Which phone are you upgrading to (if you are)?

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
On a positive note, I've been reading a lot at the xda Evo 3d forums, and I feel fortunate that we'll have a fully functional ICS ROM while Sprint users are still trying to work out the bugs. And we get this without a custom ROM! :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Exactly and $15 more per month and you are a wifi hotspot!! Someone tell me why I need root on this plz?? Hehe never mind..

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to have to go with the Elite. I was looking at the HTC One V but i prefer a more vanilla experience, not a big fan of manufacturer overlays. My wife bought an Elite and I ran a few tests on it. It has a total user memory of over 2.5 gigs, internal memory shows 1.86 gb (if i remember right) and available memory of a little more than 800kb. Downloaded apps go to available memory, but can be moved to internal. This means no more need for link2sd or similar methods. The CPU is actually clocked at1024 mhz, instead of the listed 800mhz. This has been confirmed by a variety of benchmark and CPU apps. Quadrant Standard returns a score of over 2000. Add in the NFC chip and Google Wallet, and I'm sold. Especially for the low price of $129.99 at Bestbuy.

I know it tasks me too and thanks for the awesome stats on the Elite.. It looks like a OV on steroids to me and I would have no phone envy toting that dude around.. Nice handset!! Your post is why I'm here :) Well and the devs lol.. Can't wait for the Evo V posts and reviews coming soon on here.. GL I can smell LeslieAnn's cooking from here.. Mmmm Mmm Putting H2.08 << Awesomeness>>back on the OV tonight..

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I know it tasks me too and thanks for the awesome stats on the Elite.. It looks like a OV on steroids to me and I would have no phone envy toting that dude around.. Nice handset!! Your post is why I'm here :) Well and the devs lol.. Can't wait for the Evo V posts and reviews coming soon on here.. GL I can smell LeslieAnn's cooking from here.. Mmmm Mmm Putting H2.08 << Awesomeness>>back on the OV tonight..

Harmonia 2 (beta) for the Evo V was already cooked and posted a few days ago, just have to know where to find it..

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Since I don't get 4G in my area the Optimus Elite looks like a good upgrade for me. BUT will it have a good amount of ROMs? And does the $15 tethering still apply for that phone? Also how much is the Elite?

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Since I don't get 4G in my area the Optimus Elite looks like a good upgrade for me. BUT will it have a good amount of ROMs? And does the $15 tethering still apply for that phone? Also how much is the Elite?

I have seen no roms or support for it in here and yes It's $15 if it tethers IDK I bet it does.. Costs $149.99 at my walmart..

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Tethering is only available on the Evo V as it's the only phone with a tether app and bypassing it, bricks the phone (sometimes hard, sometimes soft). As for rooting it, as far as I know, it hasn't happened, yet.

You may want to search around, while most seem happy with the performance and the phone in general, a few have called it the next Triumph as they aren't quite as perfect as the OV.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Tethering is only available on the Evo V as it's the only phone with a tether app and bypassing it, bricks the phone (sometimes hard, sometimes soft). As for rooting it, as far as I know, it hasn't happened, yet.

You may want to search around, while most seem happy with the performance and the phone in general, a few have called it the next Triumph as they aren't quite as perfect as the OV.

Maybe it's to early to see root or a ROM yet. And it would be a shame if it was another Triumph. But yeah as much as I love Android. I love rooting and the custom roms. That is why I love android so much. So customizable.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just look at the Elite as a very small upgrade. If I got that phone, I think I would probably end up wanting a new phone in a year, where the Evo will definitely be my phone for at least 2 years.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So I got a chance to play with an HTC Amaze 4G with the ICS update. Figured it should give me a good idea of what the stock Evo V rom will be like. Yeah....reeeeeealy don't like sense UI at all. What's worse is according to Evo 3D forums at XDA it's required for 4G data. :-\

If I hadn't broke my OV I could just wait a few months and see if any senseless roms were released. But as it stands now I either need to buy an Elite within the next 2 days to keep my $25 dollar plan, or wait for Evo V and deal with sense. Decisions decisions.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So I got a chance to play with an HTC Amaze 4G with the ICS update. Figured it should give me a good idea of what the stock Evo V rom will be like. Yeah....reeeeeealy don't like sense UI at all. What's worse is according to Evo 3D forums at XDA it's required for 4G data. :-\

If I hadn't broke my OV I could just wait a few months and see if any senseless roms were released. But as it stands now I either need to buy an Elite within the next 2 days to keep my $25 dollar plan, or wait for Evo V and deal with sense. Decisions decisions.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. If it's just the default launcher you're not happy with, you can obviously change that. Personally, I plan on rocking the APEX Launcher right away since this phone comes with ICS.

2. Remember, the people at XDA are Sprint users flashing Virgin Mobile firmware. Remember when we first started flashing Sprint ROM's on the OV and we couldn't even get data to work? I'm no developer, but I wouldn't be surprised if our transition is easier since we already have stock ICS on the phone. LeslieAnn already stated that AOKP should be ported pretty easily. Maybe wait and see if we're able to get 4G working and then make your decision based on that.

3. I have a couple friends who have HTC phones, and they all said they hated Sense at first, but grew to love it after a week. It's just so different from other UI that they were used to that they initially rejected it.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

XDD that's not going to stop me from getting it, we'll find a way.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Radioshack is no longer taking preorders. I think I'll be waiting until it hits the stores. Hoping I luck out next week!

UPDATE: I just talked to a manager at Radioshack and he was extremely confident that they'll receive it in their store before 6/1 (next Friday). He told me to call back next Wednesday or Friday. He didn't gaurantee anything but he said it's on his list to receive next week. :)

Last edited:

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Another word of advice to everyone who prefers not to preorder:

Check out your smaller local authorized Virgin Mobile dealers (I'm talking local businesses other than your National retailers like Target, Radioshack, Walmart, etc...). I followed a tip I read on Howard Forums and called a few local VM dealers, and I have a couple of them looking to see how quickly they can get the Evo for me. One guy told me that he has a direct contact at VM and he'll do everything he can to get me one shipped to him by tomorrow, although I think that's unlikely. Another store told me that they expect to see them mid next week and that they've been told that they're getting them well before the national retailers.

Not sure if this will pan out, but I wanted to spread the word.

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
A couple things to keep in mind:

1. If it's just the default launcher you're not happy with, you can obviously change that. Personally, I plan on rocking the APEX Launcher right away since this phone comes with ICS.

2. Remember, the people at XDA are Sprint users flashing Virgin Mobile firmware. Remember when we first started flashing Sprint ROM's on the OV and we couldn't even get data to work? I'm no developer, but I wouldn't be surprised if our transition is easier since we already have stock ICS on the phone. LeslieAnn already stated that AOKP should be ported pretty easily. Maybe wait and see if we're able to get 4G working and then make your decision based on that.

3. I have a couple friends who have HTC phones, and they all said they hated Sense at first, but grew to love it after a week. It's just so different from other UI that they were used to that they initially rejected it.

I'm partial to the minimal Zeam launcher but unfortunately that won't get rid of ALL of sense. Is there anyway to change the lockscreen on a sense stock rom?

Since I'm already waiting it out I'll have to pay $35 a month for either phone. And at that point I feel the Evo V is a better deal for 4G options for the same price.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest 3rd party apps like Widgetlocker to change the lockscreen. They have thousands of skins.

Keep in mind that the ICS/Sense will also have the new face recognition unlock option as well. :)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
What's worse is according to Evo 3D forums at XDA it's required for 4G data. :-\
This part is true, for now.

Most are pretty confident That the devs are close on getting 4g to work. I think a lot of the holdup is that many people simply don't use it, so it's not a priority.

nuttyandroid

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
So any one knows if the June 10th date still apply to local stores? I pre ordered it so I should already have it prior June 10th.

Sent from my cave

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Dang it, I was about to buy my wife the $129 optimus elite, and then I showed her the evo 3d thinking she will think its too big, now she kind of wants an evo instead. I should have never pointed it out.

sent from my Nokia 5110

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The elite is looking more and more enticing. I was thinking my wife would appreciate it. however, because of the cpu and screen size it might push me over to do so for myself as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2