Which phone are you upgrading to (if you are)?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Dang it, I was about to buy my wife the $129 optimus elite, and then I showed her the evo 3d thinking she will think its too big, now she kind of wants an evo instead. I should have never pointed it out.
Get her an EvoV or Evo 3d, she will be happier.
Starting to see some issues creep up with the Elite. If nothing else, hold off for the second batch.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Google Galaxy Nexus. Bought the Optimus V because I had been getting good service through our Sprint phones. Then I discovered I wouldn't get the same service through VM. I updated PRL and it seemed to improve. For the past six months, service has been getting worse at my home, and then we put a metal roof on the house so phone service is nil. I do have Google Voice set up on the OV and it works, but the phone was just too slow. Decided to try gsm. First one (son's) we got has an AT&T sim (through Straight Talk but also set up Talkatone). I will try T-Mobile on my newest. ATM, just using Talkatone/GV through wifi and it works great.The phone lacks the sd card slot, but with 16 GB, I think I'll do ok. I do like (ok, LOVE) ICS and pure Google. Currently, don't see a need to root. Getting my 5 month old OV ready to sell.

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Google Galaxy Nexus. Bought the Optimus V because I had been getting good service through our Sprint phones. Then I discovered I wouldn't get the same service through VM. I updated PRL and it seemed to improve. For the past six months, service has been getting worse at my home, and then we put a metal roof on the house so phone service is nil. I do have Google Voice set up on the OV and it works, but the phone was just too slow. Decided to try gsm. First one (son's) we got has an AT&T sim (through Straight Talk but also set up Talkatone). I will try T-Mobile on my newest. ATM, just using Talkatone/GV through wifi and it works great.The phone lacks the sd card slot, but with 16 GB, I think I'll do ok. I do like (ok, LOVE) ICS and pure Google. Currently, don't see a need to root. Getting my 5 month old OV ready to sell.

Not sure if its the right solution for you but have you looked into cell signal boosters ?

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Get her an EvoV or Evo 3d, she will be happier.
Starting to see some issues creep up with the Elite. If nothing else, hold off for the second batch.

Yeah, her birthday is in July, so if I wait a little longer I can consider it a birthday gift. Plus if I buy her an evo v, I can get my self one later on without the guilt trip.

sent from my Nokia 5110

Reactions: cbill

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
How did you like Straight Talk? I'm reconsidering for the100th time lol!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
How did you like Straight Talk? I'm reconsidering for the100th time lol!

Imagine the dumber little sister to our virgin with small change in her play purse for offerings lol. For a cheap phone outfit it's good,, and cheap.. That's it.. Just my experience with them...

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Imagine the dumber little sister to our virgin with small change in her play purse for offerings lol. For a cheap phone outfit it's good,, and cheap.. That's it.. Just my experience with them...

After doing a lot of reading up on both Howard Forums and XDA, it generally seems like the Galaxy Nexus owners are happy with Straight Talk, even in light of the "invisible data cap" fiasco. Plus, I use WIFI 80-90% of the time and barely even use 10mb of data per day when off WIFI. If I was someone who relied on data more, I wouldn't even think of Straight Talk, but I have WIFI at both home and work and my two best friends always let me connect to their WIFI when I'm at their house.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if its the right solution for you but have you looked into cell signal boosters ?
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I did. If I got one through Sprint, it was going to reset my contract another two years. If I just bought one, the cost was high and attaching the outside antenna to the roof of the house presented several problems (getting it set up; lightning; hurricanes) we didn't want to deal with.

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
After doing a lot of reading up on both Howard Forums and XDA, it generally seems like the Galaxy Nexus owners are happy with Straight Talk, even in light of the "invisible data cap" fiasco. Plus, I use WIFI 80-90% of the time and barely even use 10mb of data per day when off WIFI. If I was someone who relied on data more, I wouldn't even think of Straight Talk, but I have WIFI at both home and work and my two best friends always let me connect to their WIFI when I'm at their house.

Good point but no wifi here.. 100% 3G.. T-Mobile has 4G here but no handsets I want yet.. For $100's less than the contract handsets I'll wait on the Evo V w / VM than the most cutting edge 4G handset out there today.. I't's just a better tested handset and most of the old bugs are worked out imo. The slimmer w/ smaller batteries today's handsets get,, the less I like them.. The Evo V is the best robust old guard handset out there that's still got game on pre paid vs contract imo.. Well then there's the Boost offering but..

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Wifi has terrible penetration, Wimax is better, but it too has penetration issues.
Yes you can ramp up the power but only so much.

Wifi is the same frequency as water and won't penetrate it, trees, rain, water pipes, etc.. all soak up wifi like a sponge.

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Wifi has terrible penetration, Wimax is better, but it too has penetration issues.
Yes you can ramp up the power but only so much.

Wifi is the same frequency as water and won't penetrate it, trees, rain, water pipes, etc.. all soak up wifi like a sponge.

So it should be spelled WHYFI?? is what I'm hearing lol.. Thx I did not know that..

arnold1997

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why it wouldn't have it, although face unlock is not really useful.

I wouldnt really use it either but its a cool feature to have.
Also i asked this because i heard the face unlock was only for the nexus. But since this is stock ICS it might be different

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
If ur upgrading ur phone u would have to move to the $35 month plan right? On any phone?

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If ur upgrading ur phone u would have to move to the $35 month plan right? On any phone?

yes. for example if you have the optimus with the 25 plan and you want to upgrade to a 4g phone like the EVO then you would have to go to new cheap plan which is the 35. In other words you cant grandfather it... however im not sure if this applies to 3g phones like the triumph or the optimus elite... anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith