz cpus and same CPU.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
In terms of performance, the Nexus One got one of the 1st gen 1Ghz cpus and same CPU.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Meh. I don't need a super speedy phone. Just one that isn't awfully slow! If it performs the same as the OV, I'm cool with that.

tapatalkn on yo b****a**

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Meh. I don't need a super speedy phone. Just one that isn't awfully slow! If it performs the same as the OV, I'm cool with that.
The N1 is about two and ahalf years old. If you are wanting to move to tmobile for the 30 dollar plan I suggest saving the money and buying a phone that will acutally use the 4g service. That phone WONT and you will not default to 3g. The prepaid plans default to "2g" when you arent on 4g service. 3G isnt even picked up.

Reactions: droidmyme

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The N1 is about two and ahalf years old. If you are wanting to move to tmobile for the 30 dollar plan I suggest saving the money and buying a phone that will acutally use the 4g service. That phone WONT and you will not default to 3g. The prepaid plans default to "2g" when you arent on 4g service. 3G isnt even picked up.

Well, thanks for the headsup but my understanding was (I thought) that the N1 actually does get 3G reception on T-Mobile.

Now whether the prepaid data plan supports 3G speed, that Idk. I just assumed it was like VM. So no offense, but I hope you are wrong lol. Otherwise that would suck for my T-Mobile hopes... :(

tapatalkn on yo a** foo.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, thanks for the headsup but my understanding was (I thought) that the N1 actually does get 3G reception on T-Mobile.

Now whether the prepaid data plan supports 3G speed, that Idk. I just assumed it was like VM. So no offense, but I hope you are wrong lol. Otherwise that would suck for my T-Mobile hopes... :(
I have a SGS4G on T-Mobile mate the only thing you will get on that phone is the 2G service. When I dont get 4G it defaults to edge which is 2g service.

Seriously save the money your going to spend on the N1. And for the love of god dont buy a SGS4G the dev community is horrible. That phone has been out for a year and they cant seem to get CM7 working. All the roms are based off one of the devs from AoKP whitehawkx's work on when he had the phone.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a SGS4G on T-Mobile mate the only thing you will get on that phone is the 2G service. When I dont get 4G it defaults to edge which is 2g service.

Seriously save the money your going to spend on the N1. And for the love of god dont buy a SGS4G the dev community is horrible. That phone has been out for a year and they cant seem to get CM7 working. All the roms are based off one of the devs from AoKP whitehawkx's work on when he had the phone.

Aite thx bro but I already bought the N1. F*** it though, if I can get VOIP working on 2G, that's all I care about.

People say VOIP doesn't work even on 3G. It doesn't make sense. In terms of network bandwidth, I get streaming radio over 2G with no interruptions or pausing, so why not voice?

tapatalkn on yo a** foo.

Raul720

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Aite thx bro but I already bought the N1. F*** it though, if I can get VOIP working on 2G, that's all I care about.

People say VOIP doesn't work even on 3G. It doesn't make sense. In terms of network bandwidth, I get streaming radio over 2G with no interruptions or pausing, so why not voice?

tapatalkn on yo a** foo.

Probably too much ping.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The Op is talking about tmobile prepaid. Nothing confusing about that.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

Ok I c what ur saying now the Tmobile phone must be 4G specific or it reverts to 2G (yuck). So basikly the way was they built up 4G off their 3G and scrapped 3G altogether they dont even have 3G is that right.

I dont mind 4G in fact thats a good suggestion. The prob is I dont see a 4G.Android phone 4 Tmobile that has the dimensions of the N1. Lik I said the SGII is a beast of a phone, its just too big. The nexus s.doesnt have lots of dev lik u said.

I need a vanilla android phone with a 3.7 inch screen lol like the N1. I really like this phone so I may just go on tmobiles $50/mo.

The other phone I researched was the SGIIW (Wonder). I dont know if its stateside or dev suppoted but its not 2 big.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
myTouch Q - Gray | Prepaid Phone Details | T-Mobile

Prepaid Sidekick 4G in Matte Black | No Annual Contract | T-Mobile

Both of those have a smaller screen. The thing about the prepaid service is You either get 4g or 2g. LeslieAnn explained a while back its cheaper to use the 4g then 3g.

Like I said save the money up and get a better phone. Also any 4g t-mobile phone will work not just what they have listed. Check ebay, craigslist, and swappa for phones. You can find cheaper phones just have to look and take a chance on a pre-owned.

Reactions: droidmyme

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
myTouch Q - Gray | Prepaid Phone Details | T-Mobile

Prepaid Sidekick 4G in Matte Black | No Annual Contract | T-Mobile

Both of those have a smaller screen. The thing about the prepaid service is You either get 4g or 2g. LeslieAnn explained a while back its cheaper to use the 4g then 3g.

Like I said save the money up and get a better phone. Also any 4g t-mobile phone will work not just what they have listed. Check ebay, craigslist, and swappa for phones. You can find cheaper phones just have to look and take a chance on a pre-owned.

That's great, thk u Eollie.

I agree, I will look at pre-owned buying new is too pricy for me. I also found this:http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/Samsung-Galaxy-Exhibit-4G-Prepaid. It's the same fam as the SGII except a single core and 3.7" display. Also no physical keypad which I prefer.

I checked XDA on this phone, definitely not a whole lot of attention, but has a generic CyanogenMod7 at least

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I dont rly like Tmobiles prepaid plans much. For $50 all u get is 100MB at 4G? Thats nothing!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz