starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be permanent

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Possibly losing my service to save $1.50 or whatever, isn't worth it.
Granted, I use my phone for business, but still, it's not worth the time, hassle and risk.

I don't know how you might lose service, but I think its infinitely easier just to have my debit information in the site so it automatically pays at each month. I like not having to worry about forgetting.

chucksaysblah

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

I was gonna wait and see what new phones come out before deciding what new phone i want . But now it is clear that unl;ess i wanna spend more money I have only the triumph to choose from. I will say that my frioend at work has one and I put cm7 on his and all of the issues were cleared up completely. It is a ghreat phone now he says.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I don't know how you might lose service, but I think its infinitely easier just to have my debit information in the site so it automatically pays at each month. I like not having to worry about forgetting.

If you don't pay your service shuts off.

I too keep a card on file, I'd rather not have to mess with it.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you have a 30-day grace period, or 60 days. I don't remember.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I think she's just referring to the annoyance of forgetting to pay and not having service for a day. I would find it aggravating even though I don't lose my grandfathered plan.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I think she's just referring to the annoyance of forgetting to pay and not having service for a day. I would find it aggravating even though I don't lose my grandfathered plan.

Exactly.

I can't be without a phone for a day, much less a month. I''m self employed and all my work comes in through my phone.

youarepoop

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

Hope a Best Buy coupon comes in the mail in next couple weeks...

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

I can't be without a phone for a day, much less a month. I''m self employed and all my work comes in through my phone.

You could just buy the refill for several months, and let it just be there in your account. Besides, you get notifications before due day, and you can buy refill cards online within minutes.I just wanted to point out that you don't have to pay the extra taxes.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, that's what I do. Lots easier and I've never missed a payment by doing it this way. Why take a chance with a great grandfather'd in account? Or at least that was my thinking.... Not sure how smart I was being now that Virgin Mobile has come out with a new definition of "grandfather'd in" that comes with built in planned obsoletence.....

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

RT78

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

So far, so good. I actually am paying less per month now than I was when I started using Virgin Mobile so I can probably afford to go to $35 if I have to... Except, really after adjusting for taxes and fees that comes out more like $40, just like the current amount comes out closer to $30...

I know I'm a little off topic now but this is a great point. For those of you saying you would rather switch to Tmobile on their $45 plan think about this, I came from Tmobile and the reason was not bad service, it was the high prices. I had a $49.99 plan which sounds great, but after taxes and fees cost me $70 a month. You may have $1.50-$2.50 worth of taxes on VM, but that's still alot better than an extra $20. ;)

KingPenguin

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

If you aren't on VM for large amounts of data, have a look at Ting. I'm considering switching to them this summer when they add LTE phones to their lineup on Sprint's network. Very reasonable prices (again if the quantity of data is below 500MB). They have Wimax now on several devices. You can even get an Optimus S if you can't bear the thought of switching devices.

For my usage pattern, it will come in around $25-$30 a month and everything floats with your usage so some months it might even be less. If you check it out, be sure to check the blog and support forums where they even discuss swapping MEID's.

http://ting.com

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I know I'm a little off topic now but this is a great point. For those of you saying you would rather switch to Tmobile on their $45 plan think about this, I came from Tmobile and the reason was not bad service, it was the high prices. I had a $49.99 plan which sounds great, but after taxes and fees cost me $70 a month. You may have $1.50-$2.50 worth of taxes on VM, but that's still alot better than an extra $20. ;)

I have the 50 prepaid plan with t-mo. My bill is 50 bucks a month. Buying the prepaid time costs about 4 bucks. It appears you were on the post-paid plans that is why you paid high prices.

Reactions: RT78

emmanuelmac

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

So far, so good. I actually am paying less per month now than I was when I started using Virgin Mobile so I can probably afford to go to $35 if I have to... Except, really after adjusting for taxes and fees that comes out more like $40, just like the current amount comes out closer to $30...

You pay tax??!!!
You should buy your top up card from pinzoo.com no taxes whatsoever. If you email me @ anonymousk104@yahoo.com I can send you an invite and we both get $5 after your first buy.

DF3

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Positive is that it seems new phones are finally going to come to VMobile. Negative is that it will result in the loss of the $25 plan to get a worthy successor to the Optimus V.

Seeing as how I rarely break 100 minutes a month, and I'm on Vmobile for the data I'll probably be going over the Tmobile when I decide to finally retire my trusty Optimus V. That won't be for a while though unless I happen to stumble upon an amazing deal on an awesome smartphone compatible with Tmobile.

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
much easier to auto pay via credit or debit. then you dont have to speak with their moronic customer service drones who know less than even 'alex' their other automated moron :banghead:

Reactions: bornagainpenguin

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

For me this changes little for now. I am annoyed by it, but it is true that with no contract I can vote with my feet later if I want to.

As for right now - I have no intention of changing devices again any time soon so I will try and dwell on the fact that for me for now this changes nothing - and as stated above when I do look to upgrade I will look harder at all the alternatives than I might have without this change.

I know $5 or $10 seems trivial but I am constantly working to lower my monthly expenses even if only a few bucks at a time and it has really added up - there is a good chance that VM is still the best deal out there even with this increase - I just hate to see any bill go in that upward direction.

Sure glad the OV is such a b@d@$$ device - love this trusty little guy

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, we shouldn't be complaining. It was bound to happen. Ever since the data hoggers jumped along, VM has had to make serious changes. We.can't blame them, seriously.
If you don't want to pay $5-10 more then go to another carrier. They all have their own ridiculous rules or fine print. Just think, the increase is for somewhat of a better network.
Me personally, I'm switching to TMO with a contract. I'd rather not deal with buying a phone full price every time my phone breaks or stupid things like this happen (VMs change). I live in Puerto Rico, Sprint/VM/Boost does not have 4G and won't have it anytime soon. Seriously their 3G is horrible, even Sprint Contract customers don't reach 1MB speeds, meanwhile At&T has LTE reaching 15+MBs in a huge chunk of the island, Tmobile has very decent and consistent 4G in bigger city areas (reaching like 8 or 9+MBs. They're supposedly announcing LTE this week. And then we have two local prepaid companies also with LTE. So staying with VM, paying $5 more, and buying a 4G phone is pointless for me, because i won't ever use 4G or even faster network capabilities unless i use it when i go visit the Mainland. Plus i don't want to do that and still have LESS than 512kb speeds.
So it all depends on where you live, and your options. If you're gonna benefit fron the upgraded network and better phones, then you should stay quiet because you won't find another carrier doing the same. And every carrier lately has made changes that their customers don't like.
Me, switching to TMO I'd be paying $55, for 300 mins, all incoming calls are free, long distance free, roaming free, nights and weekends free and 2GBs of 4G and if i reach my cap, i just get throttled. Add that to getting the Textplus app, I'm a happy camper(;

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
How is it that so many people are using the 300 minute plan? I have no landline, my cell phone is my ONLY phone and I could NEVER stay under 300 minutes unless I was a hermit or something. Seriously, I wonder at people who only use 100 minutes a month. Im on the $45 a month plan, so I really dont care at all about this announcement, basically I am paying $50 a month no matter where I go. Phone rates are all pretty much the same as I actually use about 400 or more minutes a month.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63