VM Phone Insurance Open Enrollment

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Check this out... Virgin Mobile USA Offers Second Chance to Customers Without Phone Insurance | virginmobileusa.newshq.businesswire.com

WARREN, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In the spirit of A Higher Calling and building a stronger rapport with customers, Virgin Mobile is offering Phone Insurance Open Enrollment, making it easier for customers to protect their mobile investment even if they didn?t sign up at first. ... This limited-time offer is available starting Wednesday, May 2 to Beyond Talk customers through May 31, 2012, and enables customers to add phone insurance no matter when their phone was purchased by visiting virginmobileusa.com and signing into their accounts.

Reactions: dwappo

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, well I'm not doing it now, I'll wait till the other phones come out. But I've always been careful with my phones, they drop sometimes but I don't think I need phone insurance, it's a scam XDD. The Manufacturers insurance should suffice, but thanks for the info.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
A scam? What manufacturer's insurance? You think LG is going to replace your phone if it's lost, damaged, or stolen? I'd say the $5 a month is great if you know you won't have the disposable income to replace your phone if something does happen. I know I take care of my phone too, but sometimes, well, $#!+ happens, you know? :p

MrJedi

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you lose or break a phone every year the total cost of the warranty is between $120-$160. depending on the phone and deductible (OV has a $60 deductible, and the Triumph has a $100 deductible). If you break or lose a phone every 2 years the cost is $180-$220. Currently for the OV, the cost does not make sense. It is on sale for $99 often and a used one (which is what you will most likely get from an insurance claim) can be had for less than the cost of the deductible.

For your next phone, it may make sense. If you plop down $300-400 on an EVO V 3D you may want to consider the warranty. However, I am going to guess the deductible is going to be more than $100 and closer to $150 puting the total cost of replacement after a year of $210. This could end up being half the cost of a new phone, or closer to just a $100 less.

What I plan on doing, and seems like a better deal is keeping my OV as a backup, and putting aside (in cash in the sock drawer :p) $10 a month. This way not only do you have a backup but money towards your next phone.

If you want just damage protection. A SquareTrade 2 year $69 (prior to discounts which are easily found) isn't a bad idea. Doesn't do you any good for lost/stolen phones though.

Even better is the $20 for the Geek Squad warranty I got for 2yrs and covers even more than the Square Trade warranty.

What I am trying to get at is unless you don't have a backup phone, there are better options than the VM coverage.

Reactions: dwappo

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion this is not worth it. First of all, I am still grandfathered in the 25 dollar plan so if something would happen to my phone with insurance or not i will automatically be un-grandfathered due to the phone change. And if i were to loose or break my phone i will just switch to Straight Talk for almost the same monthly charge but unlimited everything. And since i can use any phone with them and it would be a better phone then any new one virgin puts out.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion this is not worth it. First of all, I am still grandfathered in the 25 dollar plan so if something would happen to my phone with insurance or not i will automatically be un-grandfathered due to the phone change. And if i were to loose or break my phone i will just switch to Straight Talk for almost the same monthly charge but unlimited everything. And since i can use any phone with them and it would be a better phone then any new one virgin puts out.

i agree. they can keep their insurance. im moving to straight talk soon enough. i can go totally unlimited for $45 versus $55. its a $10 savings.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Those of you saying your going to straight talk. Install this app for a week. monitor your data usage on 3g and consider this, if you use more than 200mb a day you will be shut off without any real warning. Im not trying to discourage, just wanting to inform you. Make the right decision.

If you dont believe me LeslieAnn linked a thread on hofo were there is atleast five confirmed occurrences of this happening.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&token=tKNgkFXY

MrJedi

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, and either of the T-Mobile $ 30 monthly plans would work for me if I decided to leave VM. 16 days in to my plan month and I have only used 26MB over 3G. 20MB are from running multiple speed tests. I would be really surprised to see 100MBs a month over 3G, let alone in a day for my usage.

I know this usage is not typical. However, if you have access to Wi-Fi at work, home, school, etc. use it. It uses less battery and saves you that awkward conversation with your cell provider :p

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i use wifi everywhere as well so my data usage is about a gig a month because i stream alot of music in my car but that's crap to that they can cut you of like that. We shouldn't get punished for wanting to save some money instead of paying $80 a month plans like everyone else.

But I'm going to keep my vm plan until the optimus v dies or if they release the evo 3d before the cut off for switching phones and getting un grandfathered.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
After confirming the deductible amounts I agree its not worth the money. However researching other carriers its inline with most of them.

Here is a cool website to find out how much a claim would be on a particular phone.

For phones like the rumored HTC devices check with the other carriers that have a similar device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol