Which phone are you upgrading to (if you are)?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
With so many new phones coming, I'm curious about which phone people here are going to move to. This should help others get an idea of where they want to head as well.

No poll because I'm sure most are interested as tow here the devs will be going.

Personally, I'm buying a 3D a soon as I can convince a manager to pull one from the back room (A.K.A. before it hits shelves). And it will be getting at least one version of Harmonia.

I will be getting a OneV for my mom, how much dev work I do on that I don't know. It's likely none. I would rather she be on a stable, stock setup. If that fails i will root and rom and maybe start developing for it.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say evo. But it would all depend on what ever phone the majority of the devs get, I'm too lazy and impatient to build my own roms, I like you geniuses doing the work for me :D

sent from my Nokia 5110

Reactions: drm1992

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say evo. But it would all depend on what ever phone the majority of the devs get, I'm too lazy and impatient to build my own roms, I like you geniuses doing the work for me :D

sent from my Nokia 5110

Lol, which is why we are all going to the Evo 3D/4g/whatever. xD

Maybe a ICS Harmonia? lol, we can dream.

Edit: shouldn't there be a poll? xD

Reactions: drm1992

MrJedi

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I am torn between wanting to stay with VM and buy a 3D or buying an original Motorola Atrix (used about $200 new around $300) and going prepaid. I like the Atrix because of the available accessories and how cheap they are now. You can buy the lapdock, car dock, desk dock, and HD dock for about $175 for all 4 on amazon. Not bad when the best price for the lapdock when it debuted was $299 after all incentives. Granted that was 2 years ago. Really I just like the integrated docks Motorola makes. When my friend bought his OG Droid and Car dock a several years ago I was sold on dropping Blackberry for Android. Had the Moto Titanium had any of these neat docks I probably would have purchased it instead of my OV last July.

However, as much as I like the idea of having a nifty dock, the Atrix Dev community seams less ubiquitous than the Evo 3d. I will probably get the 3D and buy a 3rd party car dock like the iGrip PerfektFit.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a ICS Harmonia? lol, we can dream.

Edit: shouldn't there be a poll? xD

Odds are it will be ICS based Sense, since that is what it comes with. Remember Harmonia is "what Virgin should have released".

As for a poll, I didn't put one because I figure people will want to see where their favorite developer is going. A poll would have given anonymous results. Having a lot of people on the phone is good, as is a lot of devs, but some I'm sure would prefer to get the same phone as their favorite dev.

Honestly, I don't think it matters much. Having lots of good developers is good and odds are you will find something you like regardless, but some are fiercely loyal. Personally I would just like a lot of us to stick together, be it here or another forum. Which is a major reason behind my side project.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I like the Atrix because of the available accessories and how cheap they are now.
It's an interesting idea, but seems poorly designed in some ways (the dock). I could see it breaking in my travel/work bag.

I'm waiting for the Google/Asus Tablet, which I'll probably make into a laptop (some sort of case, with bluetooth keyboard). This way you get a tablet, a laptop, and no phone sticking out the back.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Evo or Triumph. Leaning towards Triumph. The Evo will probably be way out of my price range.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Considering I flashed my OV over to Sprint (which was a major pain, but completely worth it compared to my old Brew OS phone), I'm not going to change phones anytime soon (and have to go through all that hassle again). But obviously, I'm something of a oddity...

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Odds are it will be ICS based Sense, since that is what it comes with. Remember Harmonia is "what Virgin should have released".

As for a poll, I didn't put one because I figure people will want to see where their favorite developer is going. A poll would have given anonymous results. Having a lot of people on the phone is good, as is a lot of devs, but some I'm sure would prefer to get the same phone as their favorite dev.

Honestly, I don't think it matters much. Having lots of good developers is good and odds are you will find something you like regardless, but some are fiercely loyal. Personally I would just like a lot of us to stick together, be it here or another forum. Which is a major reason behind my side project.

Yea I agree, I had the LG Rumor Touch, and I loved that phone (no dev support or anything), but you have to admit, after you find this magical place where anything (almost) can be done to your phone, and then you see the people who made it possible, you tend to go (if the funds are avabile) where they go, unless you really don't like where they are going (like if you went to t-mobile, 97% chance I would not follow you, just because of the different carrier, or if you went to the venture XDD).

But I like this phone (the 3D), and if we get it, I'll be one of the "followers" lol.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go with the 3D as soon as possible. I may even try and get my hands dirty with making my own custom rom.

Sent from space

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Chances are I'll be on the OV for a.while, but I may get the itch and buy one of them. I'd like a One V, but I also kinda don't want it since it is a cheaper version of the One X. I think I'm going to wait to see what you guys that get one start to say. That way I'm not stuck with a crap phone (in case one of them turns out to be a dud).

As for devs, I feel like both phones will get split even, unless one phone is drastically better than the other. Also, since I'm partly a Dev myself, I'm not exactly afraid of getting a phone with less development, since all you really need is a custom kernel.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
That way I'm not stuck with a crap phone (in case one of them turns out to be a dud).

While the OneV is up in the air.
The 3D was a slow seller, but not because of problems. New users and Evo 4G users simply didn't see a point in it over the 4G. It's better in most ways, but 4G users didn't see it being worth the added expense, and new users found the 4G still to be a competent phone or went with something cheaper. By the time the 4G was cleared out, HTC had released over Evos that were 90% as good, at half the price.

The 4g was just a hard act to follow and they sold a TON of them. Up until a few months ago, the Evo 4G was still making top ten lists on best phones to buy (if you could find it). Pretty impressive for a 2 year old cell phone in this day and age. They are easy to find for cheap on Ebay, but that is only due to the sheer number they sold, even then, they sell pretty fast.

In other words, don't expect the 3G to be a dud. Especially since the new ICS/Sense just gave new life to the older models. The only thing that will hurt it, is the price, but being 4g, that will improve sales numbers even with a high buy in cost.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it will be a dud, but since virgin mobile has to do stuff there is always an outside chance. IF the One comes to VM, it seems like the 3D will be better because of the cheaper hardware that the one v uses (compared to the one x, idk how it is compared to the 3D). I just want another phone, I'm greedy, and as much as I love vanilla android, sense 4 looks mighty sweet.

Question, on HTC phones, are there a lot of vanilla android builds or do most of the rooms come from sense? I really don't like skins in general.

rweeks

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am also going with the 3D as soon as it becomes available. I have already made arrangements with a friend who is a manager at Radio Shack to pull one for me before they hit the shelves. As far as favorite dev. I have enjoyed my OV (still do) since installing Harmonia, that I plan on following that dev.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It's the Evo 3D, however, it is being renamed the "Virgin Mobile Evo 4G" (it may have HTC somewhere in there as well).

It's a stupid thing to do from a technical standpoint, but I can understand why they are doing it from a marketing standpoint.
I can already see the bricked phones from people flashing Sprint Evo 4G roms.