starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be permanent

frostyon420

Banned
Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
How can u be so sure of that. As far as I can tell the term "grandfathered In" will be meaningless

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Fack it! If the newer 4g phones are anygood I may just buy one....although vm only puts out outdated phones hell I would settle for slings evo or maybe the photon lol

Sean OGorman

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

I can't imagine a petition would do much good. What does Sprint have to worry about if you move? Freeing up bandwidth? Losing customers that they were likely making little, if any, money on in the first place?

frostyon420

Banned
Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine a petition would do much good. What does Sprint have to worry about if you move? Freeing up bandwidth? Losing customers that they were likely making little, if any, money on in the first place?

Yea yea ik ik just a little irritated having found this thread to begin with good to know but damn....all good things must come to an end....I knew deep Down that I would eventually be pushed into the 35 dollar plan

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

How can u be so sure of that. As far as I can tell the term "grandfathered In" will be meaningless

New smartphones are any phones launching in May 2012 and thereafter.

To best complete a phone swap, we recommend waiting until your plan month is finished. This will avoid you having to pay for one month of service twice.

The Beyond Talk Plan rates that would apply are as follows:

$35/mo
Web, Data, Messaging, & Email: Unlimited
Anytime Minutes: 300 min.

$45/mo
Anytime Minutes: 1200 min.

$55/mo
Anytime Minutes: Unlimited

All plans include 2.5GB per month of full-speed data. Customers will continue to have data access but maximum speeds may be limited to 256Kbps or below for the remainder of the monthly plan cycle. During this time, customers may experience slower page loads, file downloads, and degraded streaming media. Throughput speeds will be restored when your new monthly plan begins.
2.5GB gets you 400,000 mobile Internet page views, or 91 hours of streaming music, or 20 hours of video clips, or 36,000 emails without attachments. Data usage per activity is based on average. Bandwidth varies by website, video, email and other Internet application.

Since you didnt click through read the first line.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So basically, what this means is that if you want to keep the grandfathered $25/mo plan, you are stuck with either the Optimus V or Triumph?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Losing customers that they were likely making little, if any, money on in the first place?

A steady income that could be relied upon month after month, that's what they could be losing.

I don't know where the value sweet spot is for Sprint, where they have enough people paying in without actually using but a fraction of the service. It's certainly possible they need to lose a couple thousand current customers to hit that point, but I do know that there is a very limited threshold after which service stops being affordable again.

So far, so good. I actually am paying less per month now than I was when I started using Virgin Mobile so I can probably afford to go to $35 if I have to... Except, really after adjusting for taxes and fees that comes out more like $40, just like the current amount comes out closer to $30...

But the difference here is I paid way more for the Optimus V than I did the Marbl. I paid more and got more. A lot more, because the new plan was cheap enough to get me to start texting, something that I had turned off with my Marbl. What can Virgin Mobile possibly offer in their new phones and likely capped* 4G that represents as much of a leap forward as that? How useful can it be if I could go through the entire cap in a matter of days? Virgin Mobile needs to have their value proposition met, but so do we!

So, yeah it might be that Virgin Mobile would be happy to see some of us go--but they don't get to be the ones to decide who will be the ones to leave.

They hope that the ones who leave are the bandwidth hogs and the deadbeats who are always late or inconsistent paying for their services, but they could end up with people who pay their bill, generally never use up all their minutes and get most of their data off WiFi leaving.

*unlimited 4G until you actually start using it? If they handle their 4G network like they have their 3G, it really isn't going to be worth much.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
See I live in a pretty good signal town in southern IL but going any further south I usually dont get any signal at all which kinda pisses me off but oh well

But its better than AT&T which still doesn't connect to 3G in my area in a almost 40 mile radius and is still running on EDGE which in my experience is slower than dialup and renders the smartphones on AT&T useless

Streator, IL here. Is that near where you are? Because that sounds a lot like what we have here in town and one of the reasons I went with Virgin Mobile in the first place.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So basically, what this means is that if you want to keep the grandfathered $25/mo plan, you are stuck with the current line-up?

fify

Yes. I dont agree with it but I kinda understand it. I think they need to update their prices to reflect the competitors more. Because in the next year I think we will see VM looking more like off-contract version of Sprint.

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

fify

Yes. I dont agree with it but I kinda understand it. I think they need to update their prices to reflect the competitors more. Because in the next year I think we will see VM looking more like off-contract version of Sprint.

isdnt that what Boost is thou?

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe VM's 3g will be less congested once some people start upgrading to sprint's WiMax.

ps. For those who still have to pay taxes on top of the current rate, you should buy refill cards online, no taxes and 1-3% discount.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe VM's 3g will be less congested once some people start upgrading to sprint's WiMax.

ps. For those who still have to pay taxes on top of the current rate, you should buy refill cards online, no taxes and 1-3% discount.

Question: once Sprint upgrades to WiMax or whatever, won't VM lose 3G?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

No 3g will still be here. The only way to lose 3g is do away with it. Until they have the towers all upgraded 3g should still work. 3G is still available on most carriers because of the lack of 4g coverage everywhere.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to get this message from VM. But I mean $35 isn't that bad. But I want a phone with a big screen.

Other then that my only other complaint is VM's data is a bit slow. Wish it was a bit faster but meh.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Possibly losing my service to save $1.50 or whatever, isn't worth it.
Granted, I use my phone for business, but still, it's not worth the time, hassle and risk.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Maybe now the Triumph will get some more development xD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki