starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be permanent

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got this text from virgin mobile:

"8682: VMFreeMsg Starting 5/27/12, new smartphones will be subject to current plan rates. This will apply if you switch phones. Go to http://msg4u.us/src for info"

:mad:

So I guess we have a month or two to decide what phone we want permanently if we want our old rates...this sucks! I knew they'd figure out a way to screw us out of them! Just intime for 4g...bastards.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

$35 is still very reasonable. Mildly irritating though as I doubt I'd have the cash to upgrade anytime soon. Referenced new phones launching in May though, hopefully they aren't more 3.2" pieces of .

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Just got the same message:

VMFreeMsg Starting 5/27/12, new smartphones will be subject to current plan rates. This will apply if you switch phones. Go to http://msg4u.us/src for info

SIGH... Well looks like it could be the beginning of the end coming up...

I'm not sure if I will be sticking with Virgin Mobile when my next phone comes around. May go ahead and pool in with my parents' in order to get an iPhone. Not sure what else to do, since I can't really afford to pay that much more than I already am and I am not convinced more price increases aren't on the way.

We don't even know for sure what phones are coming or at what price they'll be for.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

So in otherwords, if the "4g phones" come out, that only applies to the newest phones, or if you switch phones period? it sucks that they are doing this to "grandfathered" users, as if they didn't have enough money...

Just got the same message:

SIGH... Well looks like it could be the beginning of the end coming up...

I'm not sure if I will be sticking with Virgin Mobile when my next phone comes around. May go ahead and pool in with my parents' in order to get an iPhone. Not sure what else to do, since I can't really afford to pay that much more than I already am and I am not convinced more price increases aren't on the way.

We don't even know for sure what phones are coming or at what price they'll be for.

This may very much be true, depending on what phones are coming out.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

So I guess the real question is...

If we want to keep our old plans, what are our options for new phones that will be out BEFORE the deadline? As much as I don't wanna leave the optimus V this may force me to pick something else...

steven1droid

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if the 4g data would be available on the 25 dollar plan. They would possibly just switch 4g on all plans since you would have to buy a new phone to access the data anyhow.

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Wishful thinking, VM might release something before May 1st.
After I get tired of our tiny OV, I'm most likaly leaving VM.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Wishful thinking, VM might release something before May 1st.
After I get tired of our tiny OV, I'm most likaly leaving VM.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I think I'm in the same boat. The $25/month is nice enough to make the terrible network speeds worth dealing with...but I don't think I'm willing to invest $200+ for a new 4g phone AND have my plan taken away...all for a network that's probably not going to be much better?

No thanks.

Edit: That doesn't mean I won't keep my V for a while though...at least until something really catches my eye :p

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
$35 isnt reasonable for 300 minutes talk time. that is a complete rip off. they should just call it what it is. $35 for internet service. because thats all you really get. im looking at a few straight talk phones. id rather pay $45 a month and get all my calls unlimited along with net service than keep getting took by sprint.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I think I'm in the same boat. The $25/month is nice enough to make the terrible network speeds worth dealing with...but I don't think I'm willing to invest $200+ for a new 4g phone AND have my plan taken away...all for a network that's probably not going to be much better?

No thanks.

Edit: That doesn't mean I won't keep my V for a while though...at least until something really catches my eye :p

I agree, however I'll look at the phones and "maybe" get a cheap one to test, otherwise I'll just go to TMobile, they are good, right Lesile? xD

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree, however I'll look at the phones and "maybe" get a cheap one to test, otherwise I'll just go to TMobile, they are good, right Lesile? xD

That's what I'm thinking as well...tmobile is what I came from before virgin, and their network speeds spoiled me like a 5 year old in a data store, er candy store :p SO FAST it was basically like having wifi wherever I went. Never had to deal with a single "buffering" screen...

They still do that $30/plan right? Or was that just a limited time thing.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

35$ you get:

"unlimited 4g data" (up to 5 GB, then throttle to 2g [not even 3g here]), texts, and some minutes.

On semi better phones than here. (but I'll always love my OV ^^)

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I will now be leaving virgin as soon as I want to upgrade. D-BAGS

Luckily I don't think I will upgrade really soon
Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
35$ you get:

"unlimited 4g data" (up to 5 GB, then throttle to 2g [not even 3g here]), texts, and some minutes.

On semi better phones than here. (but I'll always love my OV ^^)

Is this really what they are gonna do? But then again, who is gonna use 5 GB of data.

I really want an htc one if they come to virgin mobile. Sense 4 looks pretty tasty.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Is this really what they are gonna do? But then again, who is gonna use 5 GB of data.

I really want an htc one if they come to virgin mobile. Sense 4 looks pretty tasty.

Well,

A. this is for Tmobile
B. I guess goofy people use 5 gb of 4g data a month, and doesn't it get wasted faster than 3g?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Well,

A. this is for Tmobile
B. I guess goofy people use 5 gb of 4g data a month, and doesn't it get wasted faster than 3g?

Ohh, I get yah... I was thinking you were probably talking about Tmo, but it was confusing how the past few posts by people have been. I don't know if I would waste 5 gigs though...

badrsj

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dear former fellow virgin mobilers
It has been a few months I've moved to Straight Talk. ATT Sim program BYOD.

I'm using a 4G device, paying 50 dollars after taxes. The web speed is awe some. Not many problems unless people are using more than 100 MB per day or an estimated 2 GB per month. Streaming is frowned upon, but there is wide device choice, and true 4G LTE speeds for most common users (read not data hogs).

If Virgin is making pay more for restricted devices, data limits, and also upping price for phone changes maybe this should be re considered after all you are paying customers.

I do not have any financial interest in this statement, I moved because of sorry devices and sorrier speeds, so what if you have 2.5 GB, who's gonna get there.

Thanks for reading this far.
Feel free to ask if any questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Ohh, I get yah... I was thinking you were probably talking about Tmo, but it was confusing how the past few posts by people have been. I don't know if I would waste 5 gigs though...

Idk, I have wifi all over the place. I mainly use the mobile data for navigation. But yea, I get ya. VM needs to rethink this, but I kinda get their reason for it. I just don't like the fact that they are making us (if we but new phones) pay more (even though they can).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol