Sprint CEO (all but) confirms EVO's for VM (Confirmed!!!)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/boost-mobile-virgin-mobile-getting-wimax-devices

Old wimax = Evos!

Also, Sprint says most of their losses have been due to network upgrades, which once complete will put them in great shape, which is good news.

Update:
Not only are pictures are surfacing of the new phones (the Evo shows ICS), but someone manged to find the rom and build an ICS rom from it for the old Evo 3d! This absolutely confirms that that we are getting the 3d.

Also, word is, it will be during Q2 of this year, so sometime before the end of next month!

Plus....
There is also now the possibility we may see some of the new phones (Evo 3D, Optimus Elite and One V) before the end of this month allowing some grandfathered users to POSSIBLY get the phones and stay on the old plan. The Evo 3d is least likely to happen before than, and the most likely is the Elite. However, even if you buy it before the cutoff date, there is a chance Virgin will force you onto the new plan, I believe this happened to some Triumph users.

Last edited:

autobotguy

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint CEO confirms EVO's for VM

I don't see anything about the CEO saying that VM will get HTC EVO phones. Just that they WILL be offering WiMAX to VM users. For all we know, they could just be preparing to sell WiMAX mobile hotspots or some cheapo WiMAX compatible phone.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint CEO confirms EVO's for VM

The link doesn't have all the info I have seen on this, but he said it would be older Sprint wimax devices (plural) coming to both prepaid services. Yes, you could be right that it may not be an Evo, but the odds are very much on our side here and most websites seem to be coming to the same conclusion and here's why.

First off let's forget data, Boost doesn't even offer that, and it's not Sprint's primary business, it was also not the focus off the meeting, so that is out. Second, and most importantly, the phone Sprint offers us is most likely still in production, they aren't going to bring back a phone that is end of life, or no longer even being manufactured. This narrows things down considerably (you can't grab a phone from out of country since we are the only ones using CDMA), but also it would need to go through FCC approval. With that in mind:

Current and recent Sprint Wimax phones are:
Evo 3d 4G <-- Older and rumored for Virgin, and recently removed from Sprint site, but not end of life
Evo Design 4G <-- older and rumored for Boost
Samsung Conquer 4G <-- the only oddball, if Boost gets two, why couldn't Virgin?
Samsung Epic 4G <-- older and rumored for Boost

Motorola Photon 4G <-- Too new and too big of a seller
Nexus 4G <-- Too new, expensive, data hog, and exclusive with a 4.65in screen
Samsung Epic 4G Touch <-- <-- Too new, expensive, data hog, and exclusive, large screen

The Evo 3d is special in particular here, besides what I stated above, an important thing to note about the end of life is that based on the lifespan of the Evo 3g and Evo 4G, it has roughly 1 year left of support, give or take, which happens to be about what Virgin expects for their phones. Even if you disregard rumors of what phone we are getting, you still have a 50-75% chance of it being an Evo.

Edit:
I changed the title a bit, but I will go a bit further...
Just speculation, but I would expect the 3D and Design to be priced at about $299 (possibly as high as $350, but no more), the Epic at $250 and the Conquer between $199-$250 (if we were to get it). You can also expect the Triumph to drop below $200 MSRP when these drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: arnold1997

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sprint CEO (all but) confirms EVO's for VM

It's pretty simple, there is a surplus of new, older handsets in Sprint's inventory, and they need to clear em out so they can get LTE offerings on the shelves. I've seen em do this with a number of older handsets, and why not offer them to the bargain crowd? Boost and VM users would love more choices.

rweeks

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone heard any possible dates (rumor's, etc.) when this may be coming to VM ?

ScottColbert

May 3, 2011
Visit site

All I can think of is how VM was supposed to be getting the Optimus Black. I'll believe it when I see it.

rweeks

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing late may or early June because that is when grandfathered users can no longer keep their plans if they upgrade.

That is the timeline that I'm thinking also, which for me, is fine. I was hoping someone may have heard a more definitive date. (want to make sure my finances are in order).

Sent from space

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Update:
Not only are pictures are surfacing of the new phones (the Evo shows ICS), but someone manged to find the rom and build an ICS rom from it for the old Evo 3d! This absolutely confirms that that we are getting the 3d.

Also, word is, it will be during Q2 of this year, so sometime before the end of next month!

Plus....
There is also now the possibility we may see some of the new phones (Evo 3D, Optimus Elite and One V) before the end of this month allowing some grandfathered users to POSSIBLY get the phones and stay on the old plan. The Evo 3d is least likely to happen before than, and the most likely is the Elite. However, even if you buy it before the cutoff date, there is a chance Virgin will force you onto the new plan, I believe this happened to some Triumph users.

kakapopo

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Does the HTC Evo 3D have physical buttons like the optimus v or does it have sense buttons. I tried google searching this qeustion and looking at different pictures of the phone but i couldnt tell. I really dont like sense buttons or whatever theyre called.

squidytweak

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Any chance one could buy a used Sprint evo3d, flash the leaked virgin ICS rom, and activate once virgin releases their evo3d? Not sure if the ESN of the devices have any identifier which carrier its labeled under.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Squidytweak,
You nailed it.
Virgin doesn't share ESN numbers in that way. The only phone they ever allowed to cross over was the Optimus S, and even that option seems missing now. It's possible and doable, it's just not allowed. I would love to see someone try though, because it would be a cheap way to do it.

Reactions: squidytweak

squidytweak

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Haha I was hoping that wasn't the case. I may try activating the used sprint evo3d I got cheap off cowboom when Virgin releases this wonderful phone. I attempted to flash the evo with the optimus V's identity but........wow that is a deep rabbit hole of failure for me. But it has given me a chance to play around with the evo3d. The leaked virgin ICS rom leaked a few days ago is running really well & very nice to use :)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Haha I was hoping that wasn't the case. I may try activating the used sprint evo3d I got cheap off cowboom when Virgin releases this wonderful phone. I attempted to flash the evo with the optimus V's identity but........wow that is a deep rabbit hole of failure for me. But it has given me a chance to play around with the evo3d. The leaked virgin ICS rom leaked a few days ago is running really well & very nice to use :)
That stinks, I keep having to tell people, it's not an easy process by any means.

"I read the guides, you just swap a few numbers".
No guide properly expresses the level of frustration you go through as each step is like "do this", and it doesn't, so you spend the next 3 hours trying figure out that one little step. Then you think "FINALLY, I can move on and it will get easier"... Aaaaaaand of course it doesn't. What reads like a 45 minute job can end end up taking you a few dozen hours over the course of a week. I'm glad you posted your experience, it gives me something to point to and say look, this is what you have to consider happening.

I need to tear into that leak and see if I can port it to my 4G and have MMS and Sense finally.

joshlete

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
That stinks, I keep having to tell people, it's not an easy process by any means.

"I read the guides, you just swap a few numbers".
No guide properly expresses the level of frustration you go through as each step is like "do this", and it doesn't, so you spend the next 3 hours trying figure out that one little step. Then you think "FINALLY, I can move on and it will get easier"... Aaaaaaand of course it doesn't. What reads like a 45 minute job can end end up taking you a few dozen hours over the course of a week. I'm glad you posted your experience, it gives me something to point to and say look, this is what you have to consider happening.

I need to tear into that leak and see if I can port it to my 4G and have MMS and Sense finally.

I can vouch for that. Luckily I managed to get all mine working through a nonstop two day process. Thanks to a certain helper.

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
~waves~ bye bye Ov dev community

im gonna be this penguin one day waking up and thinking "where did everybody go?"
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZPE7v6OnE[/YT]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781