LG optimus Elite offer from google.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Word going around is that there is a deadline of the 19th, 20th, or 21st that you can get one and switch to without losing grandfathered status.

However, with how much Virgin has screwed up press releases this month, I wouldn't trust anything. You might get it and not show a change and then next month have your bill go up.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Word from Virgin is that you have until the 20th to swap an Elite and stay grandfathered.

Someone had their bill re-up and it stayed $25 and says their next bill will also be $25. So if you want an Elite, do it fast.

thoughtlover

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and bought the elite after seeing the $25 google wallet offer:
The Ultimate Pay Phone | virginmobileusa.newshq.businesswire.com

I figure if they try to eat my grandfathered plan, I can point to the Facebook posts and the conversation I had with one of the VM reps, and ask that they revert it.

The Elite has a very different feel than the V:
The Elite is a bit thinner, wider, and taller than the V.
The back cover has a more plastic-y feel than the V (I like the V's back cover more).
The front is all glass with touch screen buttons.
The volume is on the opposite side.

Reactions: blizard

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I figure if they try to eat my grandfathered plan, I can point to the Facebook posts and the conversation I had with one of the VM reps, and ask that they revert it.
That won't help you.
Even if you prove it, they likely can't put it back. You won't be the first or last to have it happen.

Even if you complain on the way up, they will just blame the Facebook monkeys and say sorry, maybe offer a free month of service.

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and bought the elite after seeing the $25 google wallet offer:
The Ultimate Pay Phone | virginmobileusa.newshq.businesswire.com

The Elite has a very different feel than the V:
The Elite is a bit thinner, wider, and taller than the V.
The back cover has a more plastic-y feel than the V (I like the V's back cover more).
The front is all glass with touch screen buttons.
The volume is on the opposite side.

thoughtlover, I believe you're right in that you'll get your grandfathered plan, HOWEVER you will not be able to get it back if they do a mass pull or if they rewrite the tos (which they should give us a heads up on). The official contract states that after and on the 27th if you upgrade to a phone you will be bumped up. This starting on the 27th applies only if you upgrade to a phone released after may first. This includes the optimus elite. Side grades and downgrades do not apply to pre may first phones, however sidegrades or upgrades on the optimus elite WILL push the optimus elite price jump
Learn about new Beyond Talk device upgrade rules

What this means is, that if you buy the the Optimus Elite NOW you will keep the grandfather clause. HOWEVER if you phone swap to another Optimus elite your grandfathered plan will jump to 35. This is what official reps like Jayne wallace and the clause itself confirms.
Updated: Virgin Mobile Confirns that Optimus Elites Activated before May 27th Will Be Grandfathered | Prepaid Phone News

If you upgrade the OV to the elite AFTER the 27th then expect the plan to be bumped to $35. As for the OE itself, it is still new, doesn't have the dev community behind it (yet), and doesn't have the appeal EVO and ONE V has so I don't think VM is going to go and disable all OE's grandfather clauses since it will be bad for customer relations.

Also the EVO and the one V should be released after the 27th, and the elite with it's limited preorders and forced upgrade after a refurbish or repair will mean that it has a MUCH higher chance of going on the $35 plan.

So again, original contract bolds the word upgrade and highlights may 27th. So the plan will stick if you upgrade before the 27th to elite and stick to the SAME EXACT OPTIMUS ELITE. Or if you repair, swap the plan to an OV and then buy a new plan for the elite.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It would be pretty lame if they screwed the people who pre-ordered Elites out of the deal.
Im sorry if you bought before the offer was in place its not screwing you. If you buy a new car and two weeks later they offer 250 dollars worth of gas if you buy from that day on you cant expect to get that offer.

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
That won't help you.
Even if you prove it, they likely can't put it back. You won't be the first or last to have it happen.

Even if you complain on the way up, they will just blame the Facebook monkeys and say sorry, maybe offer a free month of service.

facebook monkeys...nice. lol and those are the smart csr's

faheyd

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Just activated my Elite tonight from a LG Optimus V, I'm still on the $25 as far as the billing.
Did the google wallet and got $10 immediate credit and according to the internetz, I will get the remaining $15 soon.

Hopefully someone will root this and get us some goodness.

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Just activated my Elite tonight from a LG Optimus V, I'm still on the $25 as far as the billing.
Did the google wallet and got $10 immediate credit and according to the internetz, I will get the remaining $15 soon.

Hopefully someone will root this and get us some goodness.

to do this, do you just hit activate google prepaid card even if i don't have one? It gave me the $10 withouth having to enter any info. will i still get the $15?

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
has anyone seen a root method yet? Really love this phone compared to my optimus S. And way cheaper. Google wallet is the whip cream on top.

Robertdol

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
That won't help you.

You are right LeslieAnn....at least for me anyway. I was told by several CS reps I could
grandfather in. Even documented my file, gave me her badge number, name, and
transaction ID to verify I was covered.

Then I started having really slow 3G speeds...under 100kb. Slower than if I went past
the 2.5 gig limit. So, 3-5 calls into VM CS (maybe should be called BS..I digress),
and that got me passed up to tier 3 for resolution.

The issue when they tried to fix it came back and said "This phone is not compatable
with the $25 Beyond Talk Plan." I could move up to the $35 plan and they would
give me one month free.

Good thing I kept my OV. I had them put it back on my account since they stressed
that ANY phone released AFTER MAY 1st REQUIRES the current plan rates. I asked
them if they would refund the money for the phone since I was out of the 14 day window.
They told me no since I didn't buy it from them. Anyway, I was able to talk with
the store manager and they did do a refund so that kept me from paying
$150 for a phone and then another $120 per year for the same plan.

I came out okay.....just barely. A few more days and I would not have been able
to return the phone.

What really gets me, is that if I had to pay more for the same plan, I would have waited
for the 4G to come out because I have it in my area. I feel like they are going to
whack some people twice because of their poor communications on the early
release of the Elite, only to cover their butt's by specifically excluding the Elite in
the wording of the grandfathered plan.

I got lucky. I hope the rest of you are able to stay under the radar. I think it
flagged me since they had to try and reactivate the plan after the 27th.

Good luck everyone.